Cleaning a very green boat.

Capt. Clueless

Visit site
I have completed a search through the back log of posts on this subject, but haven't really found an answer I could adapt to. I am looking for an ecologically safe cleaner to use on a very green boat. The boat is on a fresh water lake, and the rinsing would be done using a deck brush and lake water, so the residue of the cleaner will go in the lake. I know it is tempting to pop to my local Wilko and buy some kitchen cleaner at 80 odd pence a pop, which I know would work, as I have used it for other things, but my conscience tells me not to, as I am sure it will contain all sorts of nasties.
Has anybody got any good ideas please? I do know that "starbright" do one from their "sea safe" range, although a little pricey, I may need to lean towards that, but would be interested in hearing if anybody else has an eco alternative please.

Grumpybear

Visit site
I have completed a search through the back log of posts on this subject, but haven't really found an answer I could adapt to. I am looking for an ecologically safe cleaner to use on a very green boat. The boat is on a fresh water lake, and the rinsing would be done using a deck brush and lake water, so the residue of the cleaner will go in the lake. I know it is tempting to pop to my local Wilko and buy some kitchen cleaner at 80 odd pence a pop, which I know would work, as I have used it for other things, but my conscience tells me not to, as I am sure it will contain all sorts of nasties.
Has anybody got any good ideas please? I do know that "starbright" do one from their "sea safe" range, although a little pricey, I may need to lean towards that, but would be interested in hearing if anybody else has an eco alternative please.

I have used Ecover washing up liquid or floor cleaner from any supermarket.

ashtead

Visit site
As it sounds like you are in a largish lake may a trip down to your local swimming pool stockist and they will happily supply a small drum of something used on pools for this very purpose also great for patio cleaning if the usual patio magic isn't felt suitable

johnalison

Visit site
If the boat will take it and you have access, a pressure-washer should do much of the work without doing more than adding to your carbon footprint.

VicS

Visit site
Unfortunately, I won't have access to a pressure washer whilst there, and therefore it will be lake water, a brush and whatever is ecologically safe.

I guess from an ecological point of view you will want to avoid products containing benzalkonium chloride such as Patio Magic and some other domestic anti- mould and mildew cleaners

Id be tempted to use a diluted thin domestic bleach. Quite a low concentration will kill the algae although the green colour may not disappear immediately.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
http://www.byotrol.co.uk/files/documents/byotroldatasheets/PDS_008_Outdoor_De-Greener.pdf

I use this and it works very well.

Seems to have doubled in price since I bought my last 5 litres.

And if you look at the SDS you will see it is absolutely not suitable for use around a lake. The BAC is quite bio-toxic in that setting. Just like Patio Magic. Gotta read the chemistry, guys.

Other than just scrubbing, a small amount of bleach is the safest bet. It will quickly degrade into salt. Scrub first with water to remove the bulk of the dirt.

thesaintlyone

Visit site
I recently cleaned a very Green boat using nothing more than a Hose with spray nozzle attachment and a cheap dustpan brush from poundland saying that buy a few as you'll get through them the trick for me was to use the brush vigourously in a circular motion the bristles act as a scrubber to cut into the dirt and rinse regurlarly to see how your doing. The hose to be honest wasnt essential just made quicker work.
Basically rinse scrub with brush rinse off see my blog for the resultant pictures.

I did have a household bathroom cleaner on hand but found it wasn't really nessacary. It did leave stains where moss growths had been on the anti slip but plan to repaint that anyway

I had powerwashed off any loose stuff but the boat had been sitting well over 10+ years in a yard untouched

Last edited:

Davegriff

Visit site
Mmmmm, jury seems to be out regarding safety of benzalkonium chloride

Safety data sheet appears pretty inoccuous to non mammalians:- http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9923038 - no mention of environmental issues there.

However this :- http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1584.html - states within :- "very toxic to aquatic organisms". Curiously, although headed "benzalkonium chloride" the data appears to refer to several different, listed, chemicals :-
"The EU classification refers to a group of substances known as quaternary ammonium compounds."

with the rider :-
"Benzalkonium chloride itself is a mixture of very similar substances with different chain length and molecular mass"

"similar" and "different" says to me thats its - well - similar, but different, so the data actually refers to something else.

Not always straightforward is it. The joys of language.

Sorry for the drift.

reallycoliholic

Visit site
You say you can't use a pressure washer, is that because there's no hosepipe for water supply or no power? Pressure washer will work from one of the gardne rainwater butts or may even draw water from the lake. If you don't have power, then again you can hire a genny or maybe borrow one? Pressure washer is by far the easiest option and will clean off the bulk of the crud. If you get the Karcher cleaning fluid I'm pretty sure it's environmentally friendly.

jeanpaulcopie

Visit site
I would just do an overnight pure household bleach scrub ('eau de Javel) and then rinse in the morning. Don't suppose any red goldfish might go white... And you do put a drop or so in the water to make it drinkable... Otherwise you can find "Tide bleach power" that will do the job. Used for laundry

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Mmmmm, jury seems to be out regarding safety of benzalkonium chloride

Safety data sheet appears pretty inoccuous to non mammalians:- http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9923038 - no mention of environmental issues there.

However this :- http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1584.html - states within :- "very toxic to aquatic organisms". Curiously, although headed "benzalkonium chloride" the data appears to refer to several different, listed, chemicals :-
"The EU classification refers to a group of substances known as quaternary ammonium compounds."

with the rider :-
"Benzalkonium chloride itself is a mixture of very similar substances with different chain length and molecular mass"

"similar" and "different" says to me thats its - well - similar, but different, so the data actually refers to something else.

Not always straightforward is it. The joys of language.

Sorry for the drift.

You read a VERY incomplete MSDS. This one seems definitive, with VERY low lethal doses. The jury is NOT out unless you post data with much lower LC 50s. This is 2-20x more toxic than copper, depending on the organism.

12. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Toxicity to fish
Quaternary ammonium compounds, benzyl-C12-16-alkyldimethyl, chlorides
:
LC50: 0.93 mg/l
Exposure time: 96 h
Species: Oncorhynchus mykiss (rainbow trout)
LC50: 0.515 mg/l
Exposure time: 96 h
Species: Lepomis machrochirus (Bluegill)
Toxicity to daphnia and other aquatic invertebrates
Quaternary ammonium compounds, benzyl-C12-16-alkyldimethyl, chlorides
:
EC50: 0.016 mg/l
Exposure time: 48 h
Species: Daphnia magna (Water flea)

Last edited: