Climbing harness any good for boats?

CharlesM

Visit site
Hello all

Given the cost of harnesses at the swindalries, would a standard climbing harness do?

Would such a harness be better than a standard sailing harness?

March PBO issue talks of such, but any danger of falling out if head first?

any thoughts

Cheers
Charles

starboard

Visit site
Climbing harness great for the boat but can get uncomy...cough...cough if you have to sit around too long...I rig a webbing tape to use as a foot loop so I can take my main body weight on the feet once in the working position i.e. at the top of the mast.

Paul.

Richard_Peevor

Visit site
Yes - Much better than Bosun's chair for going aloft... and most bowmen on big racing boats use a climbing harness for work on the spinnaker pole etc..

IMHO not very comfortable for use as a safety harness to wear on long passages etc... I think the best option is integrated life jacket and harness..

Spuddy

Visit site
Yes, I,ve got the gear left over as well and I find it more adaptable and easier to use. Use a footloop as mentioned cos they're not really meant for sitting in for more than 20 mins and it cuts off circulation and you get gangrene in your goolies and your legs drop off.
shouldn't fall out head first. Standard sailing harness would have you dangling by the chest which is too constricting.
regards...spuddy

roger

Overwinter in Sweden, sail in Northern Baltic, liv
Visit site
A good one is fine for going up the mast. I think its much safer than a bosuns chair - but you have to have a tool carrier.
I use it with a tape loop ladder that fits in the maintrack (good points and bad about that). It means I can get up the mast and my wife certainly could not winch me up.

Benbow

Visit site
If I am spending significant time aloft, by far my preferred option is both. A climbing harness is far safer, you can't fall out of it if its properly secured, but if it takes your full weight you will eventually begin to suffer real pain. A simple wooden plank bosuns chair is perfectly comfortable for hours, but its easy to slip out of it while over reaching or threading your way between bits of wire.

So arrange matters such that your weight is taken by the bosun's chair but backed-up by the 'real' attachment to a harness.

Obvioulsy think carefully about the attachment and safety line. Its amazing how many people put shackles into the system on which their lives depend, why add another point of failure? Tie directly with a bowline plus half hitches or a re-threaded figure of 8.

andyorr

Visit site
I have used a climbing harness as a safety measure when using a bosun's chair. Very secure! That's why climbers use them! Prices vary. Try Field and Trek or Ellis Brigham or Snow and Rock, all have web sites.

wooslehunter

Visit site
I saw something in one of the yotty comics recently that showed a new harness from Prezel, the climbing company. They have designed this specifically for hanging around rather than just as a climbing safety harness. The leg straps are far wider than a normal climbing harness to avoid the afore mentioned goolie/leg problem.

One thing that none of these harness do is to stop a backwards fall. Anyone working aloft will wear a full body harness with shoulder straps.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Why didn't I think of that.
I bought a bosun's chair from Compass and complained to them formally that the D ring would always capsize and concentrate all the load on a bunched up section of webbing. They agreed but, two years later, nothing has changed.
A bowline would solve the problem.
Thanks!

NevisTheCat

Visit site
Much more comfortable and designed to spread the load and put you in a sitting position.

I would suggest you look at the Black Diamond Bod harness. It is an alpine harness which means the leg loops undo seperately, rather than have to step into it. Much easier to get on and off with oilies on. It also has a padded waistbelt.

Google for Needlesports or Rock and Run for the best range of kit.

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hello all

Given the cost of harnesses at the swindalries, would a standard climbing harness do?

Would such a harness be better than a standard sailing harness?

March PBO issue talks of such, but any danger of falling out if head first?

any thoughts

Cheers
Charles

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally I prefer to use a "Mast Monkey". These have got to be one of the safest means of changing bulbs etc at the top of your mast (or any other work for that matter).

I usually carry at least one on board and have even rented one out on more than one occasion.
I have even used one to take some photographs from the top of the mast while under sail.

It can even be useful when entering a "new" anchorage and "feeling" one's way in particularly if in shallow waters.

Yes, I highly recommend the use of a "Mast Monkey" for all work above deck level. They can also be used for working on the deck and even under the hull with the addition of appropriate attachments / accessories.

Additional uses include opening bottles of wine - very handy when having a sun-downer.

I honestly do not know of any other piece of kit which is so useful to have onboard. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Once you have experienced the practicality and ease of using a "Mast Monkey" I am sure you would never again use either a boson's chair or a climbing harness to get to the top of your mast - (except in an emergency) - I certainly will not.
----------
hammer.thumb.gif

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi - have you got a ref for the mast monkey. I got lots of stuff about pharma research but damn all about yachts when I googled!

Ta

[/ QUOTE ]Ah yes - "Mast Monkeys" are really the dog's do-dahs when it comes to yachts. Real time and effort savers and multi functional - can even be used for unblocking the heads given the correct attachments / accessories.

I would be surprised if there is no-one where you keep you boat that does not have one you could borrow. I have the mark I that is now 18 years old and nearing the end of its service life but I also have a mark II which we got a couple of years after the mark I and that one is much better - more multi-functional and robust - than the mark I.

The biggest problem is the lead time in getting one as each is individually made and hence unique, then there is the time taken to customise it to suit your requirements.

I really think you should try to borrow one first to see if owning one is really for you - they are very expensive.

Ask round your marina or moorings - I am sure someone will have one and maybe could be persuaded to lend it to you for a day in exchange for a few beer tokens or a bottle of wine.

If you either don't want to wait or don't have the time to wait for a new one. "second hand" ones are sometimes available but generally they have been abused or mistreated in some way and would need a lot of care and attention to put back in good order again although some good hearted people do go down that route.

If after you have tried one and you decide you want one of your own you could ask the owner of the one you borrowed where he/she got theirs - maybe theirs is newer than either of mine.

Failing that do come back to me on the forum and I'll see what I can come up with - it has been 16 years since we got the mark II! although I am sure they are still made. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
----------
hammer.thumb.gif

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi - have you got a ref for the mast monkey. I got lots of stuff about pharma research but damn all about yachts when I googled!

Ta

[/ QUOTE ]SWMO just reminded me, we got ours from a place in Irvine but I am sure it is closed down now /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
----------
hammer.thumb.gif

Thistle

Visit site
Mast monkey

Like all things nautical, much less trouble if SWMBO is actively involved in the acquisition.

cliff

Visit site
Re: Mast monkey

[ QUOTE ]
Like all things nautical, much less trouble if SWMBO is actively involved in the acquisition.

[/ QUOTE ]Aye, definitely agree - one can always blame SWMO if the colour is not quite correct or it doesn't have the wanted accessories.
----------
hammer.thumb.gif