Classic GRP Yachts; this is mine, where is yours?

Shuggy

Visit site
This is mine. Significantly better looking than her current guardian. Sporting a new cruising laminate mainsail, depressingly difficult to flake.

GAGmJTUm.jpg

Shuggy

Visit site
‘Tis still teeny on an iPad. And when you zoom in it escapes off screen like a nervous B list celebrity.

Generally better to take the full pic link from Thumsnap and squish it between an
rather than use their ‘forum’ code. Quite why we’re still battling with crude code in forums in 2018 I don’t know but it’s quite hard to post decent pic sizes in posts unless one can be bothered to work it out!

Click on the pic to enlarge.

Last edited:

jant

Visit site
yes indeed we draw a few admiring glances when over in holland. she's all overhangs really! so i get to pay for fresh air when mooring in marina's!P1000972a.jpg

Last edited:

Don107

Visit site
Try number 2

This is my Sailmaster 845

Probably not a classic but a good honest boat designed by Khan Walker in Australia as a lighter faster alternative to his Walker H28 ketch

Mine was built in 1984

Regards Don

Attachments

• side on.jpg
    side on.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 6
  • stern.jpg
    stern.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

BabaYaga

Visit site
Fundamental question that everybody has chosen to ignore so far.
It can’t just be a question of age, there must be more to it.
Let me try to suggest a few aspects:
- typical of its era, a good example of what was considered a good, seaworthy vessel, well built using the materials and techniques available at the time
- belonging to a period in the past, otherwise it is not possible to judge what is typical of that period
- to many, Classic will have overtones of elegance, beauty and desirability, hence the distinction betwee typical and classic

I think there is also some sort of link between 'classic' and 'traditional', in the sense that the design tries to reflect ideas of beauty etc. that are seen as more long-lasting than those fashionable at a specific time.
I am not familiar with the type and history of Shuggy's very nice looking yacht, but my Vindö built 1980 is certainly not typical of its era.
Instead the design, and in part construction, represent yachts from at least a couple of decades earlier. An attempt to make a 'ready-made classic' of its day, perhaps.
Not sure how that should be perceived today, maybe as a 'meta classic'?
In fact, one could argue it is a negation of the 'GRP classic', because it aspires to look like a wooden boat.

Tranona

Visit site
In fact, one could argue it is a negation of the 'GRP classic', because it aspires to look like a wooden boat.

Exactly. Almost all the boats featured here are pastiches of wooden boats which generally looked that way because of the characteristics of wood as a boat building material.

If "classic" is being linked to a material (GRP) then perhaps it should feature boats that could not have been built in traditional wood, so are a classic use of GRP.

I will kick off with a Sadler Barracuda - the very antithesis of most of the boats so far. I know the first was built of wood composite but its concept and shape were not determined by traditional wood.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
My little twister.
She's getting a full set of fancy B&G instruments fitted this winter so her classic stowe towed log and seafarer flashing spinning depth sounder are available to anyone who wants period gear.
IMG_1037 (2).jpg
IMG_0909.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1037.jpg
    IMG_1037.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
I am not familiar with the type and history of Shuggy's very nice looking yacht, but my Vindö built 1980 is certainly not typical of its era.
Your Vindo is perhaps not typical of Swedish boats of the time, but composite boats in the same general style were common in Germany until quite recently, and may still be made as far as I know by small builders on the Schlei. Sirius used to build boats like this at least until recently, though in a rather different form with a pilot house. They have the advantage over there that winter cover is economical.

lw395

Visit site
This is mine. Significantly better looking than her current guardian. Sporting a new cruising laminate mainsail, depressingly difficult to flake.

GAGmJTUm.jpg

If you're going to have an ensign on a pole, surely the pole needs to be either vertical or aligned with the transom?
Otherwise, one of my favourites!