Captain preparation

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk
We have discussed preparing the boat, but what about preparing the captain:

Building experience.
Qualifications.
Fitness:
Mental state: (lift this open for the jokes)

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Building experience

[/ QUOTE ]

I have extensive building experience, but I'm not sure how applicable it would be - not much call for plastering and brick laying offshore /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
-----------
Building experience
----------
Experiment :
- over-exhausting,
- cold,
- under eating or drinking,
- oversail,
- over wind,
- behind breaking sea,
- near-collisison,
- near wrecking...

And try to survive .... experience will come.
Eric
/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Kilter

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Mental state:

[/ QUOTE ]

Be sure you are happy with your own company for however long it's going to take.

Take something along for recreation..at some stage you need to relax.

A tot can be a suitable reward or relaxer too many tots could lead to disaster!

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Seriously though, experience must be the number one - everything else follows from that. Not necessarily singlehanded afloat, but building up self-reliance outdoors. For example I have always felt that many years of remote area mountaineering has been of huge benefit to my solo sailing - you learn when you have to let things happen, and when to be proactive.

Go up to Scotland and spend a few days crossing Rannoch Moor on your own - it certainly feels remote!

Knowing that the only way to get out of the sh*t is to do it yourself is a great concentrator for the mind /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fitness is something that fortunately I haven't had to put a lot of thought into, but a passage of couple of days creates discomfort in my back and legs as I get older, as muscles become accustomed to sailing movement.

Appetite is also a problem for the first few days for me and I have to force the calories down.

At least knowing these effects allows me to prepare both physically and mentally, and to keep an eye on myself.

Experience has taught me 2 very important things - carry spare hats and gloves, cos I'm always losing them overboard. And take several spare pairs of specs /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ceirwan

Visit site
Just set off! If you've prepared the boat properly and have got plenty of drive and a can do attitude everything else will work itself out!