Cannes Yachting Festival 2017

Portofino

Visit site
Yep, but..

SS Pred 57 - max 32kts
SS San Remo - max 30kts

It's as if you just walked out of the Sunseeker office in La Nap and stumbled on the 1 st two boats they have in stock .
The SS San Remo ( 48 ) must be nearly 2 years old ,it's an IPS vp jobbie ----- no takers as of yet
The Pred 57 - hmm -been there ? -- think since Jan this year .

They too can,t sell cruise as explained 24 -26 knot ish in the real world or maybe even lower dunno .
I,am not saying that's the main reason why they are tied up ---erh in the SoF .
But the FL 63 GTO may end up arriving at gun fight with a knife if you compare it's performance to say an equivalent Pershing /Riva /Azimut ,Otam ,etc

Last y I was coming back via Cannes .You have to slow down between the islands to 8 knots .
As I approached Cannes @ 6 pm a fleet of boats came out maybe 3 Pershings + some others .
I was quit happy 8 on board trundling along @ 28 knots cruise ,
"look behind " a mate said
A formation of 5-6 boats some with roster tails were closing me down .Each packed with punters
I easd up to 32 , they did then 38 ,and started to opened up a gap -they did not get past .They gave up and turned back , after a couple of miles .

So if that 63 GTO goes out ------ and the competition overhauls it ---.
I got up to 40 knots in a Riva 52 with top spec MANs same as in the FL 63 .
So for me it's needs the V12 1550 hp not the V8 1200 --which is what Ferretti put a 52

henryf

www.911virgin.com
I'm a big Princess fan & everyone on here knows it. It's no one thing, rather a combination of attributes. They're put together quite well, they are easy to use in anger, I identify with the classic non dating styling and the equipment fitted seems to be generally well thought out. As someone who hasn't got the time or inclination to research every nut bolt & rivet I want to know that when a post appears on here telling us to check the markings on our skin fittings I breath easy having taken a look.

But the real appeal is the continuous investment they have made throughout the range often when the world seemed to be imploding around them. They have huge internal volume, acres of glass and some lovely textures and styling details. But I've been quite insular in terms of comparison.

Even the most loyal Failine supporter would have to admit that the design team essentially shut up shop in the late 1990s. Some lovely internal finishes but tight inside with small windows and dark interiors. A bit of external tinkering but the basic tub was showing it's age.

For me Sunseeker are the same. The first boat I've walked into and thought yes, this looks the same size on the inside as the outside is the Manhattan 52. Everything else in the line up seems a size smaller inside. I also struggle with what is quite dramatic styling and things like hand rails are often missing in favour of that styling.

But there are more builders than Sunseeker and Fairline. I've seen a few but often I hear brands mentioned that I have no reference points for. I've seen the Monte Carlo Yachts and they are a bit too radical for me. Huge patio doors that swing open wildly rather than safely slide (the boat I saw had just had new glass fitted), bow seating with no safety rails & the styling is very individual.

So I'm looking forward to seeing stuff that doesn't come to the UK shows. I'm going with an open mind but appreciate my ideals won't be the same as other people's. I would trade sun lounging areas for interior space and have no desire to fly along at 50 knots with a huge rooster tail following me. I'm a very practical person. I want to use the boat and get annoyed by compromises. Princess aren't perfect, I struggle with the galleys on anything that starts with a 5. I want a full height fridge freezer with a big cool section that can be accessed without getting down on my knees.

So let's see what the rest of the world brings to the table. At UK shows I've never seen anything to tempt me away from Princess, how will I feel by next Sunday ?

Henry :)

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
You should certainly check out Ferretti. As I said check out the Targa 63 as it's the first all new FL (SQ53 wasn't an entirely new hull). And from the conversation we had with FL some time ago, they are giving more attention to internal volume.

Portofino

Visit site
H ,you will notice a big Prinny interest the French have taken them to there hearts .
In La Nap , Prinnys F HQ , they turn them around ,move em on ,new stock arrives weekly .
A nice new think 34 M turned up for PDI late August ,most popular seems to be the 49 FB and is it a V 56 or 58 ? Sports .

Chris H

Visit site
I'm at the show on Saturday, just to nosey at some new stuff, more interested in used....what's this about used boats across the bay ?
Oh and Henry, the don't sell real beer down here, so you can buy me a rose !

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
GTO 63 , does look fab -well it's penned by an Italian .
I do hope once they entice folks on board ,it feels everybit as good as three I saw in San Remo ?
31knots C18,s and 32 MAN 1200 ,s are disappointing .
Competitors are high thirties if not nudging 40 .
So knocking off 6 knots for mid season fouling , weight gain , and being mindfull on rpm - keeping it away from WOT then
24-26 cruise down if FB territory .
Equivalent Riva on shafts will add 5 knots on that for the same rpm ( bigger engines )
Otam ,Pershing ,with Arnesons there 60 somthings will leave a GTO for dead .
Some of these prospectives will drill down into these figures .

To quote all this it is impressive how a percentage 25% want speed (may be even more) or cruise of 30 knots plus to reach Corsica ASAP and escape the mundane routine of Cannes and the area for a weekend.

But surface drives are not always easy to install I remember the 55 Predator (53 Portofino with Sd) which was delayed for a year because of not a perfect set up. Think it was 2004.
So the question is this how much is the hull of the new Fairline designed for them. You have to remember that Fairline has never ever did a surface drive boat.
Sunseeker when they did the 80 had a head start from Don Shead who did design some boats for Italians with SDs in the past, plus he had the experience with the legendary CUV 38 hull later on used for the 34 XPS Portofino, 39 Cobra, 37 Tomahawk, and 43 Thunderhawk.
For the 53 to 55 Pred Surface Drives change I heard that at the time (the client of 55 Predator #1 being Italian) they had to consult some Italian naval architect.
As at launch the ride was a bit humpy.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Cruising at the usual 25 knots is fine for me, particularly if it means a well proven hull design and maintenance costs for the underwater gear measured in pennies. :)

And dinner always tastes better when it was "free" courtesy of taking advantage of lovely weather to potter along at a fuel sipping displacement speed. The best of both worlds.....

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
To quote all this it is impressive how a percentage 25% want speed (may be even more) or cruise of 30 knots plus to reach Corsica ASAP and escape the mundane routine of Cannes and the area for a weekend.

But surface drives are not always easy to install I remember the 55 Predator (53 Portofino with Sd) which was delayed for a year because of not a perfect set up. Think it was 2004.
So the question is this how much is the hull of the new Fairline designed for them. You have to remember that Fairline has never ever did a surface drive boat.
Sunseeker when they did the 80 had a head start from Don Shead who did design some boats for Italians with SDs in the past, plus he had the experience with the legendary CUV 38 hull later on used for the 34 XPS Portofino, 39 Cobra, 37 Tomahawk, and 43 Thunderhawk.
For the 53 to 55 Pred Surface Drives change I heard that at the time (the client of 55 Predator #1 being Italian) they had to consult some Italian naval architect.
As at launch the ride was a bit humpy.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not aware of any plans to fit surface drives to the 63GTO unless someone knows otherwise.

Portofino

Visit site
I'm at the show on Saturday, just to nosey at some new stuff, more interested in used....what's this about used boats across the bay ?
Oh and Henry, the don't sell real beer down here, so you can buy me a rose !

Main show is the vielle Port -enter there .
Across the small bay by Navette @ the end of the SY quay is Porto Peirre Canto --here as used boats -indeed maybe a few 50 ftrs represented by brokers -a fare mix .
Beverages
There is a beach cafe at the back of the Festival hall , away from the hassle /bustle , overlooking the little bay .

Also a quiet place in the other Port .btw they call marinas "ports "

As well a usual busy places in the tented trade stands near the town .

63 GTO development .
Yup come to think about it
Arnesons are not FL bag ,but they are buying outside help now .
A V 8 is shorter and lighter than the V 12 ,s ,then there's tankage , trim etc .
If they have gone for the "wow" factor supersized owners mid cabin suite above the speed , ie no room in the ER for anything bigger ,then they will loose sales -simples .
Assuming the look and fit n finish is as good or in a complimentary way (Pete ) better , then the differentiator is performance ,followed by price in the 60 + ftr Med sports boat arena .

I need to see how tight the ER space is --- thats where I will head 1st the ER
Also I would like to see the deadrise No too ,

But as I said on the free test drive ,all the punters want to do is WOT them ,not lay on the master bed or count steps, or measure fridge capacity .

Bums on seats -sells

Interesting to see if it's ready for punters to "test" it ----cos the Ferretti group stuff ( Pershing , Itama , Riva , and the rest ) plus -- SS , Priny , Azimut et al berths will be empy around 4-6 pm ,

Bay of Cannes is a bun fight .

Last edited:

Time Out

Visit site
I shall be there for the duration, we have 4 boats over in Canto and a smaller stand on the SuperYacht extension, those that know me please come and say hi, if you ask nicely I may get you a private tender over to Canto!

MapisM

Visit site
W, you mean 25% of those who opt for a HT sport(ish) boat, I suppose?
Because if referred to the total of boaters, that percentage sounds enormous - 2.5 would be more likely than 25, imho.

Incidentally, lately I had the opportunity to hear about the usage that several boaters make of similar boats, like the DP58, 72 and 80 - all capable of 30kts cruising speed, even without SD transmissions (which btw aren't a bed of roses, in more ways than one).
And most of these folks are happy to cruise in the mid 20s - pretty much as most f/b guys can do, leaving fuel burn concerns aside.

Anyhow, I agree with PF that anyone interested in an Otam would never consider the FL 63, but I'm not so sure that this should be a major concern for FL team.
I mean, it's not like the Med is flooded with Otams...

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
W, you mean 25% of those who opt for a HT sport(ish) boat, I suppose?
Because if referred to the total of boaters, that percentage sounds enormous - 2.5 would be more likely than 25, imho.

Yes off course I mean for the Sport Yacht type. 20-25% Med boaters of boats between 15-25 meters look for high performance solutions, which most of the time is surface drives.

Otam is not the comparison here, but a Pershing as are some of the high performing shafts only Riva, Princess or Sunseeker.
Pershing market share has important nos.

Going back a couple of years a good indication for this would be the following two models:
Uniesse 55 Sports (launched in 2011) which was available with both shafts and surface drives, and 4 of the ten so models delivered was with surface drives. Three of these shipped to USA.
Pershing 5X is also selling 50-50.

So to go away from the SD argument which is more complicated then one would think, the 63 Targa GTO will depend on price (less or more to 1.5 million EUROS) and if it gives a cruise of 28-30 knots.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Yes off course I mean for the Sport Yacht type. 20-25% Med boaters of boats between 15-25 meters look for high performance solutions, which most of the time is surface drives.

Otam is not the comparison here, but a Pershing as are some of the high performing shafts only Riva, Princess or Sunseeker.
Pershing market share has important nos.

Going back a couple of years a good indication for this would be the following two models:
Uniesse 55 Sports (launched in 2011) which was available with both shafts and surface drives, and 4 of the ten so models delivered was with surface drives. Three of these shipped to USA.
Pershing 5X is also selling 50-50.

So to go away from the SD argument which is more complicated then one would think, the 63 Targa GTO will depend on price (less or more to 1.5 million EUROS) and if it gives a cruise of 28-30 knots.

Getting very off topic now, sorry - but PYB, do you know if the Pershing 56 was ever sold with shafts rather than surface drives?

Portofino

Visit site
I think the Pershing 50 can had with either .56 upwards are SD .

Baia are another competitor too to the FL63 GTO

As said assume build Q is right up there - no issues then I think the differentiator will be performance unless it's dead cheap .It may undercut a bit cos its got smaller engines .

The sea trails will be embarrassing Vs Pershing , Riva ,Azimut , Baia HT,s and I have to say it if an open is on the shopping list Itama 62 cruise is higher than the GTO,s WOT .

You don,t tear around over + 30 knots ,it's just nice to know you can and arn,t restricted to 24 knots .

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
I think the Pershing 50 can had with either .56 upwards are SD .

Baia are another competitor too to the FL63 GTO

As said assume build Q is right up there - no issues then I think the differentiator will be performance unless it's dead cheap .It may undercut a bit cos its got smaller engines .

The sea trails will be embarrassing Vs Pershing , Riva ,Azimut , Baia HT,s and I have to say it if an open is on the shopping list Itama 62 cruise is higher than the GTO,s WOT .

You don,t tear around over + 30 knots ,it's just nice to know you can and arn,t restricted to 24 knots .

Thanks L, but what does SD stand for here - shaft drive or surface drive? (I think you mean surface drive, but just checking...)

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Getting very off topic now, sorry - but PYB, do you know if the Pershing 56 was ever sold with shafts rather than surface drives?

56 only in SD. Mans 1360 or 1550hp. Most are with the later. About 50 where sold, then it became the 58, and then extended redesigned hard top etc and is now the succesful 62.

The 50 (50.1) was available with both SD and shafts (from 2006 onwards) and this one actually runs better with shafts.

Sorry to the poster for OT

Portofino

Visit site
56 only in SD. Mans 1360 or 1550hp. Most are with the later. About 50 where sold, then it became the 58, and then extended redesigned hard top etc and is now the succesful 62.
Sorry to the poster for OT

V12 ,s that the point ! Enough torque to stop the earth spinning nevermind spin a bigger pitched prop = higher top end

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Having experienced a Heathrow Pod for the first time I'm having my last taste of Britain in the form of some porrige prior to immersing myself in all that is Mediteranian motor boating. 16 different manufacturers on the list, some of which I have never stepped foot on before.

Going with an open mind and really looking to comparing what's there to my British yard stick.

Wish me luck.

Next week the more familiar Southampton !

mcanderson

Visit site
I was there yesterday. The queue to get through security is interesting with some great multinational behaviours to be noted.

I thought it was a great show and lots of magnificent boats to be seen.

Enjoy.