Cannes Yachting Festival 2017

MapisM

Visit site
Going with an open mind and really looking to comparing what's there to my British yard stick.
Did you get vaccinated before leaving?
Just in case you didn't know, the WHO is evaluating the inclusion of Med boating in their list of highly infective diseases.
It's even reported to have dangerous side effects, like depression for those used to think of boating in the Channel with a Brit boat as a proper yardstick... :rolleyes: :cool:

Have a good time, looking fwd to your report. :encouragement:

Last edited:

Time Out

Visit site
Look like ? I am wearing some of Time Incs finest cast offs.

Swing past the Burgess stand by Benetti and say hi.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
The traffic is pretty bad round the show today. I did try to get in, but after battling through the traffic, I eventually gave up after encountering some French histrionics at the security check. I only wanted to look at the T63 and it was all just too much like hard work - so I'm now back in Antibes. I'll console myself by having a look at Jack's video of it instead.

DAW

Visit site
We had similar problems yesterday ... Well over an hour to do the 3 miles from the A8 to the Vieux Port, car parks were all full so we had to go to Port Canto and although we were taken through the exhibitors entrance by Sunseeker, I had friends who queued for more than 30 minutes to get through the public entrance later in the day.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

The traffic is pretty bad round the show today. I did try to get in, but after battling through the traffic, I eventually gave up .

Youre putting me off for next year. I would have thought a T-Max would be the perfect weapon for getting to the show. Do many people anchor off and tender into the show or is that not permitted?

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Youre putting me off for next year. I would have thought a T-Max would be the perfect weapon for getting to the show. Do many people anchor off and tender into the show or is that not permitted?

No, I don't think you can tender in, the port is closed to all boat traffic except exhibitors with passes.

I've got to say that after having been to the show maybe three times in recent years, I'm really not a fan. I get that it's a big show, and normally it would be hot and sunny (not today, but normal service is forecast for tomorrow) - but unless you're being VIP'd in then it's all just too much effort. I don't think I'll bother again.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I've got to say that after having been to the show maybe three times in recent years, I'm really not a fan. I get that it's a big show, and normally it would be hot and sunny (not today, but normal service is forecast for tomorrow) - but unless you're being VIP'd in then it's all just too much effort. I don't think I'll bother again.

Shame. I had the impression that it was quite a relaxed show but obviously I was wrong. Looks like Southampton is the place to be then!

Time Out

Visit site
The security needs to be "polished" and there were exceptional queues today not just for the public but also exhibitors as well.

A bit more training and more scanners should do the trick. I can absolutely understand the need sadly.

There is a slight flaw, we tender over from Canto in the morning onto the VIP pontoon and straight in...

Southampton next Thursday for me, not really missing it though it has to be said.

wakeup

Visit site
Shame. I had the impression that it was quite a relaxed show but obviously I was wrong. Looks like Southampton is the place to be then!

What a shame. I must have been 5 or 6 times in the last 12 years and it has always been easy to get to and around in a very relaxed way. I wonder is it additional security follownig the Nice incident and general levels of terrorist acitivty that has buggered this up.

Not so upset that I will miss it by only one day this year, though I would have loved to have seen the 63 up close.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Right then, a quick update from your man in France. ....

Things mostly going well. Charged €9 for a £1 bottle of water in the hotel but luckily the local money looks nothing like our stuff so easy to pretend it's not real.

Got to the show late afternoon by the time we'd flown in. 9.40 flight from Heathrow, 4pm entry into show in essence a 7 & a half hour journey door to door.

Security wasn't too bad at that time but 2 scanners each with a guy sliding a plastic box with your phone etc 3 feet along a table as you walk through the scanner. We will see what happens this morning. Sunny our there today.

Forced to go through an inside hall of luxury type stuff to get to the boats, you can't just walk along the quay. I started at one end and am working my way through. Fairline are right at the other end, we did make the slog but unfortunately the 63 was just getting ready to depart and so haven't seen it. I will go back today.

Getting onto boats is Ok. You register at the entrance to the stand and are assigned someone who shows you round. Usually the UK rep but not always.

There are a lot of boats to see. If you were here looking to buy you'd need a good few days, even after a few hours they all start to blur into one another but it's proving to be an interesting excercise with at least one surprise so far.....

Henry :)

mcanderson

Visit site
Henry, there is another entrance down near the Beneteau stand. Less of a queuenas not everyone knows about it. Straight on to boats. No hall of luxury.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Wow. What a whirlwind couple of days in Cannes. So how was it? We had a great time and in truth I’m not sure 2 days is enough. Frustratingly as we were waiting at the airport to leave an old friend called to see if we wanted to meet up. He was there buying a Sunseeker 115. I know... but apparently the lead time for a Princess 35m was just too long :)

I’ve subsequently discovered a load of friends who were there over the course of the show. I can see that Cannes is a great social hub. There are a lot of boats on display, we didn’t even attempt to blag our way onto the big stuff, there was more than enough to see whilst still keeping things vaguely realistic price wise. In particular I was keen to see stuff that wasn’t going to be in Southampton next week. So what took my eye?

I know very little about Ferretti and they were the first people we went to see, specifically the 550 flybridge. A micro Galley starboard aft seems a common failing on manufacturers of 50 something foot boats. I struggle to understand how you can build accommodation for 6 people then assume they don’t need any food prep or storage space but Ferretti are not alone. There’s quite a lot of gelcoat showing inside the 550, I’m used to more wood or fabric so not necessarily wrong but different. Full beam master cabin and 3rd cabin were a bit more compromised in terms of flat ceilings and floors than I would expect but the forward VIP had cathedral like headroom courtesy of the bow seating. Helm position on the flybridge looked a long way back from the wind dodge. I didn’t walk away thinking the next boat would be a Ferretti but I’ve opened the account in terms of getting on board.

ferretti%20550%20flybridge_zpshxlym3vm.jpg

ferretti%20550%20master_zpsmg0aax10.jpg

ferretti%20550%20forward_zpsdctvjapz.jpg

ferretti%20550%20saloon_zpsfwiywudo.jpg

ferretti%20550%20third_zpsf4w2aa0e.jpg