Captain Calamitys

DFL1010

Visit site
I did hear a rumour that they were to set off last Monday (15th) for Dartmouth, where she will be put on the market.

However, I did go for a walk in Hayle yesterday (despite what some in this thread might say, I do quite like the place), and she was still alongside.

Can't say what plans are afoot, or whether the chap who went off to Ireland is back in town, or if the plan for Dart for a broker is still the plan, albeit on hiatus.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Looks like the dream may be over
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/a...quit-disaster-journey-across-atlantic-n524976
Still stranded in Hayle, a picturesque harbor in southwest England, Shapiro told NBC News he faces a $14,000 repair bill and claims he is close to quitting.
"I wanted a playboy boat that I could invite people out in and have a good time," he said on Wednesday. "This boat is more of a workman's vessel, a serious explorer's boat — and I'm not a serious explorer, I'm more of a playboy."
According to Shapiro, Weise has since decided to return home because his family was concerned for his safety following the negative press coverage.
"He had his reasons and I had mine," Shapiro said, conceding that he may also follow suit. "It may not be the right boat for me."
Shapiro added: "A lot of things need fixing and I'm not sure if I'm willing to put in the costs to solve it."
He summed up the attempted voyage as a "small disaster."

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Looks like the dream may be over
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/a...quit-disaster-journey-across-atlantic-n524976
Still stranded in Hayle, a picturesque harbor in southwest England, Shapiro told NBC News he faces a $14,000 repair bill and claims he is close to quitting.
"I wanted a playboy boat that I could invite people out in and have a good time," he said on Wednesday. "This boat is more of a workman's vessel, a serious explorer's boat — and I'm not a serious explorer, I'm more of a playboy."
According to Shapiro, Weise has since decided to return home because his family was concerned for his safety following the negative press coverage.
"He had his reasons and I had mine," Shapiro said, conceding that he may also follow suit. "It may not be the right boat for me."
Shapiro added: "A lot of things need fixing and I'm not sure if I'm willing to put in the costs to solve it."
He summed up the attempted voyage as a "small disaster."
Make an offer I sure C would love it :)

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

I noticed the following quote:

> Mr Shapiro said Sir Robin's comments were "embarrassing" for him and Mr Weise.
> "I am just doing the same thing he did," he said.
>" I sincerely respect his reputation but even he had people helping him"

RKJ's support team must have been unsung heroes, sitting there monitoring his progress via sat. link and using the latest computerised forecasts to optimise his voyage during his 1968-9 circumnavigation. Oh, wait a moment, that was a time when you pretty much relied on your own resources. Obviously land based support available for later exploits e.g. 2007. Perhaps that's what Mr Shapiro was talking about and didn't know RKJ had done a bit of sailing when he was a nipper and not even turned 60. :D

Last edited:

rib

Visit site
I noticed the following quote:

> Mr Shapiro said Sir Robin's comments were "embarrassing" for him and Mr Weise.
> "I am just doing the same thing he did," he said.
>" I sincerely respect his reputation but even he had people helping him"

RKJ's support team must have been unsung heroes, sitting there monitoring his progress via sat. link and using the latest computerised forecasts to optimise his voyage during his 1968-9 circumnavigation. Oh, wait a moment, that was a time when you pretty much relied on your own resources. Obviously land based support available for later exploits e.g. 2007. Perhaps that's what Mr Shapiro was talking about and didn't know RKJ had done a bit of sailing when he was a nipper and not even turned 60. :D
don't forget the odd bottle of scotlands finest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
He was also quoted to say "I am just a guy with a passion for sailing."
And good for him I say.
Without passion and adventure of our sport, what have we got.
Don't get me wrong, I am no way defending these two guys and the lack of good judgments and seamanship , but hey, give them a break, there are hundreds of these type of sailors ((if you can call them that) out there, just happen these two guys caught the eye of the press.
Just maybe next time some of you guys go out sailing, you too happen to get a rope around your prop and have to call for help and the following weekend return to base find your engine Won't to start and need a tow and some weeks later you too go aground and need help again, it would be interesting to see what your reaction would be it RKJ tell you to get out of our waters or to read comments from people who know nothing about you other than what the papers report.
Adventure and passion make sailing what it is, otherwise we all be sitting watching TV each weekend.
Remember these two guys sail from Norway to Devon in a few months taken In parts of Scotland , prob 1000nm and in the worst month of the year , which is two or three times more than most do in any season and if you can believe what has been written they needed help of one kind of another several times ,
how many times have some weekend sailor needed help,
I so glade to see his judgment has got better and he is leaving his adventure and going home safely .
If you happen to be reading this , I wish you well Steve and Bob .
I have an hot air ballon for sale if your interested by the way :)

On a new note , I have to wonder what our reaction would be if a British sailor needed help off the French coast and Jean Luc Van Den Heede or Alain Colas was reported to say ( get the hell out of out waters ) it's costing us money ? , now there something to ponder on .

Last edited:

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
Hi SailaboutVic,
I agree with your comments, almost entirely.

What I question is the numbers you allude to. Are there really so many weekend sailors experiencing so many calamities? Are there really so many boat-folk who do far less than 1000nm a season?

If you're anywhere near correct, and I am not contradicting you, surely restrictive legislation can be"only just around the corner" :(

As to your final paragraph, I think the "reaction Francais" might be a lot worse by the end of this Six Nations season. (I truly hope I haven't spoilt the British nations' chances there..:eek:....)

Robert

Visit site
To SailaboutVic, good afternoon, might I just comment:
In France, the errant Yankees would have been presented with a very large invoice, payable immediately, had the French lifeboats been called out in the circumstances.
(unless it was a dire, unforeseeable, life-threatening emergency, which I don't believe)

enjoy the sun LD

sailaboutvic

Visit site
To SailaboutVic, good afternoon, might I just comment:
In France, the errant Yankees would have been presented with a very large invoice, payable immediately, had the French lifeboats been called out in the circumstances.
(unless it was a dire, unforeseeable, life-threatening emergency, which I don't believe)

enjoy the sun LD

You might have a point maybe the RNLI should bill them and everyone else who needs there help unless it a life-threatening emergency, it will make people think twice before reaching for their VHF .
I personally don't know what all the call was for it seen the most publish one is the case of the candle , which seen to have been a accident which could had happen to anyone , nothing to do with seamanship .
Another time a rope around there prop and a time when the engine wouldn't start again it could happen to most of us .
I don't know (and I might be wrong , ) of a case where they asked the CG for direction because they where lost , unlike many of cases we all read about British sailors using road maps to navigate .
the point that they tried to made was , at times they were only informing the CG off the situation and it the CG who took it on their self to send out lifeboat , it seen to me one way or the other these guys can't win with the arm chair sailor , if they didn't make the call then we would criticising them for not .
Once a call has been made to the CG , if they decide to send out a lifeboat there not much you can do . And I thing we can all agree that later UKCG staff have been making some bad calls , you can read of many on here .
Again I am not defending these guy , but what happening here is nothing unusual to what really happening out at sea most weekends , it just we don't alway read about them .

Tranona

Visit site
You have to remember how fundamentally unsound the original plan was. Would anybody here buy an old boat blind in Norway and set out immediately in late summer to try and get straight to the Uk going north of the British Isles?

All it demonstrates is a complete lack of awareness of what is involved and the almost inevitability of coming unstuck.

Tranona

Visit site
Fortunately most of the "potty " ones lack the ability to raise the cash - as we have seen from the odd ones who buy old boats here and get into trouble. Usually one or two a year. These characters are much the same but having more money make bigger mistakes!

NormanS

Visit site
You have to remember how fundamentally unsound the original plan was. Would anybody here buy an old boat blind in Norway and set out immediately in late summer to try and get straight to the Uk going north of the British Isles?

All it demonstrates is a complete lack of awareness of what is involved and the almost inevitability of coming unstuck.

I don't know where in Norway it was that they started from, but bear in mind that the vast majority of Norway is already well north of the UK. In other words, I don't see the relevance of your statement about "going north of the British Isles".

As far as I am aware they were ultimately making for the USA, in which case they were quite correct.

mikeinkwazi

Visit site
"the point that they tried to made was , at times they were only informing the CG off the situation and it the CG who took it on themselves to send a lifeboat ( Since when????)
Once a call has been made to the CG , if they decide to send out a lifeboat there not much you can do . And I thing we can all agree that later UKCG staff have been making some bad calls , you can read of many on here .
Again I am not defending these guy , but what happening here is nothing unusual to what really happening out at sea most weekends , it just we don't alway read about them .[/QUOTE]
This is difficult to understand. I have been sailing offshore since the 70's and have called the coastguard on a few occasions. They have ALWAYS asked if I needed assistance (ie a lifeboat) Once I had a rudder coming adrift and they called me on RT every half hour to check till we reached harbour. Another time in very heavy weather they ascorted me, at my request, till we reached a lea and it was possible to tow into port. They are a great bunch of chaps and know what they are doing, but the yacht skipper has to agree first!

Daydream believer

Visit site
"They are a great bunch of chaps and know what they are doing, but the yacht skipper has to agree first!

I think the point to note is that they "were" a great bunch of chaps & I would agree with you wholeheartedly. However, there is now a new generation of CG operating in a different way & until/if the old skills are learned there will always be mistakes. So calling a life boat would seem a good call if they are unsure, so at least a chance of a " mistake " along with the public outcry is reduced
I once called the CG at Aberdeen to ask for information. They decided to call a lifeboat without my requesting it. In the end I was really glad they did.

Tranona

Visit site
I don't know where in Norway it was that they started from, but bear in mind that the vast majority of Norway is already well north of the UK. In other words, I don't see the relevance of your statement about "going north of the British Isles".

As far as I am aware they were ultimately making for the USA, in which case they were quite correct.

They went south to Denmark first - but would you choose to take the route they did in our winter? They are now going south again so not taking a direct route to the US. If on the other hand they were navigating a German or Russian warship getting to the Atlantic without running the gauntlet of the English Channel then their plan was correct

Other threads that may be of interest