can you identify this mainsheet track?

ColinR

www.victoriashadow.co.uk
I need to get a new traveller but I can't seem to find the right one. The track is not listed by any of the main suppliers. I was hoping to be able to buy a new traveller but if I can't match it I will be looking at new track as well, not cheap. Its 20 years old on a Victoria 30

thanks

Colin

Leighb

Visit site
The style of the traveller reminds me of the IYE slider on my Proctor boom, but their gear usually has IYE marked on it somewhere.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
The style of the traveller reminds me of the IYE slider on my Proctor boom, but their gear usually has IYE marked on it somewhere.
I agree that it looks like IYE - and it is still made. I know because I replaced my mail sheet track and fittings last winter. I've even got a length of the old K series track in the garage - the ends were written off when I removed it and the fittings from the boat, but the middle section of a meter or more is ok

The problem is that the dimensions don't quite agree. Here's IYE C series track:

Travellers_C_track_section.gif

And here is their K series track:

Travellers_K_track_section.gif

Last edited:

michael_w

Visit site
As the top surface is flat rather than dished, I think it could well be a "Fico" track as my old Contessa 33 had similar.

Fico were taken over by Ronstan. Have a look here: Ronstan

Adamastor

Visit site
Hi Colin- I'd probably look at replacing the whole bang-shoot. The reason being the track is probably worn, and to refurbish it will change its dimensions, which will affect the replacement car. Look around for specials- I'd look at anything on special with equal favour- brands are irrelevant unless you have a racing budget!

ColinR

www.victoriashadow.co.uk
Hi Colin- I'd probably look at replacing the whole bang-shoot. The reason being the track is probably worn, and to refurbish it will change its dimensions, which will affect the replacement car. Look around for specials- I'd look at anything on special with equal favour- brands are irrelevant unless you have a racing budget!

you're probably right and I expect that's what I'll end up doing. The lewmar track has sliding bolt positions so you can re-use the same holes. But at £300 plus I thought I'd see if a replacement traveller is an option.
Colin

ianat182

Visit site
No location in your profile, so don't know whether you can get to the Chandlery Barge at Bursledon, they have several pieces of tracking and some already fitted with travellers etc.if you have to replace probably marginally cheaper than a new setup. A Google should give you a phone number to ask your questions .

ianat182

Talulah

Visit site
May be Rutgerson track and car.
I have similar looking on mine.
The track is no longer available.
They have told me in the past the new cars will fit the old track but I don't believe it.
I have two new Rutgerson end stops and I had to machine the track in situ to get them to fit.

smth448

Visit site
I would recommend replacing the system with one from Barton if budget is tight or Lewmar if you don't mind spending a bit more.
On my old boat I changed from a similar track / traveller to yours, which was forever jamming, to a Lewmar system a few years ago. The ease of adjustment was dramatic, even under heavy load. I used to have to ease the mainsheet before I could move the traveller. The Lewmar system was brilliant and, as one of the other posters has said, the sliding captive bolts mean you can use the original holes, and it looks really neat.

If money is no object you could always fit Harken. That really would be the "Poodles Privates", with a price to match! Probably not worth the extra.

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
I have a very similar track on my early 70's Twister.
I'm not sure of the dimensions though.
I fitted a Barton traveller and it has a sprung plunger to hold in position.

Although your traveller body is deeper than the Barton ones it may still fit the top profile o.k.
Worth taking a look at their website, as they do travellers for a 24mm width track
http://www.bartonmarine.com/

'I' SPECIFICATIONS
Track Dimensions :
Height: "H" 28mm
Width: "W" 24mm
Width: "X" 16mm
Fastening Dia: 5mm
Fastening Centres: 100mm
Plunger Centres: 50mm
Weigth: 721gms per mtr
sorry couldn't do a c.c of diagram to post too.

best of luck
S.

Last edited:

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
I need to get a new traveller but I can't seem to find the right one. The track is not listed by any of the main suppliers. I was hoping to be able to buy a new traveller but if I can't match it I will be looking at new track as well, not cheap. Its 20 years old on a Victoria 30

Have you been in contact with / joined the Victoria Shadow Association? I am sure someone there would be able to help. Your track, but not the car, look quite similar to Jumblie's, but I can't check for sure until I'm next on board, next week some time. In general Victoria seem to have had a habit of using very high quality and very expensive equipment from companies that didn't survive ...

zeds

Visit site
Had to go down this route a few years ago. Almost positive same track - Lewmar - and not made since about 1997. Tried many of suggestions in these posts without success. My need was just for a track stopper and a forum member generously sent me an old one he was scrapping which is still giving good service. Good luck and lots of patience!!!! and do post if you find replacements that prove appropriate.

Ricd

Visit site

thanks

Colin

Looks identical to the boom track I had on a previous boat with in mast furling. It was a Z spar boom.

cagey

Visit site
www.garhauermarine.com

try these people fabulous kit very good prices. They mention your boat on their home page. Your traveller looks identical to traveller and track I fitted 3 yrs ago.
Heard they may be in probs but the internet is not always very accurate.
Mauri pro stock their kit also check out e-bay as there used to be a distributor on there.
I dealt with them direct by e-mail and phone and found them very helpful. see if they will supply as demonstration kit and save on any customs duty allegedly. Only downside they are in California and shipping is a bit horrible. couldnt find a European agent the one listed never returned contact
Happies
Keith

Last edited:

JAYEL

Visit site
Just replaced the main traveller on my 30yr Trapper 300, same track. Barton Marine down in Whitstable were most helpfull and sent me the traveller by return post. simple!