changing oil... cheap practicle soultion???

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Gtting oil out of a dipstick hole sounds a stupid idea concidering the price of an engine.
Paying a small fortune and buying a large purpose made iitem to do so and then having to store it seems silly.
I am sure someone on here has come up with a far more practicle solution.
There must be some type of pump that can be attached to an old container so all that needs to be kept is the pump..
Any suggestions?

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
Gtting oil out of a dipstick hole sounds a stupid idea concidering the price of an engine.
Paying a small fortune and buying a large purpose made iitem to do so and then having to store it seems silly.
There must be some type of pump that can be attached to an old container so all that needs to be kept is the pump..
Any suggestions?

My boat has a pump built into the engine.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
My Beta has a pump connected to the sump.Very effective and it can't cost a fortune to adapt a sump plug to take a fitting.

orion50

Visit site
Any suggestions?

All of the hassle seems to be with the small hand pumps that leak oil everywhere. I bought a Pela which is possibly what you mean by a large ppurpose built item? It does what it is supposed to do and then it goes ashore again. No spills no hassle. Six years on, I still consider it one of the best things I have bought.

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
On my last boat I had a Qwik-Drain 12v oil removal pump. It was mounted in the engine compartment. The inlet was connected to a fitting on the sump and you stuck the outlet tube into a container - usually a milk carton - and pressed the button. It took about two minutes to drain the sump if the oil was warm.

Blue5

Visit site
The 6 ltr ones the size of a football do not take up much space, anyway just get SWMBO to turf out a couple of pairs of shoes or a handbag.........problem solved............:D

jimi

Visit site
All of the hassle seems to be with the small hand pumps that leak oil everywhere. I bought a Pela which is possibly what you mean by a large ppurpose built item? It does what it is supposed to do and then it goes ashore again. No spills no hassle. Six years on, I still consider it one of the best things I have bought.

+1

rickym

yachtgalene.blogspot.co.uk
The 6 ltr ones the size of a football do not take up much space, anyway just get SWMBO to turf out a couple of pairs of shoes or a handbag.........problem solved............:D

I have one of these and they work really well. As for substituting for her shoes or handbag.. you are a braver man than me NDH!

David2452

Visit site

+2, and they have a myriad of other uses on board, bleeding diesel, clearing blocked lines, getting water and oil spills out of small inaccessible spots etc.

Spuddy

Visit site
My boat came with a DIY solution: one of those little brass pumps duct taped to a plastic oil container. A hole at the upper side of the container took the pump outlet. So stick the pump tube down the dipstick hole and pump out into the container.
BUT, it meant holding the container between the knees and something worked loose every time spouting oil over me and boat.
I gave up and bought a Pela.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
My boat came with a DIY solution: one of those little brass pumps duct taped to a plastic oil container. A hole at the upper side of the container took the pump outlet. So stick the pump tube down the dipstick hole and pump out into the container.
BUT, it meant holding the container between the knees and something worked loose every time spouting oil over me and boat.
I gave up and bought a Pela.

Now there is a good excuse for the wet patch...

RichardTaylor

Visit site
I have 2 pela 6ltr units, one permanently on the boat used exclusively for bilge water as it will get the bilge far drier than a sponge. The other is for Oil and is used to change the oil on both cars and boats and is kept at home.

(note - both our cars have 19,000mile or 2 year servicing regimes, so each they are professionally serviced every 2 years, and then given a 12 month oil change only service by me, where I pull the oil through the dipstick. I dont even bother with changing the filter as this is supposed to be OK for the 2 years)