Chelmsford or bust Dinghy Raid

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
So what do we do when we eventually arrive at Chelmsford, after all of the travails that the Canal is going to throw our way? just turn round and go back ?? it's not the nicest part of England to make an arrival and nothing is really that close to provide the R&R required after such exertions :eek:)

I suggest a better plan might be to 'escape' Chelmsford and head for the open sea at Heybridge....

The destination now has fresh air, sea views and two riverside pubs ready and waiting to refresh and revive, definitely a goal of some merit........something the Gas Works car park in Chelmsford is unfortunately sadly lacking.

as I said it's just a thought

Hmm, I reckon I could probably wrap my brain cell around that idea. Somehow a raid FROM Chelmsford doesn't work in my head but an escape ... yeah, that could work

And the practicalities are definitely in favour of moving the kit by road to Chelmsford and then coming downhill finishing at Heybridge where there's somewhere to get a pie and a pint!

Tam Lin

Visit site
I can't be bothered to read all the thread but I think that somewhere along the way there was a guy who wanted to bring his small cruiser up from the Heybridge end and come back the next day with the idea of going inland on Saturday and coming back on Sunday. Coupled with the people wanting to come upriver from Maldon it all gets a bit complicated. More manageable to stick to the original plan of using tenders and inflatables and go in at one end and travel to the other. Chelmsford to Maldon works for me as I am nearer home at the finish.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I think you're right Tam Lin, as far as organising is concerned it's best if we keep it simple

Transport of dingies and outboards to / from the start / finish point

The Raid / Escape itself (inc. liasing with Essex Waterways)

and one peripheral item - a block visitor booking for those arriving at Heybridge on their boats (big boats that is!)

Anything else people want to do around it is up to them :)

Applescruffs

Visit site
Just another quick thought...

The canal is just over 14 miles long so even at a respectable 3 knots that's around 5 hours........I don't know about you but I don't think my knees are going to be too happy with that, or other parts of my anatomy come to think of it !
:)

Maybe a break at Papermill lock for a brew and stretch would be in order...

Who's daft idea was this anyway, ???

Count me in !!!

Tam Lin

Visit site
Chelmsford to Maldon/Heybridge it is then. Do we need to start another thread? :)

Yes, that will be the third one to discuss this trip but I think it will be the best way of arranging it. As far as I now understand we have got a number of people lined up for 16th/17th July travelling from Chelmsford to Heybridge. A new thread stating this and asking who is up for it and which day would be useful. If other people can't make the date or want to bring larger boats / start or finish from different places etc. then perhaps they could arrange something to suit themselves as I don't believe that it is possible to cater for all eventualities.

I have a couple more photos of Beeleigh Falls. They show the falls at low tide and the river approach. Bear in mind that in July there will be a lot less water coming over the falls and into the river. Even in January the river is only ankle deep in the approach to the falls. As I said before, doable if you arrive at high tide and scramble up the bank with a small dinghy but no way a larger boat can transfer here.

IMG_2578_zpspsffywtf.jpg

IMG_2580_zpsihrxhn2o.jpg

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I'm going to throw a potential spanner in the works ...

I am, by the way, more than happy to "organise" this (there'll have to be some organisation I'm afraid, we've got to sort it out with Essex Waterways and ensure the logistics will work) by the way

The minor, maybe, spanner only affect people wanting to be at the basin for the weekend by boat (which I do) and it's that the tides are not ideal. It's neaps (which is a PITA for me 'cos I may not be able to get off my mud berth on Friday morning but I can work around that if needs be) so lock in will be at or about HW and HW Osea Island on the Friday night is 22:08 BST with sunset at 21:09

So the question is how welded are we to the weekend of the 15/16 July? If we've set that in stone then I will make it work but the question is whether the panel would be happy to consider alternative dates in June, July or August where the tides would better suit those arriving by yacht / motor boat? (I'll work out suitable dates if the answer is positive!)

The second question for the panel is Saturday or Sunday? For the actual Dinghy Dash itself I mean.

(I will organise the booking of the basin for visiting boats and talk to Essex Waterways about day licences for the dinghies etc. Offers of help with the logistics of moving dinghies to Chelmsford would be appreciated!)

Tam Lin

Visit site
Personally I can be flexible about dates although there are some that I can't do. Don't mind Saturday or Sunday, or Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday for that matter!
Another possible spanner, or something to be aware of. Last time I was in Chelmsford a few weeks ago there was a notice by the river asking boaters to phone a mobile number before proceeding through the works where they are building a new bridge next to the old by pass by the Army and Navy. Of course it may all be finished by July! Or August, September, June etc. whatever!

nigelm

Visit site
So as not to get in the way of the Chelmsford raiders list in other post .
We're thinking of coming round to the basin on Friday to meet up with the crowd for evening festivities but not taking part in the dinghy expedition on sat but spend day on maldon etc followed by a meet up in evening again when the raiders return

I'd be faced with a mutiny if I tried to cram 4 adults into a 2.3m rubber duck ?

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
So as not to get in the way of the Chelmsford raiders list in other post .
We're thinking of coming round to the basin on Friday to meet up with the crowd for evening festivities but not taking part in the dinghy expedition on sat but spend day on maldon etc followed by a meet up in evening again when the raiders return

I'd be faced with a mutiny if I tried to cram 4 adults into a 2.3m rubber duck 

:D

Current plan is that the dinghy dash will take place on Sunday rather than Saturday

Please do add to the list with your arrival and departure, boat name and length though 'cos I need to make a block booking asap or it may be too late (if another party booking gets in ahead we'll have to choose another date) - be aware that they do sometimes have to turn individual visitors away if there's a group booking so it'd be better to be part of the group than rely on booking independently. The dinghy dash isn't compulsory :)