Clipper Duet

Dyflin

Visit site
With regard to the recent discussion, "would you do it again.."

I was considering buying the Clipper Duet and just wondered what people's experience with this unit has been? Good value or waste of money?

~Dyflin

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

They sell a lot of units so I suppose they must have a number of happy customers. Personally I have had very bad experiences which have included poor service, unreliable operation and downright rudeness on their boatshow stand. Howwever, NASA tested my unit and have said it is 100% okay (since they fixed it the last time). NASA claim that condensation is a fact of life, but Raymarine iunstruments are considered faulty when condensation appears inside - and so far my other Raymarine instruments have remained clear and dry for two years!

Fundamentally, the measure of a good supplier is not when everything works but their attitude and speed when it goes wrong. Then they show their true colours. Right now NASA have a French flag.

Strictly in the theme of answering your question, my unit is now for sale ... if you want it, then contact me. I'm sure we could haggle a fair price which will save you a bundle off the RRP. It's the NASA Clipper dUET (SPEED and DEPTH).

The flip side is the Raymarine unit which I wanted in the first place. The manuals are comprehensive, the wiring connectors moulded and professional, the units have an LCD display which have 100% even illumination at night vs the NASA which use a row of bright LED's. The depth sounder continues to display depths down to 400 feet and never flashes "out" at you. The log on the Raymarine unit lets you see speeds and depths to two decimal places (yes, this can help). The Raymarine unit also has a timer (amongst a zillion other fetures) which is useful if you are a racer (not me) or better still if you are a solo cruiser and want a ten minute nap at the helm.

Budget is a factor, but IF you can afford the Raymarine system you are definitely buying a better system. I wish I had not spent the (circa) £300 on NASA in the first place.

I hope this has been fair and balanced enough?

Constructively yours,

Humperdinck

<hr width=100% size=1>Humperdinck

Email: HJ@Seacracker.org

stevebirch2002

www.albinvega.co.uk
I find the NASA Clipper range is good value for money. They are not in the same class as the Raymarine but they are half the price! When I do my next boat up it will have seperate Log and Depth as you get easily confused between the two at the wrong moments, especially when the depth and speed are similar e.g. 5 knots and 5 metres. Believe me when you want to look quickly it really does make a difference. If I was buying and price was not a factor then i would choose Raymarine (Autohelm) but as aid before the NASA Clipper range is great for the money. You pays your money and takes your choice....

Steve B (I have now launched - lovely Saturday on The Solent)

<hr width=100% size=1>Albin Vega "Southern Comfort" V1703

LeytonC

Visit site
I have had 1 for 3 years, and I have never had problems with the head unit,
but the skin fitting for the paddle wheel has broken twice, first time gave a
a 2 inch hole in the hull!! the 2nd time (this season) broke some time
during the season, but the sikaflex held it in, replacements are cheap
but it does your nerves no good on lift out!

Hope this helps

<hr width=100% size=1>Thanks

Leyton
(EXTAR Solutions - Software that works for you)

JimC

Visit site
Just fitted a NASA Clipper Duet to replace an aged Autohelm Tridata which had gone defunct. First impressions: works perfectly well and the display is crisper and clearer than the Tridata, with bigger figures. Occasionally get condensation but not enough to obscure display and it soon clears.

<hr width=100% size=1>