Can it be saved or is it headed for the skip?

Metalicmike

Visit site
Your lines have pulled it apart, Drill holes through the plastic so that you can run your lines through the space under the top step. You could re enforce it as well with some plastic tube but i dont think it would be necessary.

Refueler

Visit site
Clean it up .... liquid vinyl glue to glue the broken part back into place and to seal the crack on other side.
Drill through the step itself side to side to pass a length of plastic water pipe through ... liquid vinyl again to glue in place and seal. Cut pipe flush to sides.

You now have a double fixing ... securing rope can pass through the water pipe to deck (make it so rope cannot slip through the pipe .. you can still use the original lines to the old repaired and up to deck as well ..

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Cut a hole in the side under the top step and thread some seat belt webbing through and under the top step and used some D loops as the new attachment points.

Cut off the 2 current hanging points so they cannot be used again.

I made some steps like that using seat belt straps and 4 planks of wood with slots cut in the end of each plank for the vertical seat belt straps to locate in and fixed with dowel pins through the seat belt straps

William_H

Visit site
Perhaps replacement is best however for a repair...I would get suitable glue. Nigel suggests liquid vinyl glue. I would get some kevlar tape and firstly satturate a patch of tape with glue and cover the hole. Then user the tape to go though the attaching holes with several wraps to pull the attaching lugs together Again satturate the tape and glue it down to the body.
Or for a real bodge just cover the gap with glue and lash cord many times around between the fixing holes to pull lugs together.
Lastly change the attachment on the boat so there is less force pulling the lugs apart. ol'will

Stemar

Visit site
I wouldn't trust glue - or anything that relied on repairing the tear. A pro might be able to do it, but I certainly wouldn't trust my nearest and dearest on any repair I could make.

I still reckon that the only safe way would be to turn it upside down and tie it round what is now the top step.

Refueler

Visit site
I wouldn't trust glue - or anything that relied on repairing the tear. A pro might be able to do it, but I certainly wouldn't trust my nearest and dearest on any repair I could make.

I still reckon that the only safe way would be to turn it upside down and tie it round what is now the top step.

I would use the glue to seal the item and stop water entering ... certainly not as structural !

Use of the top step as support structure would IMHO serve the purpose ...

PRACTICAL Boat Owner may be rekindled ??