Cheap rope

mick

Visit site
I see in this month's PBO, Marlow Ropes 12mm polyester for anchoring/mooring, 50 metres for £35. Now, as this is way below the normal price for this type of rope, is this a genuine bargain or is there a catch?

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
i can\'t believe it

years of pbo wingeing about boat things being too expensive. UNfortunately, now there's something too cheap. Those poor chandlers can't win ...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
If it's anything like the 3 strand stuff Plastimo market all over the Med. you will be able to attract a useful living doing quayside "Indian Rope Tricks" after it's been exposed to the marine environment and the sun for a few weeks. The tallest vertical "snake" I have been able to achieve with 16mm is 7ft 3in. You should try putting it on a cleat!

However Marlow are a reputable manufacturer so it should be alright. Incidentally, 12mm poly is a bit "between sizes" for the average cruiser so maybe they're trying to offload a surplus.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>The above is, like any other post here, only a personal opinion

ParaHandy

Visit site
Re: Cheap? oh no ...

ohh woe is me ...

my snakes have gone on strike
this rope gave them the shakes
i offered it on ebay
to a fakir in bombay
he sold to another in calcutta
who tried it on his cutter
the rope was not a success
he's now in madras and boatless

<hr width=100% size=1>

sparkie

Visit site
Assume you mean Aladdins Cave?? Bought some 16mm nylon (unbranded) 2/3 years ago for use as mooring warps and it's still going strong.

Cheers

Sparkie

<hr width=100% size=1>