Buying Spanish registered boat

jrudge

Visit site
Alcudia is one of the cheaper marinas. As Pete says do check what is included. You will have to pay light house tax regardless. It is about E1000 for mine. Electric can be dear if not included. Alcudia can be windy - it is the only place on the island offering Kite Surfing!

You will need a rental car so do factor in that cost.

I suspect that the Teeside flight will be seasonal and you want to check the times for viability of a weekend trip. If you are in Palma weekends are fine - its a 10 min cab ride.

I am in Cala Dor which is about 50 mins away plus the time to collect the hire car. so probably 90 mins from when the plane touches down. You will be similar.

Make sure you get the speedy car line ( usually by booking direct) or you could be waiting for hours.

If you have full time jobs and kids do be honest as to how much time you can spend there taking into account seasonal flights. A boat share maybe better if your time is limited. If you get 6 weeks holiday realistically that means no more than 4 weeks on the boat - so it spends 11 months doing nothing and things will need fixing when you get there

jrudge

Visit site
Just looked - flights Tuesday and Saturday.

My view ( having done it for years from London where I have a lot of flights to choose from - less now given Norwegian and Monarch) is the journey is very fixed and subject to airlines keeping the route. You won't be able to do a weekend given you are employed with kids so that leaves you 4 weeks in the summer. You could find it more hassle than it is worth - and all your holidays in effect have to be on Mallorca.

julians

Visit site
Make sure you get the speedy car line ( usually by booking direct) or you could be waiting for hours.

if time is tight there are car hire firms that will let you buy car hire days in bulk, and then deliver the car to the airport multistorey for you for when your flight lands, so you dont have to queue or anything, you just head over to multistorey and drive off as if you left the car there. No queuing, no forms etc, Same goes for on the way back, you just leave the car parked in themultistorey and go, no handing over etc.

I pay something like 1200 euro for 50 days worth of fiat panda car hire, that I call off as and when I need it. and then just top it up when I've used my 50 days, it works well, its just like leaving my own car in the airport multistorey, been doing it for at least 15 years now.

Last edited:

julians

Visit site
You won't be able to do a weekend given you are employed with kids so that leaves you 4 weeks in the summer.

I've got kids in school and a full time job , and whilst I dont spend anywhere near the amount of time you do in majorca, I do manage weekends away no problem. You can do long weekends round any bank hols very easily, plus if your flight times suit you can do friday night to sunday night no problem.

It all relies on flights being frequent and at the right times.

edit : sorry - i see that you mean it wont be possible to do weekends with flights only on tuesdays and saturdays - agree!

Last edited:

Bbroomlea

Visit site
This is all really helpful and useful practical info. Thank you so much for taking time to reply

I’d factored in we could manage around 40 nights a year + a few more if we work from Mallorca for a few days either side. The one benefit of covid is flexi working ! It would tie all of our holidays up for a few years. Currently we usually have 50-60 nights aboard as a mix of weekends and the odd week if the weather is good in the summer (which is not very often)!

I took the winter out on basis of flights being quite difficult. We went out last week but could only do mon to fri or fri to mon from East Midlands or manchester. Both are 2.5hrs away which makes the weekend rather tiring

I did see the bulk buy car hire - certainly looks a good idea. Does it still work well in busy times in the summer?

julians

Visit site
I did see the bulk buy car hire - certainly looks a good idea. Does it still work well in busy times in the summer?

I've never had an issue with it - I go in peak july and august time, plus the late may half term holiday week ( which is IME the most expensive week for flights out of the whole year) ,as well as at other times- I tend to book my flights way in advance to get them cheap, so I tell the car hire company that I need a car at the same time as I book the flights and its been fine.

I suspect you might struggle if you tell them you need a car at the last minute during peak season.

Last edited:

jrudge

Visit site
This is all really helpful and useful practical info. Thank you so much for taking time to reply

I’d factored in we could manage around 40 nights a year + a few more if we work from Mallorca for a few days either side. The one benefit of covid is flexi working ! It would tie all of our holidays up for a few years. Currently we usually have 50-60 nights aboard as a mix of weekends and the odd week if the weather is good in the summer (which is not very often)!

I took the winter out on basis of flights being quite difficult. We went out last week but could only do mon to fri or fri to mon from East Midlands or manchester. Both are 2.5hrs away which makes the weekend rather tiring

Med boating is very different. We were in La Rochelle for years. When we first moved the bot by truck to Barcelona pre crossing to Mallorca I just could not believe we were in shorts and the sea was warm and clear and you could see the bottom. I have never seen the point of a boat in the Uk, so if you do it it is pretty transformational.

If only 40 nights personally I would sell half share in it. It will cost you half the money and the boat will be the better for being used.

Any Mallorca questions just ask. A few of us are based there.