Clacton and Walton Lifeboats

Dee Bee

Visit site
In passing the Time and Tide Museum in Gt Yarmouth has a fascinating section on the history of lifesaving on the East Coast. Not sure it covers the Walton area though.

nortada

Visit site
In passing the Time and Tide Museum in Gt Yarmouth has a fascinating section on the history of lifesaving on the East Coast. Not sure it covers the Walton area though.
Walton has it’s own museum full of interesting artefacts from times gone bye. See museum on #119.

Rather than the RNLI, I believe it is managed by the local council and manned (or should that be personed🤔😏) by volunteers, who themselves are fonts on Walton of yesteryear - the foundry and barges mooring off what is now the Walton and Frinton Yacht Club in the Backwaters (this was before Titchmarsh Marina was dug out).

Geared towards kids, a good place to visit on a wet afternoon.

penberth3

Visit site
.....I don't see the person concerned these days, so don't know exactly what happened after that, but I do know that the RNLI were talking to the council about where they could build a boathouse.

I guess this isn't an easy task. Apart from the large building, might it need a new beach access ramp? i.e. more problems with land ownership and permissions?

Juan Twothree

Visit site
Looks like Walton to me. That’s the Walton ALB and the coast in the background will be recognised by everyone here who sails in the Thames Estuary as Frinton from the North-east, ie from Walton!

That is indeed Walton Lifeboat, with both of Clacton's boats.

These things happen sometimes, and it's often an issue at local level.

Someone left my station a couple of years ago, because he had a big argument with the station manager (also a volunteer) as to how he felt the station should be run.
The crew members's mates also left in protest, as did someone else who had to move away for family reasons.

Before you knew it we'd lost 7 crew in a month. It was tough for a while, until new crew had been recruited and trained, but we got through it, and only went "off service" a couple of times.

The RNLI can be very helpful in those situations, as they can provide extra training resources, both on station and/or at the college in Poole, to get the new recruits up to speed.

nortada

Visit site
Looks like Walton to me. That’s the Walton ALB and the coast in the background will be recognised by everyone here who sails in the Thames Estuary as Frinton from the North-east, ie from Walton!
Bit of a clue; this picture is credited to Stewart Oxely, who as we all know was part of the Walton team. Additionally, this picture was widely used in the public campaign to publize the problems at Walton.

More interesting, why did Clacton lose 4 volunteers in a month and what were their ages❓

More important, more bad press for the RNLI (this time from the BBC), when the least needs it.

Yes, new people can be trained up but experience is not so easily replaced.

We have sailed these waters for more than 30 years, which at times can prove rather tricky. Fortunately, we have never needed assistance from the RNLI.

Last edited:

Juan Twothree

Visit site
More important, more bad press for the RNLI

But it's open season for attacking the RNLI now, and there are going to be lots more stories like this.

The RNLI will get blamed whatever they do.

Look at Pwhelli - a dispute within the crew over non Welsh people being allowed to join, which the RNLI spent months trying to resolve amicably, but they still got blamed for it in the recent press.

There was actually a police presence at the RNLI service at Westminster Abbey on Monday, plus an ambulance on standby round the corner, as there had been threats to attack those attending.

14K478

Visit site
If RNLI HQ were not so tin eared in its attempts to deal with, firstly, long serving volunteers with ideas of their own and, secondly, the media, it would not have these problems. But as I said a few yards up this thread, this sort of dispute goes back almost two hundred years, and RNLI HQ have never got any better.

nortada

Visit site
If RNLI HQ were not so tin eared in its attempts to deal with, firstly, long serving volunteers with ideas of their own and, secondly, the media, it would not have these problems. But as I said a few yards up this thread, this sort of dispute goes back almost two hundred years, and RNLI HQ have never got any better.
God, you’re old‼️😉

Mister E

Visit site
But it's open season for attacking the RNLI now, and there are going to be lots more stories like this.

The RNLI will get blamed whatever they do.

Look at Pwhelli - a dispute within the crew over non Welsh people being allowed to join, which the RNLI spent months trying to resolve amicably, but they still got blamed for it in the recent press.

There was actually a police presence at the RNLI service at Westminster Abbey on Monday, plus an ambulance on standby round the corner, as there had been threats to attack those attending.
Not just non Welsh speakers but a refusal to speak English. This problem has been going on for years.

So the Walton crew agreed to an inflatable dinghy as they knew they couldn't get to a big boat. They are spitting their dummies out over the size.

TwoFish

Visit site
So the Walton crew agreed to an inflatable dinghy

Or as the wonderfully fit-for-purpose D Class is described by the RNLI, "The workhorse of the RNLI today" noting that "the D class saves more lives than any other class of lifeboat." It's judged to be the best boat for around half of the stations around our coasts. Still, it is admittedly a 'rubber' (OK, Hypalon) dinghy.

I accept that there are some communities whose pedigree and tradition means something grander may be called for in an emergency ;) .

Gloriana.jpg

Last edited:

penberth3

Visit site
....Someone left my station a couple of years ago, because he had a big argument with the station manager (also a volunteer) as to how he felt the station should be run.
The crew members's mates also left in protest, as did someone else who had to move away for family reasons.

Before you knew it we'd lost 7 crew in a month. It was tough for a while, until new crew had been recruited and trained, but we got through it, and only went "off service" a couple of times.....

I've had this before in the world of work. As a manager the answer has to be "thanks for everything you've done, goodbye". As you say not easy in the short term, but often there's a sigh of relief from those who stayed!

14K478

Visit site
Fancy putting off to the Outer Gabbard to pull a boat off in the gathering gloom and a rising wind in a rubber dinghy that is kept in a shed the size of an ISO container?

No? Nor me.