Calorifier connections - Adding Bobil heat exchanger

catlotion

Visit site
I'm in the process of plumbing in a Bobil heat exchanger to my existing calorifier (Bavaria 30 Cruiser) but a bit puzzled by the existing cold water connections. There are two cold water connections at the bottom of the calorifier with the PRV. I need to tee into this to add the heat exchanger loop but not sure how best to do it.

Any ideas please? sorry about the rubbish photos. It's the brass block at the bottom...

20230723_185015.jpg20230723_185033.jpg

catlotion

Visit site
Ah-ha! makes sense! Haven't had a chance to check where the pipes run... Always tricky doing these projects when you're not there often...

The PRV weeped a bit before and it came out of the red cap so I assumed that's where it dumped the water...

Last edited:

wingcommander

Visit site
The Bobil is a direct feed water heat exchanger connected to your existing Chinaspacer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230212-213200_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230212-213200_Drive.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 19

catlotion

Visit site
The Bobil is a direct feed water heat exchanger connected to your existing Chinaspacer.

that's the one. I still haven't got it plumbed in yet but getting there. Have you made yours more permanent yet? Any more feedback on how effective it's been?

Also working on my air duct flap automation project (didn't want to rely on a manual switchover) - but that's another story...

wingcommander

Visit site
Seems that you can get the Chinaspacer combined unit also now. My installation is still as was, I do need to increase the diameter of the Bobil supplied connection tee's and non return valve as I notice a flow reduction in the hot .The domestic pump changes tone and sounds too work harder .I realise the Bobil unit itself will add to this, but the main restriction are the fittings.. My change over flap is manual, around 20 min is normally all that's required, then turn off heater , flip the flap to remove residual heat from the unit then switch off the mini Bobil pump. You can usually hear this running if you forget.

catlotion

Visit site
Seems that you can get the Chinaspacer combined unit also now. My installation is still as was, I do need to increase the diameter of the Bobil supplied connection tee's and non return valve as I notice a flow reduction in the hot .The domestic pump changes tone and sounds too work harder .I realise the Bobil unit itself will add to this, but the main restriction are the fittings.. My change over flap is manual, around 20 min is normally all that's required, then turn off heater , flip the flap to remove residual heat from the unit then switch off the mini Bobil pump. You can usually hear this running if you forget.
Thanks. Interesting. I was also concerned about small pipes. Have added quite a bit of 15mm push fit to my design but there's still this bit with the one way valves. Might swap for bigger then...

20230907_161156.jpg