Buying and Surveys-is there a better way....

oldgit

Visit site
Re: boat field.

Bought my Princess 25 there.Think of the smallest boat you thought they ever made and chop that lenght in half.Ps I am the bloke with the scabby old heap who always squeezes into the lock leaving marks all oner your mega yots.

G

Re: boat field.

what's the place called?

PS : I am the bloke who comes into the lock even later than you do, hence squeezing you into the mega yots a bit more.

ArthurWood

Visit site
What % commission do brokers in the UK charge? In the US (in case anyone is interested) it's 15% (7% for houses) and they really work hard at trying to find the right boat for the customer.

Col

Visit site
15% ????? no wonder they try hard.
between 5-10% here, avge seems 8% @vat 17.5%

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Col on Mon Dec 3 19:27:19 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

ArthurWood

Visit site
If 15% is what it takes to sell/buy vs. 8% for nothing.........
I well remember many years ago when we were house hunting in the UK, that many agents gave out house info and didn't even take our names. Do the boat brokers act the same?

G

No Arthur, it\'s not like that anymore..

You download the info yourself off the web, print it out on your own PC then 'phone the broker to arrange a time to view. If he's remembered and is actually there, you pop in to his office and he then gives you the keys if he can find them and if he knows roughly where it is in the marina, he may point you vaguely in the rigth direction. Normally the say something like, "it's over there, you can't miss it, it's the white one called something or other, moored next to another boat".You then have a look round the boat and a good old poke in everywhere you fancy, nick anything that's not bolted down, then wander back to the office, give him back the keys and if you're lucky as an aside he might ask you if you're going to buy it, whilst he's on his mobile 'phone to the girlfriend. No most of them don't have time to take down your name and adress and those that do normally write the info on a post it note that they file in the bin under the desk, especially if you've asked a question.

Can't expect much better service than that now can you for a measly 8% VAT which comes out at near as dammit 10% of the price? No high pressure sales patter here Arthur, they just let you make up your own mind. Of course if you do then cave in under the pressure and decide to buy it or want some further info, they're completely flummoxed 'cos you're about to ruin their plans for the day and interrupt their coffee break, but that's another story.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by colin_maslen on Mon Dec 3 21:37:30 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

Col

Visit site
Re: No Arthur, it\'s not like that anymore..

Colin + Arthur,
V good points made, having given it more thought, your absolutely right !!

ArthurWood

Visit site
Re: No Arthur, it\'s not like that anymore..

Well, Americans may have a reputation for the hard sell, but that's not my experience. Once you get past the "How are you today?' " "Have a nice day" etc and the fact that their humour is different from ours - sarcasm generally goes over their heads, for example, dealing with them is very pleasant. For example, about a year ago we got the "change the boat" bug and got talking to a broker who lives locally. We told him up front that we were only looking and that the probability of changing was remote unless something in our price range really shouted "buy me." He sat down and asked us in detail what kind of boat we would like, price range etc, pulled a list from his computer, we crossed off the not suitables and he set up appointments for us to look at a number of boats, which included driving us to the other side of Florida (400+ mile round trip and buying dinner) to look at some prospects. On each boat, he compared our wants with the boat's specs, then let us take as much time as we wanted on each boat. He discussed our opinions of each boat and made informed comments. We didn't find anything which made us just have to have it and in the meantime the stock market took a dive, so, being retired, we decided to play it safe. He kept in contact for a few months, but always low key, until we told him we were no longer in the market. No problem, says he. So we would certainly go back to him again if we should win the Florida lottery. We have had similar experiences with estate agents(realtors). They are professional, don't get flustered and don't mind us wasting their time - most of them drive Mercedes and BMWs by the way and live in big houses in a very expensive part of the US, so I guess the approach works. Yep, there are many things that are a bit irritating here, but service is not one of them. And, after all, we are guests in their country:)

G

I like Florida

We've just had a bad experience trying to buy a boat. We're feeling a bit sore about it, the temperature here is dropping fast, we've both caught colds so today we bought tickets for Florida for Christmas. (Then tonight the US Government announces a high alert!).

Where's good boating area in Florida? I've always thought it so flat as to be uninteresting after the first 20 minutes or so (but then we've only been on the Everglades). Where should we look at boats in Florida?

BarryD

Visit site
Had Peters in Chichester tried very hard then I would be in a Targa 30 / 33 style of boat now with twin diesels and a marine mortgage to play with. Keys were given out, no sales person showed us the boats (too busy) - we were cash buyers looking in the sub £25k class. Ideal for up-sell into a finance agreement. If I'd had a sniff at a bigger newer boat then I'd have been as weak as dishwater - and so would SWMBO.

Instead we've got a great "starter" boat that will be fun for a year and I won't worry about the odd lock scrape (sorry to all those in Chichester!) or mud ploughing. However I can see myself next November (£5 to me Mr Steward) staring through Peters sales windows...

ArthurWood

Visit site
Re: I like Florida

Sorry about the boat experience Richard, but it was a good thing you didn't go ahead with deal.

If you want to look at boats, the E. Coast of FL is probably the best place. Miami>Ft Lauderdale>Lake Worth area. For boating, the W. coast is more interesting and less crowded; Sarasota, Ft Myers, Naples. We are near Sarasota, won't be here for Christmas but will be back for New Year. Send private e-mail if you plan to drop by. Temp today 30C and l-term f-cast for Dec is for it to continue. Evenings/nights 19-21C. V. pleasant. FL is not as flat as you might think - I rode my bike 53 miles in cent FL on Sat and I found hills!! We also visited the highest point on the peninsula:298ft elevation. Let me know if I can be of any help with your plans.

Bergman

Visit site
Don't disagree

But I can't see how you can make it happen.

The brokers, I think, will not be keen on paying money to the seller, their view usually that money should move in opposite direction.

I would always have a survey done on a boat I was buying if only as a sort of insurance. If I miss something 'oribble on the boat I can have a go at the surveyors PLI.

Might work.

I think the concensus of thread is a generally low opinion of brokers. Perhaps buying direct is a better option. Split brokers fee between both parties and both get a better deal.