Classic GRP Yachts; this is mine, where is yours?

Sybarite

Visit site
Production of boats using fibreglass technology has been around since the 60''s. Nowadays, many of these boats are considered as classic designs with classic appearance. This is my Macwester sloop 31ft built in 1971 and still going strong.View attachment 73989View attachment 73990

Sybaris 1  April 2017.JPG

A modern classic and the best of the Feelings.... IMHO.

A 1983 Feeling 920 which I have owned since 1987.

Last edited:

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Marina.jpg

A boat to admire as you row to shore, you might reconise her Mr Fantastic...

I was talking to your wife the other week as she was painting antifoul on a certain Macwester that may be fore sale? I'm sure someone will snap her up.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Marina.jpg

A boat to admire as you row to shore, you might reconise her Mr Fantastic...

I was talking to your wife the other week as she was painting antifoul on a certain Macwester that may be fore sale? I'm sure someone will snap her up.

The Ballad is a beautiful yacht and a classic. My wife has been the antifouling expert for the last 12 years!!!

westhinder

Visit site
So basically are we saying any boat built before, say, 1980 is a classic? .

Fundamental question that everybody has chosen to ignore so far.
It can’t just be a question of age, there must be more to it.
Let me try to suggest a few aspects:
- typical of its era, a good example of what was considered a good, seaworthy vessel, well built using the materials and techniques available at the time
- belonging to a period in the past, otherwise it is not possible to judge what is typical of that period
- to many, Classic will have overtones of elegance, beauty and desirability, hence the distinction betwee typical and classic

Of course, this is opening a can of worms, for who is going to judge that boat A is just typical, whereas boat B is a ‘true classic’?

As far as I am concerned, a Rival 34 is a true plastic classic

P1050867_zpszzbjufvt.jpg

Last edited:

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Fundamental question that everybody has chosen to ignore so far.
It can’t just be a question of age, there must be more to it.
Let me try to suggest a few aspects:
- typical of its era, a good example of what was considered a good, seaworthy vessel, well built using the materials and techniques available at the time
- belonging to a period in the past, otherwise it is not possible to judge what is typical of that period
- to many, Classic will have overtones of elegance, beauty and desirability, hence the distinction betwee typical and classic

Of course, this is opening a can of worms, for who is going to judge that boat A is just typical, whereas boat B is a ‘true classic’?

As far as I am concerned, a Rival 34 is a true plastic classic

P1050867_zpszzbjufvt.jpg

The Rival 34 ia a yacht with a big pedigree

fredrussell

Visit site
...It can’t just be a question of age, there must be more to it.

This is indeed what I was getting at.

There was a thread on here a year or two ago that attempted to compile a list of 'true classic' plastic boats. It soon descended into everyone adding their current MAB or a design they had a misty-eyed regard for for any number of reasons.

I reckon the only true guide is calculate an average selling price (and NOT asking price!) of the last ten examples sold of a design and work out some sort of formula involving the original price of said design, versus the number of years since its introduction, to give you a figure that can be compared to other designs.

Contessa 32s currently sell for a good deal more than similarly well presented Rival 34s, yet few would consider the former to be a vastly superior boat. Both are easy on the eye, well made and good seaworthy boats, yet one usually costs a lot more.

And yes, I'm a cold hearted philistine and almost certainly should have been an accountant! But surely not every 50 year old floating pile of osmosis (FPO) is a classic?

Last edited:

doug748

Visit site
I had the good luck to moor next door to my old boat this summer, here we are, two for one:

43876444410_f32e5b1c77_n.jpg

Marieholm IF Boat in the foreground, which I had for ten years - surely the prettiest of GRP small boats?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Here's Vim, my 1969 Co26.

First Mate wants to know is your tender named Vigour or Ajax?

I withdraw my Kingfisher. Sturdy, seaworthy & typical of its time. But not even the fondest owner could call her elegant.
Thank you for the pictures, and keep them coming!

No! I vote it back in.

"Classic" is very subjective and therefore is down to an individual to declare what yacht he feels should be a classic and an absolute personal preference.

Agree. (Otherwise I won't get a look in here!)

johnalison

Visit site
Other than my current boat, which will possibly become a classic, the only boat I have owned and would dare to propose was my Mystere, as in this crummy photo. The Mystere never became very well-known but a few hundred were built, originally by Langstone Marine, who were building Fishers at the time. The designer was Fred Parker and it resembled the Javelin but had a prettier stern. The interior had a different designer and was quite clever, though much of the sole was sloping. My next boat was a Sadler 29, and even her mother wouldn't describe her as pretty.

Untitled-1%20copy.jpg

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
Other than my current boat, which will possibly become a classic, the only boat I have owned and would dare to propose was my Mystere, as in this crummy photo. The Mystere never became very well-known but a few hundred were built, originally by Langstone Marine, who were building Fishers at the time. The designer was Fred Parker and it resembled the Javelin but had a prettier stern. The interior had a different designer and was quite clever, though much of the sole was sloping. My next boat was a Sadler 29, and even her mother wouldn't describe her as pretty.

Untitled-1%20copy.jpg

So similar to the Javelin - which of course has a prettier stern...…
;)