Cherbourg Scuttlebutt 2019

chubby

www.flickr.com
Can't we just say that a few of us will be trying to be in Cherbourg on 7th September and failing that 21st September. Display burgees and post on here on arrival and play it by ear from there.

sounds a plan, the only thing would be somewhere we could all eat: the YC is a good venue and used to yachties

chubby

www.flickr.com
bump: now the season is well underway and Brexit looks likely to be for Halloween, any consensus on dates: my preference is early sept, say the 7th? beginning to plan leave.....

RadiumRob

Visit site
I'm not letting Brexit disrupt my sailing plans for this season, there'll be ample opportunity for that in due course. Arabis will endeavour to be there for early or late September as planned, weather permitting.

Elessar

Visit site
I do hope this goes ahead and that someone has a bunk for a competantish crew. Last time I came I loved it so I’m sticking my hand up early. I’m capable of standing a watch opposite the skipper whilst he/she rests or sleeps and not just for collision avoidance I can still remember roughly how to set a sail :)

wizard

Visit site
Has anyone contacted Magli yet to confirm what views/actions the local customs/douana are likely to be up to?

(If there are any spell8ng mistakes here its my ipad not the bottle of red her indoors and I have just consumed!)

chubby

www.flickr.com
I am going to Cherbourg in early july as part of the CA channel rally and firmly expect nothing to have changed but will report back.

We are unlikely to have left the EU until 31/10/19 and whatever happens long term, nothing will happen before then.

I have to book time off work in plenty of time so have booked around 7th 8th September and plan to go to Cherbourg then, fall-back for bad weather east cowes like last year.

I would kick myself if that week was good weather but let it slip by for a later date then bad weather.

Malgi needs our custom surely!

SimonFa

Visit site
I do hope this goes ahead and that someone has a bunk for a competantish crew. Last time I came I loved it so I’m sticking my hand up early. I’m capable of standing a watch opposite the skipper whilst he/she rests or sleeps and not just for collision avoidance I can still remember roughly how to set a sail :)

If you can't get one from the Solent, and I'd be surprised if you couldn't, and want to jump on the train to Weymouth you'll be welcome to travel with me, although I might take the opportunity to spend a couple of days in Alderney if the weather looks good.

SimonFa

Visit site
wouldn`t you kick yourself if you didn't go the 7/8 and the weather was doable then the later weekend was rubbish!

Indeed I would. My 1st choice would 7/8, not least because if I'm single handed I'd prefer to do (most of) it in daylight.

By the way, were you on the visitor pontoons at Portland last Tuesday (4th)? I was doing safety boats for Chesil Sailability and noticed a boat called Dabchick and commented to my crew I thought it could be you. I would have said hello because I was staying on Venezia that night, but we didn't finish until 9pm and I was setting off to Studland at 6am.

KREW2

Visit site
Magli came to our club for a presentation a few weeks back, Brexit was brushed under the carpet.
I was in St Vaast and Cherbourg a couple of weeks back and no issues.

Elessar

Visit site
If you can't get one from the Solent, and I'd be surprised if you couldn't, and want to jump on the train to Weymouth you'll be welcome to travel with me, although I might take the opportunity to spend a couple of days in Alderney if the weather looks good.

Thank you. :)

chubby

www.flickr.com
Indeed I would. My 1st choice would 7/8, not least because if I'm single handed I'd prefer to do (most of) it in daylight.

By the way, were you on the visitor pontoons at Portland last Tuesday (4th)? I was doing safety boats for Chesil Sailability and noticed a boat called Dabchick and commented to my crew I thought it could be you. I would have said hello because I was staying on Venezia that night, but we didn't finish until 9pm and I was setting off to Studland at 6am.

yes that was Dabchick, we had a week exploring Dorset with a night at Portland and a few days in Weymouth meeting mrs chubby!

Joker

Visit site
I have an apology to make to everyone.

I had volunteered to organise this, but I regret that I'm going to have to back out of that, and the simple reason is Brexit. I need to have the boat in the EU on October 31 for it to retain its EU VAT status.

I normally leave the boat ashore in Germany each year. If I bring the boat back the UK this winter, I will have to take it over to Cherbourg in October, and then sailed back to the UK at the beginning of November. This is not an appealing prospect. So I regret to say that I am going to leave the boat in Germany this winter, and so I won't be in Cherbourg.

chubby

www.flickr.com
Sounds like there is not a critical mass of boats to make a viable cruise so also backing out: I have the week ending 7/8th off work and plan an end of summer cruise with the option of Mrs Chubby joining me by land or ferry but we have to book things, so I am opting to go to Poole where I can go to the Boat Haven and Mrs C to the Hotel du Vin, less weather dependant, and have already done a long cross channel cruise with two visits to Cherbourg! This retains the option of a quick dash one weekend if excellent weather! I also have a more local CA rally on the 7/8th to go to which looks a more viable option.