Buying a yacht

stearman65

Visit site
I am thinking of buying a 28ft motor sailor & using it as a holiday cottage type home for a few days a week. The boat is at one end of the country & the marina base the other end. I plan on having it transported by road. I have a price for the transport but not sure if there would be any extra costs for un stepping & re stepping the deck stepped mast. How much can I expect to pay at the marinas & how much should I expect the transport company to be involved. I live between the two points & would not be able to be present at either end.

Tranona

Visit site
Minimum of £150 to unstep mast, plus same again for preparing for shipping plus VAT. Similar other end if yard are stepping mast. Loading and unloading £150-200 each end. Overall about £1k +VAT. With transport budget £3.5-4k. Estimate based on moving a similar size boat 2 years ago from Neyland to Poole (190 miles) without the mast stepping at this end. Overall cost £2600

Parabordi

Visit site
Minimum of £150 to unstep mast, plus same again for preparing for shipping plus VAT. Similar other end if yard are stepping mast. Loading and unloading £150-200 each end. Overall about £1k +VAT. With transport budget £3.5-4k. Estimate based on moving a similar size boat 2 years ago from Neyland to Poole (190 miles) without the mast stepping at this end. Overall cost £2600
You were done, moved mine 100 miles for £600

wingcommander

Visit site
Just under two years ago. Plymouth to Douglas bank boatyard, 27 " sail boat . £ 1400.00 inc vat . Add £100 each end for mast. Sealand transport. Excellent service. Kept informed though all,process . I wasn't present at either end . Arrived at destination 60min after boat all chocked. Price may have been a return, but an unfamiliar 36 year old engine was the main reason for overland choice.

stearman65

Visit site
Thanks guys
Just had a reply from Maryport Marina, they bring in an outside contractor to step / unstep a mast so can't give me a price. Also said they were almost full.

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks guys
Just had a reply from Maryport Marina, they bring in an outside contractor to step / unstep a mast so can't give me a price. Also said they were almost full.
That can prove expensive because of minimum charge for crane. Sensible to try and shar with others. A boat that size might have a hinged tabernacle that enables you to raise the mast yourself. small enough for a Telehandler rather than a crane as well.

dunedin

Visit site
There is usually a published price for lifting out a mast. BUT most places expect the owner to have already removed all sails, removed the boom, disconnected any electrical wires and generally got everything ready to lift out.
If you have not already done this there are likely to be extra costs - potentially a need to get a rigger to come and do this before the yard will do the lift.
Does vary by location, as to what aspects they are willing to and at what cost.

Kelpie

Visit site
If it's a bilge keeler you may be able to just hire a lorry with a HIAB and that would be a one stop shop for loading, unloading, mast, and transport. But it would be worth being present at both ends.

dunedin

Visit site
But it would be worth being present at both ends.
That is the issue that I fear others may have missed in the original post - the OP said he/she “would not be able to be present at either end”.
But there is generally a lot of preparation needed to be done by the owner before a yard will lift out the mast and the boat is ready to go on a lorry.

stearman65

Visit site
That is the issue that I fear others may have missed in the original post - the OP said he/she “would not be able to be present at either end”.
But there is generally a lot of preparation needed to be done by the owner before a yard will lift out the mast and the boat is ready to go on a lorry.
The sails & boom are off the rig, it's a deck stepped mast so it's just the rigging & wiring to disconnect.

Kelpie

Visit site
No it's a fin keeler unfortunately. See you had a Moody 39, we had a Moody 40 centre cockpit, like a flat on the ocean, 3 sleeping cabins plus the saloon.
That does leave you needing a dedicated boat delivery company, never mind.
We quite like our big old Moody, has safely carried us over 7000nm from the N of Scotland to the Caribbean via the Med. Not perfect but has done the job on budget and with little fuss.

Tranona

Visit site
Yes. with my boat from Neyland, we stripped off everything we could. Then 2 hours of 2 riggers to dismantle the wind generator and stow it in the boat unstep the mast and prepare it for loading. It was going to a different place from the boat so was loaded separately onto the truck - another half hour.