Called to Yacht Harbour .... boat moving about !

William_H

Visit site
Hello Clive welcome to the problems of a marina now boat is launched. I hope it is ok today in horrible winds over night. It occurred to me to warn you about a problem in our little marina where sail boats are moored next to one another. The swell can cause boats to rock and masts often clash together. A problem that only occurs occasionally but horribnkle when it happens. The answer is to make sure masts of boats on either side are not level. Often reversing your boat into pen or just mooring further forward or aft can help. ol'will

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Hi William. I don't have any shots of Helen fully rigged in her Two Rocks pen. But I think this photo will indicate I won't have any masts clashing with mine.

When you say "I hope it is ok today in horrible winds over night." Well I hope so too. Presumably I would have had a phone call if anything was untoward. (I'll be at Two Rocks Marina tomorrow installing water tanks now that I have sealed the ballast with fiberglass)

I said I didn't have a photo of Helen fully rigged in her pen at Two Rocks. But I have. :D (The photo was taken from the Two Rocks Marina Restaurant). Helen is closest to the camera

_IGP7557 JPG.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 13-23-54 Facebook.png

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
Yachts too long for the finger are commonly moored on the 'hammerhead' (is that the name?) on the outside of the walkway and thus using 2 fingers and the width of the walkway. From your picture it is impossible to see what is on the port side of your yacht - except there is certainly no vessel.

She's outermost boat ... no mooring possible outside of her.

The alternative to mooring along a finger - is to use an inside finger and then nose up to the walkway down onto the pontoon ... put out rope from each 1/4 ... one to the finger - other to the wall ...

Problem is the wall is high and boats that have done it - have chafed the wall line quickly even with protection ...

We can sit boat between two fingers with ropes out to each - the MoBo's do it - but its frowned on and frequent requests to open up adjacent space due other boats need mooring.

Next season - we will be discussing with marina boss to get best solution ....

The bows on Baltic moor - we accept to leave clear for visitors .. the pontoons are on occasion not full - so its possible I can press for sitting between two fingers ....

I am paying for TWO boats in there ...

Refueler

Visit site
Hello Clive welcome to the problems of a marina now boat is launched. I hope it is ok today in horrible winds over night. It occurred to me to warn you about a problem in our little marina where sail boats are moored next to one another. The swell can cause boats to rock and masts often clash together. A problem that only occurs occasionally but horribnkle when it happens. The answer is to make sure masts of boats on either side are not level. Often reversing your boat into pen or just mooring further forward or aft can help. ol'will

Rafting has same problem ... so I would normally bow to stern raft - so masts are not in conflict.

capnsensible

Visit site
Could the harbour drop a mooring somewhere sternward that you could then tie your stern to, so that you're not relying on the short finger to stop the hull yawing?
Good idea, whenever I've been in places like that with little tide, there has been a post or a secure mooring buoy on a big lump of concrete to secure the bow or stern as appropriate.

Refueler

Visit site
Have tentative agreement to centre boat between two fingers .....

Basically - local boats are few and what there are - most are smaller mobos. Large boats tend to be visitors and use the bow to Baltic Moor ....

It is not possible to agree any kedge .... that would create a mess with other berths.

Refueler

Visit site
Good idea, whenever I've been in places like that with little tide, there has been a post or a secure mooring buoy on a big lump of concrete to secure the bow or stern as appropriate.

If I was to think of doing that - I may as well accept Baltic moor as she has been for last few days ...

qAf1N26l.jpg

Neeves

Visit site
If I was to think of doing that - I may as well accept Baltic moor as she has been for last few days ...

qAf1N26l.jpg
With a bow passerelle (spelling?) it seems a good option, no neighbours touching - but maybe a bit of a faff to rig - single handed. Baltic moors, as opposed to the pic which is little different to a Med moor, I have seen tend to be single vessels to islands (or rocks) with an anchor off the transom.

What I find slightly odd is that a Baltic or Med moor, as illustrated with the buoys - so no anchors - makes good use of space, is not difficult for a port authority to arrange (and then charge for) but is seldom seen in other locations.

Jonathan

Refueler

Visit site
Neighbours can touch - just depends how many boats are moored.

In theory each buoy can take two boats ... but usually only one. If you look back at picture - you see my pals B31 has fenders out ... and my 38 has fenders out ..

I love the Baltic moor when in the islands ... drop anchor ... motor slowly to the tree / rocks ... bow lines out ... tighten anchor rode ... excellent for short stays / BBQ's on the rocks etc.

O6QKqV5l.jpg

GKNVIagl.jpg

But I am not in favour of long term / home mooring relying on one cleat at stern of yacht ... if you bridle to two cleats - then it can mean boat is more liable to touch / be nuisance to neighbour ....

dunedin

Visit site
What I find slightly odd is that a Baltic or Med moor, as illustrated with the buoys - so no anchors - makes good use of space, is not difficult for a port authority to arrange (and then charge for) but is seldom seen in other locations.
Stern buoys, anchors or slime-lines don’t work well with any significant tide, hence more used in Baltic and Med.