Companionway/Hatch locks

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
There appears to be very few hatch locks on the market, if my initial trawl on the web is anything to go by.

The only one I saw that looked any good was the Osprey Latch but at £118 looked a bit expensive.

Has anyone got any ideas that would be better than the regular hasp and staple with a padlock, unless there is a hasp staple arrangment on the market that is rether tougher than the usual offerings?

Thanks Nick

rob2

Visit site
I assume you have the usual sliding hatch and washboards? Most people use a hasp and staple with a padlock, but there's no reason you shouldn't beef up the top edge of the washboards to take a Yale type rimlatch. The slide needs to be reversed so as to slam shut and a suitable stop made up, but they're relatively cheap and will make the hatch key operated from the outside and can be opened from inside the cabin by the handle.

Rob.

pvb

Visit site
I don't see a lot of point in excessive measures for companionway locks. If someone wants to get in to your boat badly enough, they'll find a way. Ordinary hatches are rarely very secure.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
I made my own lock and it is very secure.My washboards are 2cm thick plywood.If burglars want to get in they will regardless but my set up will discourage the less commited ones.I'll be at the boat tomorrow and can take pictures.

rob2

Visit site
I agree that excessive security can attract attention, but the average oik comes equipped with bolt croppers to cut off a padlock and a key operated lock is beyond them. My hatch has a pair of plunger locks which are as old as the boat and get a squirt of WD40 every couple of months - doing fine so far.

I suggested a rimlock as externally all that can be seen is a cylinder lock like on a domestic front door and most are not tooled up to deal with them. Unfortunately one of my friends had an excellent locking system so the sneaks smashed the bulkhead to get in! There wasn't actually anything inside that they could nick, so they vandalised the whole boat rendering it a constructive write-off.

Rob.

ROBMH

Visit site
Locks

I agree too much security may cause the determined thief to cause structual damage that would probably cost more to repare than the items stolen.(a friend of mine had his boat written off because of this)
Its a matter of finding a happy medium that will deter the casual oppotunist but still satisfy the insurance company.

Having said that, It may be worth looking at the type of dead locks found on some vans that are after market fitted. they are very strong and offer good corrosion resistance.
I think screwfix does one.
regards
Rob

pvb

Visit site
Its a matter of finding a happy medium that will deter the casual oppotunist but still satisfy the insurance company.

I can't imagine that the insurance company would expect anything more than the rudimentary system fitted to the boat originally.

Pleiades

Visit site
(Escape) Hatch Lock

Hi Nick, the point about the Osprey type Hatch Lock - and why they are so expensive, is that you can secure or open them from inside. This is not to stop burglars but to secure your hatch and washboards should you ever be unfortunate enough to be caught out in seas big enough to sweep the cockpit. The pucker type will thus hold the hatch closed and the washboards in place even in the event of a knockdown or inversion while still offering the obligatory easy to open feature from crew getting in or getting out. So although a conventional hasp and padlock may be equally burglar resistant you get rather more for your money with the proper kit.
Hope you never have need to put it to the test of course!

Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5

Bodach na mara

Visit site
I bought two of these http://www.westerly-yachts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=35 from Trafalgar for Wight Dawn, which has two hatches needing treatment. They fit to the top washboards and stop the sliding hatches from being opened. They are much neater than the padlocks they replace and are just as secure.

I take the point about potential thieves breaking in if they cannot defeat the lock. That happened to me. The locking system was not based on keys, but on removing or turning bits of wood in a certain order. The unwanted visitors just kicked in the washboards. As there was nothing to steal, they just emptied all the jars of sugar, tea and coffee into the bilge and added a bottle of Fairy liquid.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
There appears to be very few hatch locks on the market, if my initial trawl on the web is anything to go by.

The only one I saw that looked any good was the Osprey Latch but at £118 looked a bit expensive.

Has anyone got any ideas that would be better than the regular hasp and staple with a padlock, unless there is a hasp staple arrangment on the market that is rether tougher than the usual offerings?

Thanks Nick

Hi, The Hatch Latch is the Rolls Royce of companionway security. It has other benifits-can be secured from inside when lying ahull and can be opened by rescuers from outside when so secured,as per ROYC requirements. Of course a determined thief will always get in and probably cause severe damage in so doing. I recently fitted one and feel better for having it. It is as the OP said difficult to find a heavy duty S/S hasp and staple suitable for marine use. I know- I looked on the internet for hours and found nothing in stainless. Unless they bring an axe, sledgehammer or motor angle grinder thieves wont get into my companionway.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
I made this lock using the old one to operate a sliding stainless steel plate that's pushed down by a pair of small springs.There's a fitting bolted to the sliding hach where the lock engages.It looks a bit rough but works very smoothly.It's also very robust.

png.png

The workings

DSC_0185.png

Sideview

DSC_0183.png

Locked position

png2.png

Unlocked position

cliff

Visit site
For barrel type locks I would suggest the Regent Lock Company - they manufacture the locks in house and will supply one offs. They do a "marine grade" lock as in all stainless steel / bronze etc and can supply keyed alike if required - I bought two KA so have two locks and four keys which open either lock. Additional keys are a little pricey hence I went for the KA option also saves trying to remember which key fits which lock.

I don't have the details handy but a little Google will come up with their number.

Bodach na mara

Visit site
I tried a Google and came up with a company in Chippenham. Is that them Cliff? They do not seem to have a web site. I am interested as I may need to renew the ones I got from Trafalgar (mentioned earlier) if they get broken or vandalised. By the way, Trafalgar is closed until 25th January this year.