Cannes Yachting Festival 2017

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Having managed to blag a couple of tickets we are venturing out of our normal comfort zone and seeing how the other half live for a couple of days in Cannes.

Obviously I'll pack a selection of pasties so I don't go hungry and see if I can borrow a Hublot to replace the Timex so they at least let me sit in a couple of tenders. Very much looking forward to visiting my first European boat show.

Assuming we make it back in one piece I will let you know how we get on.

Brushing up on the lingo already, apparently they call a ham & cheese toasty a "Croque Monsieur". They'll think I'm a local :)

Henry :)

TonyR123

Visit site
went last year and has the biggest selection of boats going. you have to register to go on the majority of boats which is a bit of pain, but other than that pretty good. hopefully not to hot as all you then want to do is find boats with air con.

you need to blag tickets to the monaco boat show - am sure i read they were £150+ each.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Let's see how Cannes goes first, I don't want to turn into JFM. The mayor of Gosport is already worried and asking if she's done anything to offend me.

I don't have a problem registering my details although there are quite a few instances when pretty much as soon as you step on board you know it isn't a boat or a brand for you so any promotional effort is wasted. I'm going to make it my business to get inside a Ferretti for the first time in my life having tried and failed at various shows over the past 20 years.

Princess obviously have some familiar real estate I can retire to if it all seems too alien. Looking forward to seeing the new 62 inside. I suspect I pretty much know what to expect having seen the S60 & S65. Their P68 & 75 Motor Yacht make an appearance just in case we find a couple of million down the back of the sofa, I would say they are my benchmark on which to judge others.

For me boat shows are all about looking at stuff you wouldn't normally consider or are unfamiliar with as well as keeping up to date with the familiar so I go with an open mind and look forward to a couple of days chewing the boating fat.

EME

www.lumishore.com
Cannes is the boat show I enjoy most every year (apart from London because of meeting up with everyone). You just can't see all the boats you want to. The only 'qualification' you ever get from Salesfolk is ' So you looking to buy a boat sir?' to which the best answer I've heard yet is "Its not buying them I worry about its selling them afterwards'. My only tip be to accelerate access to boats would be to say "Were looking at buying a new boat down here" .. and be assertive that you don't want to wait for ½ hour etc. etc. Generally there aren't that many folks there compared to say Southampton or Dusseldorf so a lot more leisurely. It isn't going to be too hot this year and we might even get some rain ( long overdue).

Portofino

Visit site
A few tips
I found it easier to fill the preliminary forms with a none UK address.Then you get a person who be be ok at Eng its not there mother tongue --- just keeps the drol questions down .
About 1/2 the stands usual big brands require this form .

Tell them you just bought a mooring , here in the SoF - clock the dims of the target before blabbing ,make sure it will fit .
There ears prick up and before long you will be offered a drink .
Start by saying somthing like this " do you know the beam ( use hand gestures ) --it needs to fit in my mooring "

There's no H n S here - so you can walk all over it and get into the E room .

They do afternnon / evening - joy rides in the bay of Cannes in groups of 10-12 and you can helm it .
Reps don't go ,the crew take you out -with the Ferritti range .

Watch ,shoes , thingy etc may help -- if you can ,cos the reps will look at the label inside -wear somthing decent that will not be out of place when it comes to rumigging in the shoe basket at the end .

How ever knowing you have just bought a mooring trumps the well attired fender kicker .

Don,t forget to take the navette across the little bay to the other marina --used boats well presented to crawl over if you wish. Big ish cica 100 ft few orphans to help calibrate your VfM o meter .

Following these protocols
I remember being invited the following year to the Ferritti preview the week end before ( have an invite this y too- busy I,am afraid ) in Monaco -Fri pm Elton John concert at the Yacht Club ,followed Sat test driving them all ,

Most memorable moment was on a San Lorenzo 140 on the upper deck , with the rep .
Just My family and guests at the time .They were all wondering around and the stewie giving out drinks .
Rep and me looking out from the top .
It had 4 double guests below as well as the fwd owners accomodation, I glanced across the bay and said , "will it be big enough " looking @ bigger super yachts anchored .
Bloke said -" -let's face it -do you really want more than 4 couples as guests at one time -suposed to be fun ,liesure "
Most owners just want there family + 1or 2 guests
Sales men !

I won,t be able to make this one this year so plan to go to Genoa at the end of Sept for a change ,

Last edited:

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Thanks for that. I'm happy in terms of what to say. I always make things easy by dressing smartly with a nice pair of boots (I don't do shoes) and a recognisable watch which I have as a daily wearer anyway.

Ultimately as an owner you know the relevant questions, if a sales bod can't spot a genuine owner then they shouldn't be there. As a punter I can spot people there on a day out within 30 seconds of them opening their mouth. I probably won't lie and claim to have a berth for fear of looking silly. In many cases a lot of the manufacturers don't exhibit in the UK so the only way for a British boater to see the product would be to come somewhere like Cannes.

Am I going to buy a boat next week? No. But then I never thought I'd buy a new Princess all those years ago when we used to see them at S-ton or London & I'm on my second one !

It's very easy to press the buy button when you are familiar with the product. Much harder when the sales person is having to sell you on the product before you even talk price. I think most people buy their next boat a long time before they actually hand over the money.

We are there Friday and Saturday. Very much looking forward to it and seeing what there is in the 50 - 60 ish foot range. With the really big stuff I know when it clearly doesn't work but beyond that I'm no expert.

hunton69

Visit site
Having managed to blag a couple of tickets we are venturing out of our normal comfort zone and seeing how the other half live for a couple of days in Cannes.

Obviously I'll pack a selection of pasties so I don't go hungry and see if I can borrow a Hublot to replace the Timex so they at least let me sit in a couple of tenders. Very much looking forward to visiting my first European boat show.

Assuming we make it back in one piece I will let you know how we get on.

Brushing up on the lingo already, apparently they call a ham & cheese toasty a "Croque Monsieur". They'll think I'm a local :)

Henry we will be there on Thursday flying out Wednesday back on Friday would be great if you could buy me a beer.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
I still haven't seen a squadron 53 yet either. I've almost forgotten they were going to make it !

I hope the GTO is finished properly. I can still remember the handrail off the stand plopping into the water as I stepped aboard the Targa 53. Something of an omen !

Portofino

Visit site
Has there ever been a launch boat that was fully ready!

I'm looking forward to seeing the Mancini stuff and more importantly the Vripack under the skin. Guess I'll have to wait a while as not going to Nice.

I don,t agree Pete ,last years SS Hatten 52 was @ La Napoule many weeks before its world review @ Cannes .
There's some new Absolute and other dealer stuff as well from others .
Fairline .fr is also based in La Nap .It was not there 2 weeks ago .

I went on a new debut ( can,t say ) 51 last year @ Cannes , with a mate who,s just sold his ,or should I say been bought out -joinery buisness -kitchens ,lab ,school desks ,etc --Supplies Uk schools etc .
On we went invited by the dealer , stepped down loose steps to a creaky cabin sole , --mate opens a galley door and points to the hindge ( not sure what I was looking at TBO ?) then he gets his finger nail between some work top trim and it pops off ,panal gaps all uneven .
We never went into the fwd cabin or the stern cabins ( 3 Cabin boat )
Just made polite excuses and went to the next .
Sure all this "pre production " or what ever it's called -- it's a put off !
The Ferretti group fleet is battle harded either stock or customers ,folks are picky especially the locals .
Sunseeker and Princess a slick operation next to each other ,with Ferretti group dominating one side .
Fairline are in the mix in the B list places I have to say .
If there's a tech issue eg a vibration or excess resonance or what ever ,then they won,t go out in the afternoon or evening .
That will look odd as the competitors "get bums on seats "

I,ll have a look @ it at Genoa ,it's got to beat Otam and Pershing ,Riva as well if you are patriotic SS and Priny .
Tough call in the HT -60 ftr
I think a Anerson FO modal should have been the launch with a Eco shafty to follow , if they want to get new foriegn buyers from other brands into FL .
Think about it GTO ???? ---- yeh right !

Last edited:

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I don,t agree Pete ,last years SS Hatten 52 was @ La Napoule many weeks before its world review @ Cannes .
There's some new Absolute and other dealer stuff as well from others .
Fairline .fr is also based in La Nap .It was not there 2 weeks ago .

I went on a new debut ( can,t say ) 51 last year @ Cannes , with a mate who,s just sold his ,or should I say been bought out -joinery buisness -kitchens ,lab ,school desks ,etc --Supplies Uk schools etc .
On we went invited by the dealer , stepped down loose steps to a creaky cabin sole , --mate opens a galley door and points to the hindge ( not sure what I was looking at TBO ?) then he gets his finger nail between some work top trim and it pops off ,panal gaps all uneven .
We never went into the fwd cabin or the stern cabins ( 3 Cabin boat )
Just made polite excuses and went to the next .
Sure all this "pre production " or what ever it's called -- it's a put off !
The Ferretti group fleet is battle harded either stock or customers ,folks are picky especially the locals .
Sunseeker and Princess a slick operation next to each other ,with Ferretti group dominating one side .
Fairline are in the mix in the B list places I have to say .
If there's a tech issue eg a vibration or excess resonance or what ever ,then they won,t go out in the afternoon or evening .
That will look odd as the competitors "get bums on seats "

I,ll have a look @ it at Genoa ,it's got to beat Otam and Pershing ,Riva as well if you are patriotic SS and Priny .
Tough call in the HT -60 ftr
I think a Anerson FO modal should have been the launch with a Eco shafty to follow , if they want to get new foriegn buyers from other brands into FL .
Think about it GTO ???? ---- yeh right !

GTO Stands for GT Open as it's a cross between a GT (closed saloon) and an Open (saloon) due to the vertically sliding glass door Any comparison with Ferrari is in your imagination :).

New Fairline are a different scale to SS and Princess these days so no surprise that they're not alongside the big boys. I call that exclusive!

If you're at the show Porto, ask the FL guys what difference Vripack have made. That's the most interesting bit for me.

Last edited:

MrB

Visit site
Go on, I'll bite, why SS and Priny over Fairline?

Honestly, go and look at the joinery, engine rooms, construction, etc and tell me why you think FL are inferior.

I'm quite interested in this also. What makes Fairline "B list" ? I know SS are twice the price of the equivalent FL but why so? Just name or build quality?

Portofino

Visit site
Go on, I'll bite, why SS and Priny over Fairline?

Honestly, go and look at the joinery, engine rooms, construction, etc and tell me why you think FL are inferior.

Pete -you have got it all wrong .
I mean,t there's two others as well if you have to buy British ,who probably are show more ready .
Yes I agree new FL is impressive .From the dock anyhow .
I was at San Remo earlier this sumner HQ to FL .IT --- that's like selling coal to Newcastle .
Three new modals ( can,t recall ) they looked good a step change in the fit n finish ,little details I noticed like teak apparant thickness , Dia of the stainless stuff , hindge quality etc .
They did stand out from the nieghbours , IT stuff .
GTO 63 , does look fab -well it's penned by an Italian .
I do hope once they entice folks on board ,it feels everybit as good as three I saw in San Remo ?
31knots C18,s and 32 MAN 1200 ,s are disappointing .
Competitors are high thirties if not nudging 40 .
So knocking off 6 knots for mid season fouling , weight gain , and being mindfull on rpm - keeping it away from WOT then
24-26 cruise down if FB territory .
Equivalent Riva on shafts will add 5 knots on that for the same rpm ( bigger engines )
Otam ,Pershing ,with Arnesons there 60 somthings will leave a GTO for dead .
Some of these prospectives will drill down into these figures .
I guess by 2018 , they will have feedback and it can,t be diff to up power it -if they sence buyers are going else where cos its slow .which it is FACT ---
Don,t know the £ , but if I was in the 60 somthing sports boats --- its a none goer .
Take SS eg a Pred 82
Shafts ,-3 engines choises
2x Arnesons
Tripple Arnesons
That's marketing all those years ago .2003 ?

Portofino

Visit site
I'm quite interested in this also. What makes Fairline "B list" ? I know SS are twice the price of the equivalent FL but why so? Just name or build quality?

Nope it's B in relation to the Marques place @ Cannes .

Just an observation --- I don,t design the sets
A list side is SS in the corner ,Priny San Lorenzo ( small stand ) Ferretti group huge meters long then Azimut Benetti finishing off the line .With Ferretti taking 1/2 of the A list quay .

FL is near , Fiart , galeon on a more finger pontoon ish place .

I have not thought much about price ,just image and wether the buyer wants one .
Once over £ 1 M the discretionary bit increase and shadows the VFM
Where as say @ 350 -500 K , then VFM comes into play and the French boats win hands down .
There stands are more down market btw ,different market segment .
Then there is the super yacht section , Benetti , etc , owners boats in use all newish -never many on as Monaco hosts a SY show later .just loads of dumb guys in blue blazers looking board on small exquisite shoreside trade stands .No price boards .

Last edited:

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
To be honest, from what I hear the quality of the smaller SS's has gone down from the show boat and even that wasn't great! And would the size of a manufacturers stand really affect your buying decision?

Don't come to Cheltenham the brand new BMW garage looks like an airport terminal and is bigger than some airports that I've flow commercial through. and they've got nearly 200 staff there but still need 3 days to sync a new key to the car. The Bentley dealer next door looks like a garden shed in comparison.

Last edited: