Victron Multiplus up and running, but... With a few BUTs!

MapisM

Visit site
There are ways you can automatically do some of that, such as split the system into high current devices and low current devices
Yep, I was aware of the possibility to split AC high and low loads, using AC-1 OUT (which is also inverter powered) and AC-2 OUT (which just passes through AC shore power, if and when present).
And in principle I would have liked to exploit that, but I should have routed an additional pair of sizeable wires from the lazarette astern, through the e/r, and eventually to the general electrical panel amidship. On top of that, existing tubes are already full enough to make snaking additional cables inside them optimistic to say the least.
So, considering that it would have been just a nice to have, I followed the KIS principle! :giggle:

So that confirms our suspicions, you do need the MK3 device. I would say it's well worth having.
Interesting to have a confirmation, thanks again!
I guess I'll byte the bullet and buy an MK3 interface, also because it's not a huge bullet anyway.
That said, using instead Victron Connect on the mobile and install a bluetooth VE Bus Smart Dongle on the Multiplus wouldn't allow also the firmware upgrade, or would it? Interestingly, when I use Victron Connect to "see" the Smart Shunt, among other screens there is one suggesting that it can be used also for firmware upgrades - with the Smart Shunt, at least (see below).
That would be a much more convenient alternative to the MK3 interface, because for "ordinary" system monitoring it's obviously easier and quicker to use the smartphone rather than turn the notebook on and physically connect it to the Multiplus...
RdVbZuOq_o.png

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Yep, I was aware of the possibility to split AC high and low loads, using AC-1 OUT (which is also inverter powered) and AC-2 OUT (which just passes through AC shore power, if and when present).
And in principle I would have liked to exploit that, but I should have routed an additional pair of sizeable wires from the lazarette astern, through the e/r, and eventually to the general electrical panel amidship. On top of that, existing tubes are already full enough to make snaking additional cables inside them optimistic to say the least.
So, considering that it would have been just a nice to have, I followed the KIS principle! :giggle:

Interesting to have a confirmation, thanks again!
I guess I'll byte the bullet and buy an MK3 interface, also because it's not a huge bullet anyway.
That said, using instead Victron Connect on the mobile and install a bluetooth VE Bus Smart Dongle on the Multiplus wouldn't allow also the firmware upgrade, or would it? Interestingly, when I use Victron Connect to "see" the Smart Shunt, among other screens there is one suggesting that it can be used also for firmware upgrades - with the Smart Shunt, at least (see below).
That would be a much more convenient alternative to the MK3 interface, because for "ordinary" system monitoring it's obviously easier and quicker to use the smartphone rather than turn the notebook on and physically connect it to the Multiplus...
Never used the Bluetooth dongle with a Multplus, but the following suggest it should work:

9. Firmware updates

https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...ct_Bluetooth_Smart_dongle_-_Manual-pdf-en.pdf

You may have noticed already that Victron documentation can go around and around. The different interfaces and software do the same. There seems to be something missing from each piece of software, so you need 2 or 3 to get full functionality. Luckily for you, you only want basic services, so i think Victron Connect would be your best bet, whether you use it on your mobile or via the MK3 (as you say, the dongle would be most convenient if it works OK.

MapisM

Visit site
You may have noticed already that Victron documentation can go around and around.
Yeah, I'm well aware of that by now! :LOL:

But actually, I was referring to another BT dongle, the one that relies on an RJ45 cable for connection, as opposed to the so-called "VE direct" connector of the dongle in your link - which BTW I don't think even exists on my Multiplus, where there are two RJ45 sockets instead.
Anyway, this is the dongle I was referring to:
https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa..._Dongle/106441-VE_Bus_Smart_Dongle-pdf-en.pdf

And while looking for "firmware" on this manual, I noticed that they do mention the update, but only for the firmware of the dongle itself, not of the unit the dongle is connected to.
Rather the opposite, in fact: at page 1, there's the following highlighted paragraph:
Note that the dongle cannot be used to configure an inverter/charger.
It is also not possible to update the firmware of an inverter/charger via the dongle.
Read the VictronConnect VE.Bus manual for more specific information on configuring and updating the firmware of an inverter/charger.

So, in a nutshell, it seems that the BT dongle would be fine for monitoring the Multiplus, but not for upgrading its firmware, which can only be done via MK3 interface. Mmm.... It's not like buying both would break the bank, but it's annoying for sure, just as a matter of principle! :unsure:

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Yeah, I'm well aware of that by now! :LOL:

But actually, I was referring to another BT dongle, the one that relies on an RJ45 cable for connection, as opposed to the so-called "VE direct" connector of the dongle in your link - which BTW I don't think even exists on my Multiplus, where there are two RJ45 sockets instead.
Anyway, this is the dongle I was referring to:
https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa..._Dongle/106441-VE_Bus_Smart_Dongle-pdf-en.pdf
My bad, of course there are no VE-Direct ports on the multi. Just been working with mine with Cerbo GX, which is where the VE-Direct ports are on my setup. Been back and forth with VE-Config and Victron Connect on a laptop as well as a Cerbo GX and a Touch 70, plus the VRM portal, different stuff all over the place.
And while looking for "firmware" on this manual, I noticed that they do mention the update, but only for the firmware of the dongle itself, not of the unit the dongle is connected to.
Rather the opposite, in fact: at page 1, there's the following highlighted paragraph:
Note that the dongle cannot be used to configure an inverter/charger.
It is also not possible to update the firmware of an inverter/charger via the dongle.
Read the VictronConnect VE.Bus manual for more specific information on configuring and updating the firmware of an inverter/charger.

So, in a nutshell, it seems that the BT dongle would be fine for monitoring the Multiplus, but not for upgrading its firmware, which can only be done via MK3 interface. Mmm.... It's not like buying both would break the bank, but it's annoying for sure, just as a matter of principle! :unsure:

The Victron Connect manual states:

"Inverter/chargers can be connected to in two ways:
  1. Using USB, this requires the MK3-USB, full details here.
  2. Wirelessly, over Bluetooth. Requires the VE.Bus Smart dongle accessory. The available functionality is monitoring as well as operation of the product: switching between on/off/charger-only and setting the input current limit. Changing the configuration, as well as firmware updating a VE.Bus product, is not supported."

I agree with your nutshell. Looks like the Bluetooth dongle would be worth having on your phone and the ability to switch from charge only to inverter might be useful too, and the MK3 for configuring it.