Chelmsford or bust Dinghy Raid

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
Just looked at the OS map of the area. It looks as if it is only a very short walk/carry from Beeligh Falls to the Navigation. It would be possible to motor upstream from Maldon, lug the boats out and deposit them in the canal.

This would open up the delights of Maldon, the Queens Head and the MLSC.

Overnight berthing is, I think, available in my yard. Not sure how much it costs though.

Just a thought, I will try to get up there by car and have a recce.

DavidofMersea

Visit site
Just looked at the OS map of the area. It looks as if it is only a very short walk/carry from Beeligh Falls to the Navigation. It would be possible to motor upstream from Maldon, lug the boats out and deposit them in the canal.

Overnight berthing is, I think, available in my yard. Not sure how much it costs though.

I thought the proposal was to put the boats in the canal at Heybridge basin. I was surprised when people were talking about the tide and I thought that there was something I did not know. So why not put the boats in the canal at Heybridge basin?

UncleAlbert

Visit site
So is the plan to go from Maldon to Chelmsford or from Chelmsford to Maldon. I was in logistics once and it is always important to know from whence you are commencing, with the destination sometimes being a mystery. :encouragement:

Mariner69

Visit site
Have you considered making it the same weekend as the Heybridge Regatta when the high life comes to the Basin with burgers, beer and women. Berth in the basin and travel from there; not so difficult with tides, once you're there.

Having made the suggestion I haven't a clue as to the date. They may also have a small boat jumble outside the pubs in the marquee.

Tam Lin

Visit site

From memory I am not sure if your idea will work. I can only recall being there at low tide and there is quite a drop down to the river. I will walk up in the next few days and see.

Tam Lin

Visit site
So is the plan to go from Maldon to Chelmsford or from Chelmsford to Maldon. I was in logistics once and it is always important to know from whence you are commencing, with the destination sometimes being a mystery. :encouragement:

Way back in this discussion it was thought that a return journey would be a lot to do in a day and so a one way trip was more doable. The idea of inflatables was floated and people could drive to Chelmsford, inflate then get going. Of course it would work the other way round. You also have the problem of getting back to your car.
Then there was talk of people rocking up in their cruisers and joining in, presumably in their tenders, which continues the problem of getting to or from Chelmsford. Perhaps local people could give lifts to visitors. If we start from Maldon then we are missing out a good deal of the canal which starts or finishes at Heybridge Basin.
Maybe we could have two starts or even two finishes depending upon which way we go! I dunno, it's all getting complicated, I might just stay in bed!

DavidofMersea

Visit site
Way back in this discussion it was thought that a return journey would be a lot to do in a day and so a one way trip was more doable. The idea of inflatables was floated and people could drive to Chelmsford, inflate then get going. Of course it would work the other way round. You also have the problem of getting back to your car.
Then there was talk of people rocking up in their cruisers and joining in, presumably in their tenders, which continues the problem of getting to or from Chelmsford. Perhaps local people could give lifts to visitors. If we start from Maldon then we are missing out a good deal of the canal which starts or finishes at Heybridge Basin.
Maybe we could have two starts or even two finishes depending upon which way we go! I dunno, it's all getting complicated, I might just stay in bed!

This supposes that we all have RIBs, because I don't, and others may not either. I don't see the one way trip as problem. All we have to do is get somebody to the destination in a car, and they can bring a car full of drivers back to the start, who can then drive back to the finish and pick up boats and other people

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
There's effectively two seperate, shhhh, organisational issues - one is the dinghy raid itself and the other is that some participants plan on possibly arriving at Heybridge on their yachts for the event

The latter involves consulting the tides and making a party visitor booking asap (and I suspect would not fit well with the Regatta weekend when the basin is likely to be busy?)

The raid involves primarily working out how to get a whole bunch of dinghies and outboard either to or from Chelmsford depending on which way we decide to raid - I have a slight preference for going from Heybridge to Chelmsford myself but it's not important really.

DavidofMersea

Visit site
There's effectively two seperate, shhhh, organisational issues - one is the dinghy raid itself and the other is that some participants plan on possibly arriving at Heybridge on their yachts for the event

The latter involves consulting the tides and making a party visitor booking asap (and I suspect would not fit well with the Regatta weekend when the basin is likely to be busy?)

The raid involves primarily working out how to get a whole bunch of dinghies and outboard either to or from Chelmsford depending on which way we decide to raid - I have a slight preference for going from Heybridge to Chelmsford myself but it's not important really.

Have we any idea how many yachts are likely to come. I ask because if there are just one or two, we don't want to make complicated arrangements, perhaps even having a difficult date, if few or any yachts come

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Have we any idea how many yachts are likely to come. I ask because if there are just one or two, we don't want to make complicated arrangements, perhaps even having a difficult date, if few or any yachts come

What's complicated about it? There's no difficulty with the date as far as the raid is concerned, that can be pretty well any weekend that suits. The 16/17 July will serve tide wise for visiting yachts. Not ideal but it'll do. Indeed, any weekend will do in that respect at a pinch

The raid arrangements are going to involve figuring out the logistics anyway and I've already said I'll handle the booking for Heybridge for the yachts

Tam Lin

Visit site
OK then, let's have people sign up for 16th/17th July. Say how you will arrive, which direction you want to travel and what type of boat you will be using. Then we will know how many cruisers need to be booked in and how many people require transport and can then work out the logistics.

I'll go first. Tam Lin, live locally so will be using my car, don't mind the direction and will be using my Avon inflatable.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Tam Lin, live locally so will be using my car, don't mind the direction and will be using my Avon inflatable.
Bru & Jane (no idea what boat we'll have by then!) arriving by boat Friday evening, prefer "upstream", using inflatable, need transport to/from Chelmsford

UncleAlbert

Visit site
Tam Lin, live locally so will be using my car, don't mind the direction and will be using my Avon inflatable.
Bru & Jane (no idea what boat we'll have by then!) arriving by boat Friday evening, prefer "upstream", using inflatable, need transport to/from Chelmsford
Uncle Albert, live in the Basin so can assist with some transport either way (and no its not a minibus). Also Aunty Albert can assist it ferrying bodies (and/or un-inflated RIBS) to Chelmsford.

Not bothered whether its an 'uphill' journey or 'down hill'.
I don't think that the river to Beeleigh and porterage to the canal is really viable as there is no landing, that I am aware of, on the tidal stretch.

Unc