Canal du midi winter transit

[27631]

N/A
Visit site
Hi...is it possible to transit the canal du Midi in the winter months...say now til April? 10 M yacht ..draws 1.2 M.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Also, check recent news with VNF Voies Navigables de France, the past few days' floods in the SW, besides a number of victims, have damaged or destroyed here and there all sorts of infrastructures.
I heard the Canal du Midi being mentioned on the news though I don't remember what they said about it.

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Currently, the C du Midi is in chaos, more or less between Homps and Carcassonne. Severe floods, loss of life and sections emptied. The worst is over but I'd say forget the Midi until they get things sorted out for next spring.
To answer only the question, normally there are intermittent closures for maintenance which involve draining sections of the canal or repairing lock gates, etc. Outside those obvious interruptions the canal is closed to normal passage during the winter. However, it is possible to travel through by making specific arrangements in advance with VNF (the French waterways authority) and having a lock-keeper accompany. Naturally, you have to keep to a pre-planned schedule with no stops for sightseeing, etc.

[27631]

N/A
Visit site
Many thanks..my french is a non starter so I find the VNF site ponderous.!
Didnt know about the flood damage,the aftermath of which is no doubt plenty of hitherto unknown underwater obstructions for any early transitting boats to discover........maybe the Rhone /Bourbonnais option , boat has 80 hp so upstream run should be manageable..but would still have to be in winter months..are the closures as extensive
and lengthy on that part of the network?

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
VNF Information - http://www.vnf.fr/vnf/content.vnf?action=content&occ_id=30461&son_id=33037
Stoppages - http://www.vnf.fr/vnf/img/cms/Transport_fluvialhidden/carte_chômages2019_ed1_20180427110356.pdf
Rhone - https://www.french-waterways.com/practicalities/cruising-conditions/#fw-tab-content-0-3
Routes - https://www.french-waterways.com/practicalities/canal-route-mediterranean/

Forget the Bourbonnais route - closed from January to March. The (more) 'open' route is the 'Champagne' - Saone to the Marne, but you must expect difficulties in any winter passage, whether from weather, Rhone currents, maintenance closures, forced unplanned closures (eg ice on the waterway) etc. It gets very cold in central France in the winter so Uncomfortably Numb could be the order of the day. Things can of course go well, but I'd anticipate it not being a pleasant experience. 80HP is not that powerful if the Rhone is being wilful.
And if you're serious, mugging up on some French would be a pretty good idea.

[27631]

N/A
Visit site
Thanks...didn't think it would be easy , but fed up of going round the outside in winter , suppose much depends on the upcoming winters weather !! How cold and/or wet it is....
Take the point re.language but I do struggle with French other than basic words.
Thanks again for the sensible replies here.

GTom

Visit site
Same question as the OP, with a deeper draft boat: any chance of getting a 1.4m draft bilge keel boat trough before the season, let's say April? How reliable is the official 1.5m depth?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Same question as the OP, with a deeper draft boat: any chance of getting a 1.4m draft bilge keel boat trough before the season, let's say April? How reliable is the official 1.5m depth?

My info is a long time out of date, we came through in April 2005 drawing 1.4 metres. We touched bottom several times. I understand that depth is less than that sometimes. Probably the best up-to-date English language info is on the Grehan site.

GTom

Visit site
Thank you, found the site very informative but also interested in trip reports, if my bilge keels(!) with 1.4m salt water(!) draft would be too much to ask.

GTom

Visit site
Having motored all the way down there we ran aground just under the bridge, with the Mediterranean in sight. Depth was less than 1 metre. Had to go all the way back up again through Narbonne and eventually out at Agde.

Sounds doable (not the 1m of course but the slight detour), what was your draft?

Last edited:

GTom

Visit site
See post #10. 1.4 metres. We touched several times in locks on the descending side but lock keepers were always helpful in letting more water in to float us off.

Sorry, should have emphasized the bilge keels: they're about 3m apart and the depth is needed on the sides not in the center. If the depth profile of the canal isn't flat, might run into a problem... Is your boat also a bilge keel one?

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
As you can see below, canals are not 'flat' but more or less vee-shaped.
1.4m deep bilge keels, 3m apart will cause you severe problems, IMHO although I have no personal experience of such a configuration. 1.5m is the stated depth, in the centre of the channel (ie the canal) and we normally advise to treat that with caution. That said, the Midi should have max availability of water/depth in April. Forget all about Port la Nouvelle and exit at Agde/Herault or further east - if you can make it!
P1160080.jpg
Canal de Garonne near Agen.

GTom

Visit site
As you can see below, canals are not 'flat' but more or less vee-shaped.
1.4m deep bilge keels, 3m apart will cause you severe problems, IMHO although I have no personal experience of such a configuration. 1.5m is the stated depth, in the centre of the channel (ie the canal) and we normally advise to treat that with caution. That said, the Midi should have max availability of water/depth in April. Forget all about Port la Nouvelle and exit at Agde/Herault or further east - if you can make it!
View attachment 78614
Canal de Garonne near Agen.

Wow, that's definitely a no-go even when full...

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Sorry, should have emphasized the bilge keels: they're about 3m apart and the depth is needed on the sides not in the center. If the depth profile of the canal isn't flat, might run into a problem... Is your boat also a bilge keel one?

No, fin keel. We had problems getting close to the banks and used a passerelle on occasions.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
I've done the canals more than a dozen times once from Amsterdam and found the French are pretty efficient when they have unexpected problems. Good at telling you how long the delay is expected to be and suggesting alternative routes. I think the most dangerous place to be when there is severe flooding is probably the Saone as its big, fast with low laying land around.

The Canal du Midi is frequently more shallow than posted and in high summer can be very problematical. In winter going north you come out into the big river south of Bordeaux and then have to make La Rochelle before proceeding up the coast to the channel islands. The main routes towards Paris and Le Havre are much more user friendly and if you do go aground the lock keepers will raise the water level for you a few inches.
It is actually a very pleasant relaxing passage from Sete or Port la Nouvelle to Rouen or Le Havre to put up the mast and it is certainly not an outward bound course. Can sometime be difficult getting deeper keeled boats alongside the bank but the answer is to put the bows in and leave the stern sticking out. There are no currents and provided other boats can get past its not a serious issue.
Have a look at my web page http://www.michaelbriant.com/french_canal_routes.htm

I have also done the outside Biscay route around 12 times and of the two I find the canals far more relaxing and more memorable experience.