Cambridge rowing team

bedouin

Visit site
Cambridge rowing team approx 80 people are wintering in Galicia to train ,good weather,good food and accomodation for 80 team members
If the entire team is there then that is 6 boats all with 8 rowers and a cox - that is 54 people to start with.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
To be seen practicing was a very poor show in amateur sport in Britain. Also, it was more important to look good doing it with style irrespective of winning anything.

Then those damn American colonists came along , with nothing to live up to , they actually were seen practicing for things and beat us at everything. Bounders :) .

Praxinoscope

Visit site
To be seen practicing was a very poor show in amateur sport in Britain. Also, it was more important to look good doing it with style irrespective of winning anything.

Then those damn American colonists came along , with nothing to live up to , they actually were seen practicing for things and beat us at everything. Bounders :) .

Obviously a fan of Flanders and Swann….

’And all the World over, each nations the same,
They’ve simply no notion of playing the game,
They argue with umpires and cheer when they’ve won
And practice beforehand, which ruins the fun!’

Last edited:

jdc

Visit site
Many universities and pretty much all of the Cambridge and Oxford colleges send their top few eights to some training camp in January. Ditto quite a few 'town' clubs. Banjoles in Spain make a business out of this. The college I know most about went to Hungary last week (as they wanted a change from Annecy where they usually go).

It's not unusual and rather a non-story: one wouldn't think it odd for a golfer to go and do a spot of practice over the winter in, say, the Canaries.

capnsensible

Visit site
Marina Rubicon, for several winters running, is heaving with international dinghy and windsurfing teams practicing and racing. The support staff for these top competitors is in big numbers. The local villa rental business is booming.

WoodyP

Visit site
I was involved with the Cambridge boat club at Ely when they built their new boathouse which caused a considerable stink when they got planning with the support of the local rowing club who were promised help. Once they had the permission they didn't want to know the locals. A snobby entitled lot.

Wansworth

Visit site
Many universities and pretty much all of the Cambridge and Oxford colleges send their top few eights to some training camp in January. Ditto quite a few 'town' clubs. Banjoles in Spain make a business out of this. The college I know most about went to Hungary last week (as they wanted a change from Annecy where they usually go).

It's not unusual and rather a non-story: one wouldn't think it odd for a golfer to go and do a spot of practice over the winter in, say, the Canaries.
Galicia is poor regionin Spain any important events is newsworthy?

jdc

Visit site
I don't do golf - I haven't the patience or skill - and my rowing is sadly no longer in Cambridge but mostly on the Fowey (where it rarely feels like Spain; tomorrow's outing will be gusting 29kts and 5°C).

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
This seems a very sensible plan. It will avoid this sort of thing:

I still picture the scene - in the half light of a January dawn. We had broken the cat ice to get the college first boat into the water. I was the cox. All went as well as might be expected (and we were quite good) until, on our way back to our boathouse, when we were just below the iron bridge, we heard the not unexpected cry of “Blue boat!”, which meant of course that we had to pull over to the non-towpath bank and give them a clear path.

I did so, but my un-breakfasted and cold brain had failed to process the information, well known to me and to every other college level cox who was even halfway competent, that just below the iron bridge on the green side there was a submerged wooden stake with its tip just below the surface.

I managed to puncture a rather expensive new shell eight. And aye the Cam came in. Lacking a web o’the silken claith, lacking indeed a bailer, all we could do was try to pull for the college boat house before we sank. We got there just as we did sink.

It was thought good by eight large fit young men with wet feet and shorts to throw the cox into the river. And this was done…