Cherbourg Scuttlebutt 2019

Topcat47

Visit site
Hi folks,

Just had a look at the tides for September. It looks as if the best weekend will be Friday 6th, then 20th. Weather is always a lottery but earlier is usually better. Are we going to do this again this year? If so, are the usual suspects happy to organise?

dom

Visit site
Wow, you read my mind, I was just thinking of this today! Truly sad to say, but I think I'm going to take a raincheck on this. The problem is threefold:

1. There have been repeated and increasingly sophisticated attempts to smuggle illegals across the English Channel. I have spoken off the record to people with knowledge of French law enforcement authorities, and it is a matter of public record that a number of French Yachtsmen have been required to travel to Calais and other destinations for in-depth interviews. The smuggling to which they were inadvertently party to was not of an unsophisticated nature.

2. The Scuttlebutt Cherbourg trip is a wonderfully British affair with all sorts of character going under all sorts of fun names. The 'organisers' do nothing to verify any details.

3. Brexit is creating an additional layer of uncertainty which may leave French and British border officials feeling exposed if their information channels are damaged. Moreover, there is the very real likelihood that a tougher line on immigrants by the French and UK authorities will increase tensions all round.

In the circumstances, at least until some of this is resolved, I do not feel able to put myself forward as an organiser of this year's event and unfortunately I believe Angele to be of the same mind. FWIW, I think the Cruising Association (?) has put some of its rallies on hold for similar reasons.

It's such a shame, but to head out into such a law enforcement fog with no radar or reliable forecasts just seems too risky.

Absolutely delighted if anybody takes a contrary view.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
Good!!! Because I am arranging 2 cruise in company events for our club ( possibly 3)& want to be sure there are spaces in 5 French ports for my members. The more other cruises that cancel the better. Esp when we go to the D day landing event.
I see absolutely no reason to spoil our activities just because of a few " perceived" problems that will never arise.
All this "Brexit" hassle & immigrant talk etc. is rubbish. As is project fear (no I do not intend to get on a debate about it in this thread).
S.d it. I intend to carry on as normal with my cruising plans this year & deal with any problems IF they arise.

Angele

Visit site
I do not feel able to put myself forward as an organiser of this year's event and unfortunately I believe Angele to be of the same mind.

Same mind, but for different reasons. See below.

If so, are the usual suspects happy to organise?

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on which way you look at it), I'm not going to be able to organise anything this year. I'm taking voluntary severance from my job, leaving around the end of June, and I plan to head off sailing for most/all of the subsequent 3 months. I have little idea where this will take me, but it is very unlikely I will be in Cherbourg in September.

I'm happy to hand over the reins to anyone who wishes to take over (and is happy to proceed nothwithstanding Dom's concerns).

Topcat47

Visit site
Brexit is currently on hold until all hallows eve. I'm Damned if I'm going to let it bugger up my sailing season. as long as I"m fit, I'll be crossing this year anyway. Of course, any "illegal" would have no chance of stowing easy on my 26'er.

dom

Visit site
Dom, I think you are going well OTT. It won't put me off my moules frites!

I get that, I bought my boat in France and couldn't be a happier customer. In fact I was thinking of visiting St Vaast this w/e, but don't think I'd make it before 0530 tomorrow. Looking forward, I'm sure everything will work out just fine; Normandy is especially exposed to a hard-Brexit and is bending over backwards to be welcoming and hey, we all love the place and they love us ;)

Organising an event unfortunately carries some risk, which in normal circumstances is tiny. Remember the Douane officer on his rib wryly asking if I'd checked the passports of the 23 peeps aboard drinking beer? And when asked if he could join in, I said no prob if the boat didn't sink!

Brexit may have just happened by this year's event, or it may not. Either way, there's a 99% chance all will go well, but that 1% could potentially cause much bigger problems in a policy vacuum created by our pathologically hopeless leaders on both sides of the Channel.

This is a risk I don't want to take right now, but I take your point, and certainly wouldn't want to exaggerate it if someone else takes a different view.

Last edited:

Joker

Visit site
Tentatively, I'll put my name forward.

I usually leave the boat in the Baltic for each winter, but I am now considering bringing back to Gosport - just for the winter. I hope, if all this Brexit nonsense is resolved, to set off back to the Baltic in 2020.

Meanwhile – I am running a Cruising Association rally in Germany at the end of June, and then intend to head to the West. I can easily be in Cherbourg by the dates you suggest. There is not a great deal of organising that needs to be done. It would be nice if the marina could set aside a number of berths for the boats involved, so that we are all together. The only other thing that needs to be organised is a dinner somewhere, which could well be in the yacht club house.

To do all of this, there is only one thing I need to know – the number of boats and the number of people.

If everyone is happy with this, I could do it, but the obligation lies with you: I can't do anything unless I know the number of people and the number of boats, and I can provide contact details, and the rest is up to you.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
The Alderney Sailing Club is reviving its Regatta this year. Several South Coast sailing clubs have been invited.

For those able to spend longer aboard, taking in the Regatta, 23-25 August, staying or pootling around for a bit before going to Cherbourg might be an option.

Something I shall work on anyway.

First Mate and I will be definite maybe's at this early stage.................................

SimonFa

Visit site
Tentatively, I'll put my name forward.

I usually leave the boat in the Baltic for each winter, but I am now considering bringing back to Gosport - just for the winter. I hope, if all this Brexit nonsense is resolved, to set off back to the Baltic in 2020.

Meanwhile – I am running a Cruising Association rally in Germany at the end of June, and then intend to head to the West. I can easily be in Cherbourg by the dates you suggest. There is not a great deal of organising that needs to be done. It would be nice if the marina could set aside a number of berths for the boats involved, so that we are all together. The only other thing that needs to be organised is a dinner somewhere, which could well be in the yacht club house.

To do all of this, there is only one thing I need to know – the number of boats and the number of people.

If everyone is happy with this, I could do it, but the obligation lies with you: I can't do anything unless I know the number of people and the number of boats, and I can provide contact details, and the rest is up to you.

Once the dates have been agreed I’ll reopen the registration website, if I can remember how to do it - it’s been a while since I’d some php coding and retirement is addling my brain ��

chubby

www.flickr.com
I am up for it but make a plea for an earlier weekend in September: more likely good weather and more likely a fall back plan if bad weather makes us stormbound.

My reading of the situation is that Brexit may not have happened and even if it does will not be an issue with a port like Cherbourg as port of entry: at worst fly a yellow and tell the HM as you pay.

They need the custom from UK boats and their HM toured the UK seeking business last year. It might be different for long stay imports but I cant believe it will affect weekend visitors.

Illegals? yes a possible problem but no different from previous years.

So up for it as soon as bookings open: especially as no advance payment little risk.

Is it worth a plan B in case of bad weather etc, recently we relocated to east cowes!

chrishscorp

Visit site
Yes potentially up for it, this year is going to make things possibly a little messy with brexit hence some being a little cagey that is understandable and one reason why we decided not to do the Brittany coast as a cruise this year.

If we were all grouped together in Cherbourg I cant see illegals being an issue, there should be more of us than there are of them if any of us should have an issue.

A Plan B in case of lousy weather is a good idea.

Last edited:

Topcat47

Visit site
Funnily enough I always looked on the Cherbourg trip more as a venue for a bunch of like minded folks to aim for than a formally organised event. OK someone has to co-ordinate stuff and talk to the Capitainery, but it's not like a firm commitment. Last year we only got as far as East Cowes, and a good time was had by all, saving the wine run, of course.

If Brexit blows up in our faces, we can always call it off, after all.

Still, I don't have the contacts or the nous to run the spreadsheet so what do I know? Actually I know it's always a fun time. Isn't that enough?

Sailfree

Visit site
Funnily enough I always looked on the Cherbourg trip more as a venue for a bunch of like minded folks to aim for than a formally organised event. OK someone has to co-ordinate stuff and talk to the Capitainery, but it's not like a firm commitment. Last year we only got as far as East Cowes, and a good time was had by all, saving the wine run, of course.

Still, I don't have the contacts or the nous to run the spreadsheet so what do I know? Actually I know it's always a fun time. Isn't that enough?
I think Simon will come through with latest system but if you want to add names manually I will send you the last Excel spreadsheet I used to collate info.

Hope it goes ahead sad to see its demise. From my perspective in Portugal and travelling through France they think the UK is mad and will do everything to be friendly to Brits.

Topcat47

Visit site
Lovely to hear from you; at least 6.000,000 of us think the same, at least those who signed the "Revoke Article 50" petition. Those of us in the UK who sought to remain are effectively disenfranchised as none of the political parties and none of the media are representing out views.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com

Can't we just say that a few of us will be trying to be in Cherbourg on 7th September and failing that 21st September. Display burgees and post on here on arrival and play it by ear from there.

Other threads that may be of interest