Calor 4.5 Butane and 3.5 Propane to be discontinued

Jim@sea

Visit site
Considering that when people got the Calor Gas Bottles in the first place they may have paid a £20 deposit and considering that say over a 20 year period the bottle will have been exchanged many times Calor should be forced to buy back the gas bottles for £20 and it would be unreasonable to expect the customer to have kept the agreement over 20 years.
Perhaps Calor are short of money and cant afford to replace metal gas containers with an expected life span of say 30 years before they rust from the inside out.

VicS

Visit site
Morriston I think have said that they are going to stop supplying lpg soon.
From the MyLPG website
"July 2022 - Morrison's won't allow filling of Gaslow bottles, only Safefill ones. "​

but from a Google search

"Will Morrisons stop selling LPG?​
The company plans to remove auto-LPG from all its forecourts by 2024. MFG had to announce its plans through the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) because of the preliminary investigation by the CMA into the purchase of Morrisons Supermarkets and forecourts by MFG's US private equity owners. 6 Apr 2022."​

Last edited:

Whaup367

Visit site
They say that now, but may very well change their mind if enough people swap over, which was the point of my gas rage thread. The reason we're in this mess is lack of demand for an alternative to Calor. Once they get 20 people a week asking they'll have a good business case to stock them.

Out of interest, have you (anyone?) heard any reassurance from FloGas that they will be able to cope with an increase in demand? There seem to be a fair number of recommendations across boating/camping/caravanning etc to adopt their 4.5s (and a few outlets saying they won't carry them)... it looks like there could be a big increase in demand for a product that they might(??) carry more for customer convenience than as a major product line.

lustyd

Visit site
Out of interest, have you (anyone?) heard any reassurance from FloGas that they will be able to cope with an increase in demand? There seem to be a fair number of recommendations across boating/camping/caravanning etc to adopt their 4.5s (and a few outlets saying they won't carry them)... it looks like there could be a big increase in demand for a product that they might(??) carry more for customer convenience than as a major product line.
Nope. But I feel more confident given their willingness to refill at the depot. Calor cut off all ties with customers so there was no way to get a cylinder filled even if you had one. If demand increases enough I imagine they could just make a deal and take in Calor empties. I have two that Calor will never get back without paying me my money back and a pretty big apology. They seem to have no intention of doing either

StefanSG

Visit site
You will need a 21.8 mm LH to M20 cylinder adapter for your 4.5kg butane cylinder
A 21mm clip on to M20 cylinder adapter for your 15kg cylinder
View attachment 150330
Hi Vic, the parts arrived from Haywards and that should all work perfect, thanks. One minor suggestion is that there is another style of 21mm clip on to M20 where the hose comes out horizontally rather than vertically, to make inverting the bottle easier, I see there are some versions which specify “non-return” as well (which this one from Haywards is).

SSG

VicS

Visit site
Hi Vic, the parts arrived from Haywards and that should all work perfect, thanks. One minor suggestion is that there is another style of 21mm clip on to M20 where the hose comes out horizontally rather than vertically, to make inverting the bottle easier, I see there are some versions which specify “non-return” as well (which this one from Haywards is).

SSG
Thanks for the feed back and the additional information.

superheat6k

Visit site
I've put together my Campingaz cylinder refill kit. I have two onboard Billy Ruffian and this small 907 is the only size that will fit the gas stowage on the flybridge.

Empty 15kg Calor butane (blue) cylinder
Clip on adaptor to W21 male thread (standard 4.5 kg Butane bottle thread)
Adaptors W21 Female to POL female x 2
35" POL to POL (males) hose
Campingaz bottle valve to W21 male thread

Total £61 plus the gas refill cost £62

That will provide me at least 4 refills, plus the large 15kg will also run the BBQ via the clip on adaptor to the original 4.5kg regulator throughout the Summer. Future refills will cost ~ £12 each.

West Coast

Visit site
Been following this thread, thanks all for the various info and advice. I have the 4.5kg calor cylinder on my awb, and am based on Scotland west coast, so noted the flogas availablilty comments.

however, this summer am planning to head to France ( Brittany) for 2 months, and looking onine, seems flogas is not available in France - can anyone confirm this or otherwise?

cheers.

lustyd

Visit site
Calor isn’t available in France and hasn’t been available in the UK since well before Covid.
No, FloGas isn’t available in France, but you can at least buy some before you go. If you’ll be there a while get a 21mm bottle from one of their suppliers or switch to Campingaz which while expensive here is less so there.

StefanSG

Visit site
If anyone is interested I just picked up 2 x 4.5kg Butane in West London, if you have two empties, there are currently two left. PM me for the address

SSG

phillcoops

Visit site
Apologies if someone has already said this, FLOGAS 4.5kg are NOT the same size as Calor 4.5kg. Evidenced by an entire day with a Dremel and epoxy yesterday! I got ahead of the game and got 2 FLOGAS bottles a fortnight ago off the back of the FLOGAS website measurements. They state, “the bottles may vary in height and width”. The ones that are the same height as the Calor are MUCH wider and the ones which are the same diameter are MUCH taller. There may be a third type which is the same size but I have not yet found any. Apparently the short “wide” ones are the most common at retail,suppliers. It broke my heart having to adjust my custom made locker. Good luck to you all sorting out your alternative solution, and a heartfelt “shame on Calor”!

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
Apologies if someone has already said this, FLOGAS 4.5kg are NOT the same size as Calor 4.5kg. Evidenced by an entire day with a Dremel and epoxy yesterday! I got ahead of the game and got 2 FLOGAS bottles a fortnight ago off the back of the FLOGAS website measurements. They state, “the bottles may vary in height and width”. The ones that are the same height as the Calor are MUCH wider and the ones which are the same diameter are MUCH taller. There may be a third type which is the same size but I have not yet found any. Apparently the short “wide” ones are the most common at retail,suppliers. It broke my heart having to adjust my custom made locker. Good luck to you all sorting out your alternative solution, and a heartfelt “shame on Calor”!

Any photos would be greatly appreciated.

Also, do you have the maximum height, and maximum width.

snowbird30ds

Norfolk broads based, coast when time allows.
Visit site
Butane or propane?

phillcoops

Visit site
Butane. Second phot is after a day with the dremel. And the two “same size” bottles I got had a different size weld in the middle which made them fractionally different. I note someone above had found bottles the same as the Calor.

Attachments

• C338AA77-A7C8-4EB6-81A2-89292FA262F0.jpeg
    C338AA77-A7C8-4EB6-81A2-89292FA262F0.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47

phillcoops

Visit site
Any photos would be greatly appreciated.

Also, do you have the maximum height, and maximum width.
The height of mine are the same as the Calor but they are ~27.5cm wide including the weld around the middle. I’ve popped my camping and calor back in to use it up. My “dumpy” 4.5kg bottles will now fit perfectly through the expanded aperture of my locker.

Attachments

• 667777EA-C54C-4E4B-BCAD-48BF44AFFF20.jpeg
    667777EA-C54C-4E4B-BCAD-48BF44AFFF20.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19

Pete7

Visit site
however, this summer am planning to head to France ( Brittany) for 2 months, and looking onine, seems flogas is not available in France - can anyone confirm this or otherwise?
cheers.

I would be tempted to go to France with the Calor gas cylinder but leave it there and come back with as many Camping Gaz cylinders as you can carry plus some in the anchor locker. Likely to be a valuable currency on the West Coast for a while.