Calor 4.5 Butane and 3.5 Propane to be discontinued

lustyd

Visit site
Flogas do the same.
Yes I assumed they would. RYA should be pushing for that to be illegal contract terms. In France everywhere I went seemed to carry all the suppliers in all sizes. The Brits don't do ourselves any favours

stuartwineberg

Visit site
This thread is getting very long but has anyone actually got a 4.5 flogas and can measure overall height, width and base diameter for us. Please don’t repost the flogas specs from their site I don’t think it gives base diameter

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
The gas locker on my Westerly Griffon is 350mm high, so a 340mm FlowGas bottle may fit, but the 'approx' on their web site concerns me.

On the plus side, I managed to get a second full Calor 4.5 today so now have a couple of years supply and time to see how the issue pans out. I may even look at refilling myself...

Also my local stockest (Dorset) has 1 full 4.5 left. If anyone wants the details PM me...

Shanty

Visit site
This thread is getting very long but has anyone actually got a 4.5 flogas and can measure overall height, width and base diameter for us. Please don’t repost the flogas specs from their site I don’t think it gives base diameter
Picked up a FloGas 4.5kg butane cylinder yesterday. Its yellow in colour, 240mm diameter and 371mm high. The base is the same diameter as the body. It looks like the later version of the Calor gas cylinder, and takes a 21mm snap on connection.

Also on offer was a blue version that looks like the original Calor Gas bottle. It takes a 20mm connector. I'm told by FloGas that this version is being phased out, so decided to ignore it.

lustyd

Visit site
Their website says that as they phase out the 20mm one the bottles will be repurposed as yellow 21mm bottles so it'll probably be fairly random going forwards.

StefanSG

Visit site
I want to fill my 4.5kg butane cylinder (POL screw on connector) from a 15kg Calor Butane cylinder (21mm clip on connection). What straight through pigtail do I need as I can’t find a direct connector (I have already bought a straight through POL pigtail but realised it won’t go on the 15kg/7kg)
Any pointers

SSG

Steve_N

Visit site
I want to fill my 4.5kg butane cylinder (POL screw on connector) from a 15kg Calor Butane cylinder (21mm clip on connection). What straight through pigtail do I need as I can’t find a direct connector (I have already bought a straight through POL pigtail but realised it won’t go on the 15kg/7kg)
Any pointers

SSG

Your terminology is confusing because a 4.5kg butane cylinder doesn't use a POL connector, rather a 21.8LH butane nut - it's propane cylinders that use POL connectors. A 'straight through POL pigtail' would look like this picture and it doesn't sound like that's what you have. Maybe a picture of what you have and then we can help?

Capture.JPG

Daverw

Visit site
Any pointers

SSG
I bought two pig tails then when to hydraulic trade counter and bought a threaded straight connector, I think they said it was M20 threaded but they will know. They just used the relevant bottle adapter for 15kg bottle and straight onto the 4.5kg

VicS

Visit site
Any pointers

SSG
POL connectors are used on propane cylinders
The valve on your 4.5kg butane cylinder has a 21.8mm LH thread

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
POL connectors are used on propane cylinders
The valve on your 4.5kg butane cylinder has a 21.8mm LH thread
You will need a 21.8 mm LH to M20 cylinder adapter for your 4.5kg butane cylinder
A 21mm clip on to M20 cylinder adapter for your 15kg cylinder
and a hose with W20 nuts on both ends
These are
Part numbers 4012, 4014 and 4017 respectively from Will Hayward All Products | Whayward
1675117803827.png 1675117847349.png 1675117926884.png

Last edited:

TSB240

Visit site
Yesterday I had the pleasure of returning my calor butane cylinder.

This can be exchanged for free with a smaller camping gaz cylinder filled by calor and costing twice the amount per k/cal.

That's fine if you only gas up for a cuppa usefull if you are only a marina hoppa.
You will of course need to buy a brand new regulator.

If you go to return your cylinder you must have proof of purchase certificate of said cylinder. Sadly long gone in our 23 year old boat paperwork trail.
They will gleefully accept for no charge your old cylinde for those thinking of a cashback return.

I spend more time as off shore at anchor rather than a marina queen.

I have decided I will get more bang for my buck than with butane.

I decided to visit my local flogas store given the taller calor clip on butane cylinders are 5mm too tall for my locker.
He loaned me at no charge two different sizes of propane bottles both the same height. I am sure his own eyes had built in number plate and facial recognition!

The larger diameter bottle fitted in our 40cc French floating caravan made by Bendytoy in 1999. Having removed the spacers and replaced with thin rubber stucky tape.

The smaller bottle rattled around just like the old calor butane cylinder did inside the old spacers.

I was forced to buy a new propane regulator, there are two options. One needs a spanner the other has a strong built in hand fastener.

I believe you can take these cylinders to any garage lpg pump for a safe refill but have yet to test theory

The larger diameter units are commonly used on fork trucks so are unlikely to be suddenly unavailable.

I hope my pbo experience clears the muddy waters for others.

PS
A final bonus is that the heavier bottles now make the bendy toy float on an even keel. Our unmodified side deck locker location is on the opposite side to the salon seating.

Last edited:

StefanSG

Visit site

bikedaft

Visit site
You will need a 21.8 mm LH to M20 cylinder adapter for your 4.5kg butane cylinder

A 21mm clip on to M20 cylinder adapter for your 15kg cylinder

and a hose with W20 nuts on both ends

These are

Part numbers 4012, 4014 and 4017 respectively from Will Hayward All Products | Whayward

Thanks!

oldgit

Visit site
Popped into a supplier of both Flowgas and Calor on the Isle of Sheppey yesterday for some advice. One of three outlets on the island and probably the biggest in terms of volume.
Cages wedged full of brightly coloured bottles and a truck returning from delivering LPG to the large numbers of residential static vans occupied 365 days of the year, summer invasion of caravans and mobile homes might double their trade.
The question. ?
"Whats the most sensible way of replacing the Calor 4.5 and 3.9 K bottles and not having to worry again in the near future."
Not that bothered about cost of coughing up for a new contact or swapping Propane/Butane but the Devil will Ice Skate to Work before going down the 907 route.
Was handed a note, told to ring FloGas, sign a new agreement and by the way we will not be stocking the the small FloGas bottle but might order one in for you .

lustyd

Visit site
we will not be stocking the the small FloGas bottle but might order one in
They say that now, but may very well change their mind if enough people swap over, which was the point of my gas rage thread. The reason we're in this mess is lack of demand for an alternative to Calor. Once they get 20 people a week asking they'll have a good business case to stock them.