Calorifer

Des22

Visit site
Hi, I have stupidly installed a new water pump for basin and shower, which is 11 lts per minute, the old one was 8.7 lts per minute. Now my calorifier is spitting a significant spurts of water out of the TPRV every time I turn on the cold tap and engage the pump, the calorifier is not switched on. Have I overdone the presure please. Thankyou🙏

Plum

Visit site
Hi, I have stupidly installed a new water pump for basin and shower, which is 11 lts per minute, the old one was 8.7 lts per minute. Now my calorifier is spitting a significant spurts of water out of the TPRV every time I turn on the cold tap and engage the pump, the calorifier is not switched on. Have I overdone the presure please. Thankyou🙏
Hello. You quote the pump flow rate, which is irrelevant. What is the pump cutoff pressure? And what is the pressure relief setting on the TPRV?

wingcommander

Visit site
As Plum states, the pump my have its own built-in preasure reducing/ increase. , usually an adjusting screw . It appears be set too high for the tprv. Though I would have thought the prv would continually run until empty if it was set high

Edit .. butties were ready .......

Last edited:

Des22

Visit site
Hello. You quote the pump flow rate, which is irrelevant. What is the pump cutoff pressure? And what is the pressure relief setting on the TPRV?
  • 11 litres/minute (2.4 gallons/minute) open flow
  • PRESSURE SWITCH - cuts in at 1.0bar (15psi) - cuts out at 1.7bar (25ps
  • Thanks for replying, I dont know the TPRV setting, there is no name on the calorifier

Des22

Visit site
As Plum states, the pump my have its own built-in preasure reducing/ increase. , usually an adjusting screw . It appears be set too high for the tprv. Though I would have thought the prv would continually run until empty if it was set high

Edit .. butties were ready .......
Hi, and thanks for replying, Ive looked, no adjustable pressure adjuster listed in the specs, If its too much presure when filled with cold water, imagine what would happen if I switched on the heating element..

Des22

Visit site
Over time the prv in calorifiers can become less effective because of carbonate salt deposits. Before upgrading it, strip and clean it.
Thanks, I didnt know I could replace it with a higher rating one, I didnt even know they were exchangeable, but thanks for the info, I will look into that rather than buy and fit a new pump?, do you think the 30% ish bar increase from the origional pump might be too much for the calorifier if it is blowing the TPRV. Thanks for your time

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Thanks, I didnt know I could replace it with a higher rating one, I didnt even know they were exchangeable, but thanks for the info, I will look into that rather than buy and fit a new pump?, do you think the 30% ish bar increase from the origional pump might be too much for the calorifier if it is blowing the TPRV. Thanks for your time
Yes, but it depends on the make of your calorifier as they differ according to manufacturer. You will need to look at your maker's information. As has been said, it may be easier to reduce the pressure delivered by the pump but clean the prv first anyway.