Cheap wind turbines from ebay

andsarkit

Visit site
1.35m diameter is quite a large danger area unless you have a very big boat.
You need to see a power curve as the output is very dependent on wind speed (Cube of wind speed). You need 25knts to give the rated output and if your mooring is in a sheltered area you will not get much output.

The theoretical power captured by the rotor of a wind turbine (P) is given by
1724678038944.png
where ρ is the air density, R is the radius of the rotor, Cp is the power coefficient and u is the wind speed.

I think the specification of these ebay wind generators is probably optimistic and you would be better spending the money on solar panels.

Cariadco

Visit site
1.35m diameter is quite a large danger area unless you have a very big boat.
You need to see a power curve as the output is very dependent on wind speed (Cube of wind speed). You need 25knts to give the rated output and if your mooring is in a sheltered area you will not get much output.

The theoretical power captured by the rotor of a wind turbine (P) is given by
View attachment 182027
where ρ is the air density, R is the radius of the rotor, Cp is the power coefficient and u is the wind speed.

I think the specification of these ebay wind generators is probably optimistic and you would be better spending the money on solar panels.
Oh dear, Power Coefficiency.........off we go into the dark world of Betz and Smitz......................Fun, fun, fun....

NormanS

Visit site

Refueler

Visit site
If you have a pontoon like mine at home ..... then a turbine such as on eBay could be handy ... but on a boat ?? There's a reason the old Windgens for boats were not cheap !!
I know a number of people who had them - long before solar became the fashion ... worked well. But they were designed specifically for boats.

B27

Visit site
Wind Turbine 300W 24V Generator Kit Boat OffGrid Power Charge Controller UKStock | eBay
Has anyone any experience of this type of cheap tutbine, and how iyhey compare to solar. I can see one advantage with batteries being topped up during the night time when solar atops working.
A farmer I know has a couple of small wind generators which look vaguely similar.
A lot of people are using such things around the world.

The key thing to remember is that the actual wind at turbine height is often quite slow compared to the wind in forecasts, which is based on 10m above land or sea, with no obstacles to the wind. On a tall pole on a windswept farm, they probably make a lot more sense than they do in any decent anchorage or mooring.

William_H

Visit site
In short go for solar. However sometimes wind gen is the only answer. A friend bought a cheap Chinese one for his property. It finally dismantled itself in strong winds. However the controller turned out to be a box with just a bridge rectifier in it. So no control. The problem being that unless you have enough wind the voltage produced is not enough to charge a battery.(14v) So mostly it did nothing. Now the 24v version into a 12v battery might work a lot better. (less current but more often) Better still my theory is that a solar MPPT controller would work well to get the voltage needed to charge (albeit small current) from light winds.
But as said on a boat no thanks. ol'will

Rappey

Visit site
Not so many years ago the chinese charge controlers had a habit of going up in smoke. The noise in virtually no wind from some of these turbines is terrible.
Much better off looking for a used aerogen. There are many around still silently turning that are 30 years old. Mine is pretty silent up to 21knts. (6 blade)
You can change all the bearings and seals for less than £30.

stu9000

Visit site
I had a Rutland wind genny on my boat but just could not get on with it.
The noise was very annoying as a great rumbling was transmitted to the cabin.
I sometimes find them annoying on neighbouring vessels.

When it stopped working after a storm I put solar panels on the side rails and have not looked back.
Fewer moving parts.
Silent.
All the power I need.

Refueler

Visit site
I find it interesting that over here - you find a mix of Wind and Solar powering the roadside gear ... camera's / weather stuff .. Initially I thought more wind along coast roads - but inland are many as well ... admittedly here is like East Anglia ... flat with only low hillocks.

B27

Visit site
I find it interesting that over here - you find a mix of Wind and Solar powering the roadside gear ... camera's / weather stuff .. Initially I thought more wind along coast roads - but inland are many as well ... admittedly here is like East Anglia ... flat with only low hillocks.
Common in the UK too, but less common than it used to be.
I have a mate who works with remote instrumentation, he said something like if adding a £500 turbine prevents one outage in several years, it's seen as god value, and it enables a standard set of kit to be used in sunny or shady spots.

NormanS

Visit site
Here in Scotland, it's noticeable that the Northern Lighthouse Board use PV panels on navigation buoys and lighthouses. I am not aware of them having any wind turbines. I used to have a Rutland wind generator, but after one disintegrated in a gale, I went over to PV panels and haven't regretted it.

Refueler

Visit site
Here in Scotland, it's noticeable that the Northern Lighthouse Board use PV panels on navigation buoys and lighthouses. I am not aware of them having any wind turbines. I used to have a Rutland wind generator, but after one disintegrated in a gale, I went over to PV panels and haven't regretted it.

I have seen an odd 'Vertical Dolphin' Wind genny on buoys - but not for many years ... all Solar now I see.

William_H

Visit site
Intereesting here on buoys and even some foot path lighting that the PV panels are vertical and all round the post. So inevitably some will never see sun. Apparently it is cheaper to have redundant panels than try to get installers to align the panels or stop buoys rotating. ol'will