Buying a secondhand Torqueedo

Fergal

Visit site
Our Torqueedo is c14 years old, purchased shortly after they were introduced to the UK. It was used every week during the sailing season until 4 years ago when changing boats it was in store. During the time stored I occasionally checked the battery level and was pleased to see very little decline in charge. Before being brought back into use this year we had it serviced by Golden Arrow Marine in Southampton which included a health check on the battery. The service from Golden Arrow was excellent and reason and they advised that all battery cells were good and were given a copy of the bench test. There was slight corrosion at the motor seal due to water ingress which would have destroyed the internal electronics if we left it much longer.

We have been disappointed with the corrosion to the painted area but will try to abrade and repaint this winter.

Although not as quiet nor has the battery capacity as the latest model I would still recommend it.

noelex

Visit site
According to Off Grid Garage the not 100% storage is a hangover from Lithium Ion batteries where something gets expanded at full charge. LiFePO4, apparently, don't do that so it's not a problem for them. Ours is several years old with no apparent issues🙂
Are they LiFePO4 batteries? Torqeedo make both LFP and LiNMC batteries and I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that the portable outboards were using LiNMC technology.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Cadoha did a review on the Torqueedo and I remember them comparing the gen 1 vs gen 2 models that were much quieter.

The first generation still much quieter than an ICE but definitely more whirry sounding than the 2nd gen and ePropulsion.