Can I fix this?

galeus

Visit site
This is a photo of my recently aquired Lombardini 1904 diesel engine which has a leak from this joint, which seems to be the neck of the heat exchanger; just underneath the rad.cap.
Any thoughts on how to proceed please

Attachments

• 3785e45e-c179-45dc-bc94-ca3850b2b9e9.jpeg
    3785e45e-c179-45dc-bc94-ca3850b2b9e9.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 77

Freebee

Visit site
probably not if its aluminium tank it wont braze-looks like steel or brass fixed/cast into aluminium.... drain and give a thorough clean followed by abrading the area then use epoxy metal jb weld or similar, but its a bodge.....it may work but best look for a replacement in the meantime!!

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
It looks like a brass collar in the aluminium heat exchanger, it doesn't look as if it's pressurised so you just need to seal the leak.
I would prod and poke around the joint to get as much crud out as you can, clean it all up then run superglue around the joint and finish it off with a collar of chemical metal.
It's a bodge but you have nothing to lose.

nevis768

Visit site
Parts for engines sell a repair kit for the neck of a Volvo heat exchanger, 2030 I think. Might work. It also has a good instruction sheet on line

garymalmgren

Visit site
RE: Can I fix this? The answer is Yes.
But how is the problem.
How is the (brass) filler neck fitted to the (aluminum) heat exchanger body?

Is it
press fitted
Chemically bonded
brazed or some other welding technique
Or is there a thread on neck fitting that allows it to screw into the exchanger?

The reason that I ask, is that to fix it properly it will need to be removed and both surfaces thoroughly cleaned.
Then you can look at how you will reattach it.

Roger's # 8 selection of necks will give you the options for attaching a new neck which would be the best way to go.

gary

galeus

Visit site
Thanks all for your collective thoughts and good suggestions. Ideally I would like to remove the filler neck as roger has done, but it could be a can of worms if more than the collar come out as we don't know how it is fixed through the heat exchanger. If it is anything else other than a screw thread how do I fix the new one in. The welding rods that PCUK suggests is interesting, I have some Bakers soldering fluid (acid I think) which could help clean in the crack, but I've no experience but could try a practice on some bits. The glue/epoxy suggestions all have their merits and I think faced with no alternatives would probably work. Which way to go is the question. I'm getting lifted out today, so not under pressure but needs doing.

galeus

Visit site
As you are in the UK you could get an aluminum neck as in my post and take it to a radiator repair place as see if thy could aluminum weld the new neck onto your heat exchanger.

If I was to do it again that how I would do it.

radiator repair ipswich - Bing
As this is a new to me engine ( just had it fitted, but it's not new) I'm scared to remove the heat exchanger which looks quite different to a Bowman freestanding part. It is or looks quite integrated to the engine block, probably not but feeling my way at the moment. You can see on this picture the large flat object is the heat exchanger.

Attachments

• 1728899313112.png
    1728899313112.png
    555.5 KB · Views: 40

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Better to have a picture of the engine

Most marine engines are based on road or industrial engines, so the heat exchanger is a separate bolt on unit

On my boat I had in the UK was a ford petrol that had a heat exchanger/ exhaust manifold the was boyed on where the car exhaust manifold bolted.

My Perkins has a similar arrangement where my Leyland has a bowman bolted to the front of the engine and rubber pipes to convey the coolant raw water and fresh water around the engine.

You can get a manual

Manual Lombardini LDW 1603 M Boat Engine

Beneteau381

Visit site
This is a photo of my recently aquired Lombardini 1904 diesel engine which has a leak from this joint, which seems to be the neck of the heat exchanger; just underneath the rad.cap.
Any thoughts on how to proceed please
It is possible to buy aluminium rad cap necks as others have said, P4E do one. Weld the neck to an Ali square then weld that to the ali heat exchanger. A mate of mine in Portugal used a car radiator repairer to do it.

galeus

Visit site
It is possible to buy aluminium rad cap necks as others have said, P4E do one. Weld the neck to an Ali square then weld that to the ali heat exchanger. A mate of mine in Portugal used a car radiator repairer to do it.
Yes you can buy aluminium necks, I'm guessing the heatexchanger is an alloy, which apparently can be welded; it means removing the heat exchanger, something at present I'm loathe to do.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
It may be able to find a mobile welder who could come to your boat and weld an aluminum neck onto your engine without removing the setup

Someone with a MIG / argon welder could do the job.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Yes you can buy aluminium necks, I'm guessing the heatexchanger is an alloy, which apparently can be welded; it means removing the heat exchanger, something at present I'm loathe to do.
Ive seen it done first hand, it works. To do a proper job you need to remove the manifold.