Cannes Yachting Festival 2017

Portofino

Visit site
I know very little about such things but isn't there more of a risk of something metallic being dropped on the open battery terminals?

They should have lids on to prevent liquids shorting them as well ,say from a spray leak or just drips from above after a tough crossing in a big beam sea ,soaking the cockpit .
They look like wet bats too , so one would think the fan motors are type approved spark resistant for use with flammable gases ,like in a petrol boat ?
Can,t see any obvious vents ,but that will be there somewhere .

There's a lot of tie wraps used to hold piping -- you can use pipe brackets .
Far L of view is sight "glass " ,that's not protected either in a U shape conduit , just dangling there.I assume it's got a press valve and cock - not permantly live to the tank ?

There are codes and classifications with specifications of stuff like this .You don,t see it until you start " lifting stones " and looking underneath, mostly safety related .
If you are in your best attire ,worth looking in the back of the handbook for the classification certificate --- if any .
Then make a decision of how much extra time you wanna spend on it .

henryf

www.911virgin.com
With my car dealer hat on I've seen lots of customers move away from their Porsche over the years to try something else, be it TVR, Maserati, Aston Martin & so on. They often come back pretty quickly. The build quality they took for granted when driving their Porsche just wasn't there when they ventured elsewhere. They got complacent, assumed everything would be OK and ended up disappointed. As I've said all along my wander through Cannes was very much a superficial "what grabs my fancy" thing rather than an exercise in engineering.

What I need is for Princess to design and build me a semi displacement (that will still do 25 knots when needed), massive interior space Portuguese bridge (with that seating area opposite the helm I like), full size fridge freezer, huge oven & masses of storage in the galley, crew cabin with a toilet you can access from the bathing platform when swimming, ultra frugal when pottering along, huge fuel tanks, full beam master, big windows, 3 cabin, gorgeous looking boat :)

Oh, and all for under £1m at around the 60 foot mark.

Surely that's not too much to ask :)

Henry

edited to add: and a helicopter landing pad..............for the Phantom quad-copter :)

Last edited:

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Absolutely, those pies don't cook themselves. Besides when you're anchored up somewhere nice it's good to have the option. I'll have a microwave as well for the pot noodles. I'm not stupid........

H.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
I'm there Saturday & Sunday. Birthday on Friday but sadly not planning to treat myself to anything more than a good look round :)

Say hello if you see me :)

Henry

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
What I need is for Princess to design and build me a semi displacement (that will still do 25 knots when needed), massive interior space Portuguese bridge (with that seating area opposite the helm I like), full size fridge freezer, huge oven & masses of storage in the galley, crew cabin with a toilet you can access from the bathing platform when swimming, ultra frugal when pottering along, huge fuel tanks, full beam master, big windows, 3 cabin, gorgeous looking boat :)

A bird just told me something is happening along those lines. We will see.
Obviously you can forget the £1 million pound mark and the helicopter pad.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
A bird just told me something is happening along those lines. We will see.
Obviously you can forget the £1 million pound mark and the helicopter pad.

As Hunton69 says it's only for the radio controlled model. I'm not an unreasonable man !

Are you thinking it will be less than £1m then on account of the smaller engines :eek:

Henry :)

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
There were a couple of stand out boats at Cannes, the Numarine 62 and an Outer Reef thing. They say a picture paints a thousand words, I will have to let you be the judge……

numarine%2062_zpsuir4inof.jpg

outer%20reef_zpsnkpcz5nl.jpg

Henry old chum ! that ain't no Outer Reef , That is a Riviera trideck thing that was parked to our right , the Outer Reef is to the left which you have omitted from the pic .

This is the Outer Reef
Outer Reef 630.JPG

Last edited:

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
To be fair to Rivera they just launched the 72 Sports Motor Yacht (longer version of the 68 with the same hull) and they posted a video in the Facebook page with some rough sea conditions and was doing well.

Riviera are also long range capable having about 20-30% more fuel then similar competition.

I do not think that Riviera selling about 100 boats a year is a coincidence, and while enclosed bridges may not be to everyone tastes they do a lot of good things.
The Sports Motor Yacht is a bit of a bridge between your standard yacht and more sporty features.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

To be fair to Rivera they just launched the 72 Sports Motor Yacht (longer version of the 68 with the same hull) and they posted a video in the Facebook page with some rough sea conditions and was doing well.
Any thoughts on the Maritimo which is a similar kind of boat?

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
Actually, it ain't omitted completely.
Btw, he even managed to include the ORY president, if I'm not mistaken...

Ha ha ! you're right he was there checking up on the EU contingent , hence everyone was on best behaviour , so no Outer Reef party like last year when we got told off for nearly sinking the pontoon so many people came to the christening (bloody great party though :))

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Any thoughts on the Maritimo which is a similar kind of boat?

Maritimo is a bit stronger build but spend less on R&D then what Riviera do, and have a more a more conservative furniture fittings.
Riviera are always looking into Europe, for ideas.
For example they use Ferretti style swivel windows for the patio doors, been among the first after Ferretti to go with astern galley, and same goes with full beam midships cabins.

MapisM

Visit site
For example they use Ferretti style swivel windows for the patio doors
I always wondered why such solution wasn't more widely copied, because it works really well.
Someone told me that Ferretti managed to patent it, but it was also used in the VZ18, and I doubt that Ferretti would have allowed that, if they could restrict VZ from adopting it...
Have you ever heard other theories, PYB?