Check list, Help.

Alistairr

Visit site
Re: singing the praises of rollercoasters

Maybe a copy of your spredsheet that you mentioned earlier wouldn't be a bad idea, if thats okay.
When we bought our first boat we were going to launch it whenever we deceided to use it, which turned out to be most weekends. After the first few weeks it was beginning to be no fun at all, with the good old scottish weather never giving us a break from pi##ing it down. Towing it up and down the side of the Loch was not much of a pleasure either. So we deceided to pay for a mooring at the marina for 1 month, what a pleasure that was, it was still pi##ing it down, but the fact was all we had to do was drive up to the marina get our bags out of the car walk onto our boat, JOB DONE. So after that month we now have a permanent berth in the marina.
If i am honest a trailer for the new boat was not an option for me.
Do you still have bell ringing in your ears?

<hr width=100% size=1>CHEERS.

Help needed to name new boat, PLEASE.

jon_bailey

www.cerberusstorage.co.uk

I think that your are being misled by your one and only trailer experience. A good rollercoater trailer can be a pleasure to use and at the weekend it took me twenty minutes from stopping the boat to getting out of the marina with the boat in tow. I cannot believe that it would have been much quicker had it been moored as it would have been necessary to moor inc fenders, deploy cover, check security, connect shore power (if needed) then unload.

The slip I use regularly is free as is parking.

Whilst I accept that there is a small amount of time needed to take the boat to and from its barn (10 minutes each way from my home) this is more than made up for with the convenience of having the boat 10 minutes from home so that I can work on it in the evenings and weekends. Whilst not essential, when I want to I can flush the engine, wash the hull, or generally clean at my convenience.

In addition to the above, trailering (at least as I do it) also offers the following advantages:
Boat is kept dry and warm.
I can trailer to wherever takes my fancy and mooring overnight anywhere is still an option.
No need for antifouling.

Despite the cost of the trailer I cannot agree with your supposition that 'It is far cheaper to keep it in a marina'.

In the end storage choice is down to a personal choice that can only be made after everything is considered, particularly personal circumstances.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AJW

Visit site

Agree. Absolute rowlocks that keeping a boat in a marina is far cheaper than a trailer. Berthing for 21fter in a marina must be thick end of £2k per annum surely? Trailer cost is £2k once off plus say £250 p.a. servicing (if you dont do it yourself) and say seastart trailer rescue or similar for £60 odd. Marina is trez convenient I agree but personally I get bored with the same bit of sea/river all the time and appreciate the ability to be able to tow to pastures new.

Still each to their own and if Happy1 is Happy in Chatham then good luck. Its a nice Marina and I can recommend the Ship & Trades pub! Also that £9k of safety gear would probably put him over his towing limit! :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site

Oi!! You have both forgotten about the £20K for the 4x4, £500 for the towbar, give in yet? Well I know as I have bought them, and after my first sighting of a launch, I know where I would like to stick my trailer and tow bar!! Anyway I have both so I have the opportunity to give the trailer business one more go, but the marina is definately the way to go, if I wanted to be a gypsy / traveller I would have bought a caravan as well /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Anyway everyone to their own, I prefer the £1 million worth of conveniences, shower block e.t.c. at Chatham, and I think my insurance was £10 cheaper by having the boat secured in the marina, that's a point best I go and see if it's still there. I have a very, very strong motorbike lock which ties the cleats on the boat to the cleats on the pontoon so it should be OK, plus they have to get out of the lock.

With my circumstances and a 16mth old baby the horrors of launching are too much to think about /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

And by the way the safety costs included training courses cost, 1st year marina costs, insurance, kettle, toilet cleaner, polish, survival equipment, training books, so that was not that bad at £9,115.04. The trailer was only £1,800 so cheaper than you suggested. But then a 4x4, tow bar e.t.c just not worth talking about as that can also be used for other purposes so I did not include it. So it was just the boat after that, and of course the Medway river licence!

Think you lost out on that one, see marinas are much cheaper /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I could have saved a fortune without all the trailer, 4x4, tow bar, wheel clamps, hitch locks, electric winch e.t.c. e.t.c. what a nonsense!!

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>