Captain Calamitys

fisherman

Visit site
people love bigging up their own local hazards

I am sure that the rocks and stuff around the west country are no worse than those around scotland, the Farnes or the the ever shifting sands of wells bar.
D

...until you run into them, and if they lack caution and expertise then they might. The trip from Hayle to Newlyn is fine otherwise.

scottie

Visit site
Perhaps if their own US Coastguards had been involved in their first incident it would have solved all this as I understand their policy is simple lift the people off and leave the boat to its fate

Seajet

Visit site
Chichester entrance is fine 95% of the time, giving one no more than a nasty shake-up in wind over tide up to southerly F6-7 .

Above that it will kill.

It's nothing like as dodgy as the Swinge or the Race off Alderney though; din't think I met any locals to tell me that, it was all too obvious !

When a place gets an honourable mention in early editions of ' Heavy Weather Sailing ' one knows it's going to be bad news.

TonyBuckley

www.icloud.com
I despair of such news. The press pick it up, maybe two or three times, then they dump it. The comedy is complete and time to move on.

For example, a particular breed of dog bites (or worse) a child. Suddenly a flurry of such stories. Then they all disappear even though still happening in every day life.

I suspect this story will not be completed as it will remain unreported despite further calls to help.

So how do we keep in touch with true events?

Visit site
One thing would worry me in the long term; the way the paint has peeled off suggests the hull may have been varnished previously. Paint over varnish not very good.

I seem to recall one wizened 'old janner' telling me that "If it's below the waterline, it don't show.... and if it's above the waterline, it don't matter. She'll do...."

Seajet

Visit site
As long as there are people like DFL1010, freespiritdavid and - if they get that far - Scilly Pete, they'll at least have people with their best interests looking out for them, though I'm among those who shudder to think of them casting off again.

Binman

Visit site
As long as there are people like DFL1010, freespiritdavid and - if they get that far - Scilly Pete, they'll at least have people with their best interests looking out for them, though I'm among those who shudder to think of them casting off again.

fisherman

Visit site
As an alleged doomsayer, let me propose what could go wrong this week. Assuming they are less than prudent they may see Thursday/Friday as a weather window, F5 WSW. They will leave Hayle at 1200 or so and beat their way down to the end, hopefully decide outside the Longships is best, but then there's the TSS, now in the dark. See any possibilities for problems? Thought not. Once round the Runnelston they would have a fair run to wherever they care to go on the south coast. After Saturday forget it, gales and a 35 ft swell forecast

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
There's a simple reason for that, you can't sail to Switzerland and Dignitas.
Comment in questionable taste (IMO) and false geography. The Rhine river is fully navigable from Rotterdam on the North Sea to Basel, the port of registry of Switzerland. It certainly was last August when I made the trip on board a comfortable steamer after attending the Sail 2015 event in Amsterdam.

fisherman

Visit site
My mate has just been round, he fishes from Hayle. The guy has made himself unpopular, helping himself to kit from the boatbuilder and other fishermen, and has reduced several very mild and usually helpful people to swearing. They were issued with 6 month visas in Shetland, these have expired. When they arrived the local boatbuilder turned out to help, arranged someones mooring for them to use, told them how to moor safely, got told they knew their stuff, then four hours later saw the mast suddenly go over as she fell away from the quay. Sense of entitlement seems to be a problem.

prv

Visit site
My mate has just been round, he fishes from Hayle. The guy has made himself unpopular, helping himself to kit from the boatbuilder and other fishermen, and has reduced several very mild and usually helpful people to swearing. They were issued with 6 month visas in Shetland, these have expired. When they arrived the local boatbuilder turned out to help, arranged someones mooring for them to use, told them how to moor safely, got told they knew their stuff, then four hours later saw the mast suddenly go over as she fell away from the quay. Sense of entitlement seems to be a problem.

The forum has its spies everywhere :encouragement:

Sad to hear all that, but not really surprised.

WTF was the "helping himself to kit from the boatbuilder and other fishermen" about?

I still feel sorry for the boat.

Pete

Resolution

Visit site
So how is he moored now, with sixty knot winds expected in Cornwall overnight? Not to ignore the ten metre waves suggested on the Beeb.

Woodlouse

Visit site
Mine must be a little older then - it's reliable, incredibly effective, but bloody noisy :D

(The Nora though really ought to have a cosy little cast-iron coal stove. Albeit perhaps not until the present clumsy pair are no longer aboard.)

Pete
I've seldom seen a boat like theirs without a Reflex diesel heater to he honest.