Cockpit drain blocked at U-bend

Luki-lusaki

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a solution please?
My cockpit drain is blocked. The first 2m are clear, then there is a bend in the pipe which I cannot clear. I am mindful of causing damage by putting "strong" drain unblockers down, but wash-up liquids and the like do not work. I keep trying a jet of water via the hosepipe, which takes hours to drain. Do I need the diver? (I suspect my hairy dog is to blame).

Refueler

Visit site
Local DIY shop ... a 'pipe-snake' is best bet .... its basically a spiral wound wire cable that you feed in while turning the handle end ... it will go round bends etc when you keep turning it .... can be had in short to very long lengths ...

I have one on board to clear my cockpit drains from leaves and all sorts of crap that blocks them.

VicS

Visit site
I'd cautiously try a bath and sink plug hole unblocker.

Depending on brand it would likely contain upto about 10% caustic soda plus other ingredients. Care therefore needed. ( gloves and eye protection ) Overdone it could get quite warm !

Caustic soda will shift hair.. that's why it's used for unblocking bath and shower tray drains.

Refueler

Visit site
I'd cautiously try a bath and sink plug hole unblocker.

Depending on brand it would likely contain upto about 10% caustic soda plus other ingredients. Care therefore needed. ( gloves and eye protection ) Overdone it could get quite warm !

Caustic soda will shift hair.. that's why it's used for unblocking bath and shower tray drains.

Trouble is - and this has happened to me more than once - if the Caustic Approach doesn't work - you then have a pipe with Caustic in to deal with ...

I agree its worth a try though - if its really hair blocking it ...

I'd be inclined to try the 'pipe-snake' first though ...

ean_p

Visit site
What is the internal diameter of the 'pipe' and what is the material it is made from please? Is there a good reason to have a 'bend' in the pipe ?

Poignard

Visit site
I've used some stiff electrical wire to unblock pipes in the past. Might be worth drying the boat out and attacking from the underside.
I have a length of plastic covered spiral curtain wire for poking down my deck scuppers, which get blocked with leaves when she is laid up in the winter.

But I might get one of those £4.99 sanisnakes shown in my post #5.

DanTribe

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a solution please?
My cockpit drain is blocked. The first 2m are clear, then there is a bend in the pipe which I cannot clear. I am mindful of causing damage by putting "strong" drain unblockers down, but wash-up liquids and the like do not work. I keep trying a jet of water via the hosepipe, which takes hours to drain. Do I need the diver? (I suspect my hairy dog is to blame).
I have used the inflatable dinghy pump to clear mine a few times. Need to wrap cloth to make a good seal. Take care if doing it from outside, you could get a geyser of gunge!

Neeves

Visit site
Commonly and if the pipe is bent then it might simply be a bit of reinforced hose pipe, of a larger diameter than a domestic hose. If it is a hose pipe it will then be secured with hose clamps, or if you are old enough Jubilee clips. Loosen the clamps/clips take hose pipe off, straighten, and then reem out with an appropriately length of rod. Replace.

Unless you really old you will have a mobile phone - use it - it has a camera and you can post a picture and we can see what you are talking about - other wise we are making suggestions without a complete picture :)

Jonathan

Refueler

Visit site
I have a length of plastic covered spiral curtain wire for poking down my deck scuppers, which get blocked with leaves when she is laid up in the winter.

But I might get one of those £4.99 sanisnakes shown in my post #5.

The only downside of the 'snakes' - they rust very quickly ... BUT at the price - they are not a ball-breaker to replace ....

I do advise getting a decent plastic container or bag to store it in - the rust stains are hard to remove !!

Stemar

Visit site
If it's blocked at a bend, is there a kink in the pipe? The washbasin on Jazzcat used to block regularly until I fitted an elbow, which solved the problem. OP describes it as a U bend. I can't see any reason for such a thing in a cockpit drain, so I'd be looking to reroute the pipe.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
The only downside of the 'snakes' - they rust very quickly ... BUT at the price - they are not a ball-breaker to replace ....

I do advise getting a decent plastic container or bag to store it in - the rust stains are hard to remove !!
I have had one for years it lives in the cellar with other used occasionally stuff it's as good now as when it was bought but it didn't cost £4.99 as in Poignards examples, quite a bit more if I remember. From memory it doesn't have any coating but all it ever received after doing its job was a was in water which was quite frequent when I was a volunteer handyman for a Grenoble refugee housing association ( you can guess where it went most of the times). It has several ends that can be fitted for different types of blockage.

Buy cheap, buy rubbish and you will be buying again.

Rappey

Visit site
I had a blocked one. Tried a pressure wash both ends but no joy. Ended up having to take it apart

johnalison

Visit site
My cockpit drains join the drains from the scuppers at T-junction. One of them got blocked, probably by leaves, a couple of years ago. My snake didn't have any effect. In the end I found some hose that fitted in the tube and rammed this in and out and it cleared it fully.