Compare and Contrast the following as rations eaten cold going to windward in rain

prv

Visit site
No wonder the French consider us barbarians..... ;)

Well, those of us that eat the kind of grot described in this thread, anyway :)

Last time I needed to do food in bouncy weather, it consisted of several cold chicken breasts cut into chunks, the end of a roast ham also cut into chunks, an open jar of peach chutney, and several warm (just baked) baguettes ripped in half - all placed in the boat's biggest cooking pot and lashed down in a corner of the cockpit out of the spray. We could then reach in to retrieve various tasty morsels and combinations of the above. Rather inelegant serving, admittedly, but good food.

That day was windy (F7) but sunny; it wouldn't have worked in the rain as the pot would have filled up :D

Pete

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
"Baked beans, cold, out of the tin with a spoon. Heaven."

Stir in some chocolate spread to make a better balanced diet.

and thanks boaterbaz for the eggs in a kettle tip; we'll be using that one! If we're cooking rice/pasta/potatoes, we often add half a dozen eggs in a poly bag to the pot; it boils them for free and if one or two crack, the bag prevents us having eggy-potatoes.

dancrane

Visit site
Nothing tests the gentility of skipper & crew better than what they're not prepared to call food, in the confines of a tiny boat, in nauseating weather.

Dry bread is pretty damned good if there's a risk of vomming...assuming your taste isn't for white sliced. Decent bread never needs much adding.

Beer is disastrous when it's rough weather. Too much liquid. Wine is too, even good wine - something about its similarity to vinegar.

Strong cocktails are safe, as long as they're not sickly-sweet. My novice crew and I reckoned a dry martini and crusty brown rolls were great...

...not so different from 18th century grog and hard tack, I s'pose... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

oldbilbo

Visit site
"Baked beans, cold, out of the tin with a spoon. Heaven."

Stir in some chocolate spread to make a better balanced diet.

and thanks boaterbaz for the eggs in a kettle tip; we'll be using that one! If we're cooking rice/pasta/potatoes, we often add half a dozen eggs in a poly bag to the pot; it boils them for free and if one or two crack, the bag prevents us having eggy-potatoes.

Now this is shaping up to being a 'REALLY USEFUL THREAD'.....

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
Now this is shaping up to being a 'REALLY USEFUL THREAD'.....

"it has Capabilities, Sir, Capabilities":)

Oldbilbo, this was intended to be a bit of light hearted research, to widen our cold scran options this year.
the eggs idea is really good, not sure about BBs and Chocolate spread- emmental cheese in BBs might be our preference!

prv

Visit site
Corned beef, Branston pickle and a soft boiled egg all in a morning roll or soft bap. Hot chocolate to drink.

That sounds pretty good to me. I've just made my sandwiches for work tomorrow; corned beef and piccalilli. A boiled egg would definitely go with the beef, but probably not the piccalilli; not sure about the pickle.

Pete

prv

Visit site
Oldbilbo, this was intended to be a bit of light hearted research, to widen our cold scran options this year.

Still don't understand why you're determined to only eat cold things when "going to windward in rain", which I assume implies grotty weather generally. Surely it's much nicer, in such conditions, to have something hot?

Pete

jamie N

Visit site
Still don't understand why you're determined to only eat cold things when "going to windward in rain", which I assume implies grotty weather generally. Surely it's much nicer, in such conditions, to have something hot?

Pete

A Bloody Mary with extra tabasco?

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site

Pete

Pete,
it's probably a hang over from our dinghy and RF cruising days-only got a gimballed cooker with latest boat, so in bad weather, we tend to have 2.5 litres of hot water in thermos's, and eat cold ' comfort' food, and for hot Hot Cans/MRE packs, and now SWMBo's latest toy a Hot Box.
Also have a heavy pvc 'Kenwood chef' apron, donkeys years old- Kenwood long dead but the pinny lives on.:D

Also, I have cooked in heavy weather when racing hard upwind, and the physical effort to just keep upright, pans on stove and food in pans without burns/scalding, even in oilies was exhausting, let alone do my primary jobs of Nav/Tac and spinny repacker without puking or getting slung right across the saloon while slamming through waves in a F7/8.
That Regatta made me realise why i preferred cruising!

We are not that Spartan, being quite fond of premixed jumbo rolled oats in a mug with raisins and cranberries, in hot water, if someone can face being below;)

Dick

Visit site
Of Course, Motor boat entries are restricted solely to fois gras, and those cheeses, other pates, Eton Mess, etc which will not stain white slacks/shirts/skirts whilst entertaining on the fantail after arrival, and before popping into that loverly little bistro before all those 'ghastly wrraggies' turn up and drip sea water onto everyone:)

You can tell it's raining, can't you?;)

You have a very funny idea of the sort of person who buys a mobo. All the ones I know are great guys, but upmarket - no way.