clovelly

wotayottie

Visit site
Just been there for the first time, so here's a few comments for those that havent yet made it.

There was room along the quay wall for a 34 footer, a 33 footer, and a 31 footer end to end - piccies in the pub show this situation with boats rafted up to 3 deep. The quay wall is an old stone block construction with some roughish vertical timbers - the ones near my boat showing white gel coat scars - and the outer of the three boats has to contend with stone steps on the curve as well. the bottom is reasonably clean sloping sand, suitable for a bilge keeler to dry out.

protection didnt seem bad in the NE4 when we were there, but this definitely isnt a place to try for the first time in unsettled weather. harbourmaster is friendly and helpful. charges reasonable at £5 per night, though all you get for that is a grubby single shower / toilet. there's a pub (poor service) and the village is pretty.

dont regret going but equallly wont hurry to go back. dont even think of trying it in the dark - pots buoys just a few feet from the approach line.

NigelBirch

Visit site
I can recommend the tea shop half way up the hill. It has a little terrace out the back overlooking the harbour and serves a very fine cream tea....

tangomoon

Visit site
Sounds like most places now - poor service - lousy food - sticky tables - zit picking cooks

Have been to Marisco Tavern twice this year and twice last- food was lousy - only beef stew last time - How do you mess that up? When I complained waitress said "You ate it all anyway". I told her that after 14 hours at sea anything was good enough.

Why is it so difficult to get a decnet cooked meal even a roast is impossible.

kds

www.canongrange.co.uk
"Why is it so difficult to get a decnet cooked meal even a roast is impossible."

You really must come and spend a couple of nights here in Wells (Somerset).
I can recommend half a dozen places within 150 yards of me. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
And a good B&B !
Ken

bluedragon

Visit site
We arrived at LW back in June and decided to anchor outside. It seemed like we'd be trapped inside for most of the tide otherwise. No probs so long as the wind is offshore. Glad we went, and we'd use it again to break up a journey to / from Padstow, but otherwise an hour ashore and we'd had enough.

tangomoon

Visit site
Hi. I am afraid your response is one I have come across on numerous occasions, "Oh, I/We know this lovely little pub/ restaurant....." We have fallen for it too! Always there is a problem, sticky glasses/table, dirty cutlery, overcoked/undercooked, the cook (chef is beyond the reach of the vast majority) picking his nose or squeezing zits, hair in the food, the waitress calling everyone darling/sweetheart/mate.... we have this year been to and walked out of places or been thoroughly disappointed in Lundy, Clovelly, Padstow, Bryher, St Mary, Newlyn, Falmouth, Bristol, Taunton, Swansea - the list is interminable as is the list of problems - surly waitresses, long waits, poor service, bad and awful food in many guises. No thanks it's fish and chips or a sandwich and even that is a lottery! Bed and breakfasts and hotels - now there's another long list and the main reason we bought our motor home. We make freshly cooked food where ever we go - lobster, crab, bass, mackerel, prawns on board mainly and sometimes in motor home with fish and chips or Tesco 1/4 lb beefburger and onions when we don't want to cook. There is so much rubbish out there and 'good' restaurants can be just as bad as the usual rubbish on occasions. PS can't get the boat up to Wells - nice place but bet you I could find somthing to baulk at in most places. When was the last time you asked to see the kitchen before you ate in the hotel/restaurant/pub. Stand there and watch what goes on, better still go round the back and look through the window then decide if you want to eat there. Best of luck! We do our own cooking, it's the only way to have good quality, fresh food to eat.