Buying Spanish registered boat

Bbroomlea

Visit site
Hi
I’d really appreciate some help. I’m trying to navigate myself around post brexit registration and tax liabilities of buying a Spanish registered/flagged boat and keeping it in Mallorca. The boat in question was sold by Sealine Mallorca originally to a Spanish resident and has stayed there ever since. Originally sold in 2000 new, changed hands in 2004 and then sold to the original supplying dealer in 2021.

so far from the broker I have managed to obtain:
- an invoice from 2004 noting IVA paid but doesn’t say how much. . boat was originally sold in 2000
- Navigation certificate for category B allowing me 60 miles off shore expiring in 2026
- Registro Maritimo certificate which is Lista 7 which I think means pleasure use registered On Spanish register.

I am told that the 12% matriculation tax is paid too but no evidence yet

are there any other tax liabilities such as ITP that I need to be aware of? Or is that the tax I have to pay when I notify their ships register of my details.

Finally, I’m guessing I cannot deregister in Spain and register on SSR?

wondering if it might be easier to abandon the idea and keep the one I have in the UK!

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I’m guessing you are not a Spanish resident or pay tax in Spain
If you are read no further
I think it’s quite straightforward
Just get it deregistered (which may not be that simple because it deprives the Spanish taxman of the 12% he gets every year and he will be on the look out for fraud)
Then a simple SSR registration
You have EUVAT so you can’t bring it back to the UK (unless you pay 20% tax/import duty)
Make sure all the tax due from the owner is paid or you may be liable.
Await comments from others to verify my thoughts.

Last edited:

Bbroomlea

Visit site
Just get it deregistered (which may not be that simple because it deprives the Spanish taxman of the 12% he gets every year and he will be on the look out for fraud)
You have EUVAT so you can’t bring it back to the UK (unless you pay 20% tax/import duty)
Thanks. No definitely on Boris tax book here in the UK ?

so it really is as simple as deregistering the Spanish flag and putting it on SSR?

I guess I would still Need a better proof of IVA/VAT than an invoice to the second owner just saying IVA paid?

I don’t think I’ll go ahead unless they can show me the first bill of sale.

dpb

Visit site
Make sure all the tax due from the owner is paid or you may be liable.

This was the case in France when we bought last year. It was simple to do.

DavidJ

Visit site
The Spanish registration is more like our part 1 registration (not like our SSR which is only to keep foreign authorities happy)
So proof of EUVAT paid should be part of that registration documentation. They probably couldn’t get it registered without it.

kashurst

Visit site
The Spanish boat register records VAT (IVA) payments in their database. So the Existing Spanish registration is VAT paid evidence. Definitely better than the half arsed UK equivalent. It should say where and when it was paid if it is the same as mine. Otherwise as per DavidJ - it is really easy - get the broker to sort the registration swap.

The boat will have its official registration number on the bows. If I remember correctly 7th list (7a -xx-xx-xxxx) is for privately and VAT paid boats. If its 6th list its a commercial boat so probably not vat paid.

Bbroomlea

Visit site
Very helpful - thanks everyone

what I thought would be complicated seems like it isn’t.

would moving it to a British flag reduce its resale value back on the Spanish market in a few years time?

now just need to make big decision on moving our boating abroad….heart says yes. Head is still more in the silly idea bucket ?

jrudge

Visit site
I am in Mallorca. As long as you have the time to spend on board then it works well.

We have a squadron 58. I dont know what you are looking to buy but make sure it is big enough to treat as a home whilst you are there. We spend 4 months a year there.

Flights are reasonably cheap ( half terms and end of August coming home can be VERY expensive so book early).

Car hire was dirt cheap but last year was high. This year has been OK ( I was out a few weeks ago) but has now gone to silly rates. If in Palma you dont need a hire car.

You have almost perfect weather 90% of the time and the sea is clear and warm. The main issue with Mallorca is the berthing cost and the Mallorca premium on anything related to a boat.

Who is the broker? Mallorca is a small island and most to the brokers are quite well known.

DavidJ

Visit site
Would moving it to a British flag reduce its resale value back on the Spanish market in a few years time?

I'm in the same position with a UK boat in Spain. I guess the answer is yes, a bit of a hassle for them (Spanish) compared with buying a local Spanish registered boat.
However, I believe our market would be the Brit wanting a boat in the Med with no bureaucracy, buy in pounds, inform the SSR and sail away.

Bbroomlea

Visit site
I am in Mallorca. As long as you have the time to spend on board then it works well.

We have a squadron 58. I dont know what you are looking to buy but make sure it is big enough to treat as a home whilst you are there. We spend 4 months a year there.

Flights are reasonably cheap ( half terms and end of August coming home can be VERY expensive so book early).

Car hire was dirt cheap but last year was high. This year has been OK ( I was out a few weeks ago) but has now gone to silly rates. If in Palma you dont need a hire car.

You have almost perfect weather 90% of the time and the sea is clear and warm. The main issue with Mallorca is the berthing cost and the Mallorca premium on anything related to a boat.

Who is the broker? Mallorca is a small island and most to the brokers are quite well known.

yes the time element is my concern. We Both have full time jobs and kids in school. however we are getting tired of being on Windermere and the only other place in the UK would be the south coast. Which for us would take longer and be more hassle to get to than a flight from Teesside to Palma

the boat has a guaranteed berth in Alcudiamar which would be ok for the first year until we became more familiar with the island. Berthing is only 1500 a year more than we pay now, lake prices being what they are in the UK. Taking it out over winter and stored ashore matches our current berthing costs.

We’ve been offered more for our S34 here in UK than the boat we are looking at which is a S41 so financially is a no brainier. Boat is for sale through Mallorca Sealine dealer - Mallorca Boats so I am hoping no issues would occur with the broker

Bbroomlea

Visit site
I'm surprised by that a berth for an S41 in Alcudia is only £1500 than one for an S34 in Windermere.

my berth costs for Windermere are just over 7300 for the boat and 1000 for the RIB.

been given prices of 31.65 euros a day (11550 a year) for permanent berth = £9625 on current exchange rate across the year.
this is from the broker and the marina tariff.

putting it on hard standing for the winter is 500 euros per month + lifts which would have to be done anyway

julians

Visit site
Cool. Sounds OK but just be care that there aren't any additional costs (lighthouse tax, IVA, water, electricity) which can be material.

as per petes comment, There will be lighthouse fee's on top of that price ,but its not loads of money - we pay 244 euros per year in lighthouse fees for a 9.2m boat in majorca.

Water and elec are usually charged in addition to the mooring fees , just based on what you use, but I guess some marinas could make it all inclusive.