Calor 4.5k cylinder

Cantata

Visit site
If you can find your nearest Calor depot, and take your empty there, legend has it that they will refill it, IF they are are happy with its condition.

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
I’m not so sure that they do! I’m sure that when you look at Calor’s website and their distribution centres, it advises that all are closed to the public. Might be wrong.

Greg2

Visit site
Having previously announced the discontinuance of the 4.5kg bottles Calor then said that they would be phased out over a longer period so they should, in theory, be available. In reality it appears that nothing has changed and they can’t be found anywhere. We routinely look wherever we go and it is always the same answer.

We dropped lucky last year when we called in at a campsite in Derbyshire we were passing and they had two in the cage (we had resorted to always having the empty one in the car and stopping every time we saw a Calor sign! Since then nothing.

derryconbill

Visit site
We have the same problem in the West of Ireland, so I fill my own from a larger bottle, This is how.
you need to do this outside and NO smoking
you require a large bottle of Butane, a hose to connect the 2 bottles together, and weighing scales that will weigh the empty bottle that you need to fill ( I use old mechanical ones they don't turn off)
Make sure your 4.5kg is empty, turn it upside down and open the valve this will exhaust any gas and water that may be in the bottle, close the valve, stand the bottle on the scales and put on the hose connector, now connect the large bottle you can use a regulator to couple the hose on, you now have 2 bottles joined together? turn the large bottle upside down on a box so it's higher than the bottle you are filling, turn on the large bottle then turn on the small one, the gas will now run from one to the other in liquid form watch the scales and only put in about 4 kg DO NOT OVERFILL,
This sounds more complicated than it is, Im not recommending you do it, that is at your own risk.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Try Fram Farmers in Framlingham, they sometimes have some stock - certainly a year ago when I had a faulty 4.5kg and they exchanged it. You'll just have to ring around, certainly around Eye/Diss they were like gold dust. My local garage hasn't had any since before the pandemic.

Never Grumble

Visit site
Having previously announced the discontinuance of the 4.5kg bottles Calor then said that they would be phased out over a longer period so they should, in theory, be available. In reality it appears that nothing has changed and they can’t be found anywhere. We routinely look wherever we go and it is always the same answer.

We dropped lucky last year when we called in at a campsite in Derbyshire we were passing and they had two in the cage (we had resorted to always having the empty one in the car and stopping every time we saw a Calor sign! Since then nothing.
The reality wasn't as good as Calor's publicity. The only place they said they would be available was from one of their distribution centres, to phone up to check availability and pay, and then go and collect. I read someone had tried to do this and had no joy with the local dist centre. I'm afraid they never said they would be available elsewhere.

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site
If you can find your nearest Calor depot, and take your empty there, legend has it that they will refill it, IF they are are happy with its condition.

I’m not so sure that they do! I’m sure that when you look at Calor’s website and their distribution centres, it advises that all are closed to the public. Might be wrong.

Saw the attached on another website.

Update: Calor to phase out supply of 3.9kg propane and 4.5kg butane small cylinders

bromleybysea

Visit site
That's really bad news. I'm starting my extended summer cruise in a week and I've just changed gas bottles so I'm down one full one and an empty. Calor says on their website that they'll exchange at the distribution centre but it looks like no one has been able to do so. I'll try and get through to them in the morning but I gather that is difficult in itself. N I'll put the empty in the back of the car and try everywhere I can. My gas locker is built to accommodate two Calor 4.5 bottles and is a very tight fit. Seems to be an extraordinary way to treat customers.

danieleither

Visit site
I've struggled, but managed to find them by calling around various depots. The last time I think I went through 7 or 8 different places, all of which had none then the next place I called had 5 in stock, so I bought 3. In hindsight I wish I'd bought all 5 - but anyway just try calling around until you find somewhere that still has some.

rwt

Visit site
I don't know - what with Calor Gas, Mikuni Heaters, Origo Stoves - and have you tried to buy one of those Moorfast mooring aid things lately, someone, somewhere, wants us to take up a different sport.

Greg2

Visit site
I thought I might switch to Flogas but I wanted to measure one of their bottles myself. Looks like Flogas 4.5 butane bottles are equally hard to get hold of-they're not supplying unless you already have one to exchange.
Dimensions I have seen are identical. I have also actually measured and they seem about right but measuring a gas bottle accurately is tricky 😉

Boo2

Visit site
I thought I might switch to Flogas but I wanted to measure one of their bottles myself. Looks like Flogas 4.5 butane bottles are equally hard to get hold of-they're not supplying unless you already have one to exchange.
I suppose Flogas will eventually take over the small bottle market entirely though ? Have they amde any public announcements about the future ?

Boo2

bromleybysea

Visit site
Found a source of 4.5 Calor bottles. Muchos Gasious on eBay. Seems to be based in Harwich. In the end, we arranged to meet in a pub car park off the A12 as I was on my way home. I bought two full bottles from him. Let's hope they really do contain gas!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Found a source of 4.5 Calor bottles. Muchos Gasious on eBay. Seems to be based in Harwich. In the end, we arranged to meet in a pub car park off the A12 as I was on my way home. I bought two full bottles from him. Let's hope they really do contain gas!
If you know how much a full bottle weighs and you don’t mind propane I probably got enough to fill you bottle at a small cost of the gas but it has to be before Friday , you have to bring bottle to me tho ,near Woodbridge
edit
should had read your posting closely , see you got your refill

waynes world

Visit site
Or go wit 6/7kg and carry them off the transom.

Dimensions I have seen are identical. I have also actually measured and they seem about right but measuring a gas bottle accurately is tricky 😉
thats easy enough, use either tape measure or string to get the circumferance and divide by 3.14.