Buying a secondhand Torqueedo

Kelpie

Visit site
Might be taking a look at a ~5yr old Torqueedo. Sounds lightly used and the price is pretty good.
I'm aware that the batteries on these things do not last forever, and are very expensive to replace.
How can I tell what sort of life is left in the battery? Is that something you can ascertain from a five minute look, or would you have to actually use it for a day and see how much capacity it still has?
Anything else to look out for?

Supertramp

Visit site
I have an old (10 years ish) Torqeedo. The battery is half the capacity it was, which is fine for a tender. When you go for a motor it calculates the range and tells you the power being used and the speed. From this you can work out the time it will run for at the power setting to get an estimate of the power in the battery. Needs to be fully charged and only an estimate but might give an indication of the capacity loss.

Mine has had occasional cut outs (and restarts) but has been basically reliable. Take great care undoing the screws holding the bottom nacelle - they thread into the plastic and strip easily. Have heard of them needing gearbox overhauls and I replaced the shaft seal as a precaution. Shear pins are a fiddle to change, and if you're unlucky the plastic propellor shears instead making undoing the bolt a real game.

Are they worth it? Secondhand and in good nick at a sensible price then yes.

Would I buy another? Not new and I would evaluate a trolling motor type before deciding on another secondhand. I have a petrol outboard at home and haven't been tempted to use it since getting the Torqeedo. It's nice to use, charges off the 12v system on board, stows easily in bits but I'm not convinced the quality and strength is all you'd expect under the surface.

Kelpie

Visit site
I have an old (10 years ish) Torqeedo. The battery is half the capacity it was, which is fine for a tender. When you go for a motor it calculates the range and tells you the power being used and the speed. From this you can work out the time it will run for at the power setting to get an estimate of the power in the battery. Needs to be fully charged and only an estimate but might give an indication of the capacity loss.

Mine has had occasional cut outs (and restarts) but has been basically reliable. Take great care undoing the screws holding the bottom nacelle - they thread into the plastic and strip easily. Have heard of them needing gearbox overhauls and I replaced the shaft seal as a precaution. Shear pins are a fiddle to change, and if you're unlucky the plastic propellor shears instead making undoing the bolt a real game.

Are they worth it? Secondhand and in good nick at a sensible price then yes.

Would I buy another? Not new and I would evaluate a trolling motor type before deciding on another secondhand. I have a petrol outboard at home and haven't been tempted to use it since getting the Torqeedo. It's nice to use, charges off the 12v system on board, stows easily in bits but I'm not convinced the quality and strength is all you'd expect under the surface.
Interesting write-up, thanks.
I do already have a trolling motor with a lithium battery to power it, but the motor gradually fell apart and I never got around to making a waterproof case for the battery with suitable connectors. I've had to keep replacing the crimped ends due to corrosion, and chop off a few inches of cable each time.
The battery is also a black box so you never know how much power you have left.
Power wise it was ok, definitely not as powerful as our 3.5hp 2 stroke. I found that it fell in to a bit of a niche- if I'm not in a hurry, short distances, etc, I row. And otherwise, I use the 2 stroke. Rarely does the trolling motor seem like the best option.

stranded

Visit site
I’ve got a 10 year old torqueedo we bought as new, and a 10 year old we bought second hand last year as a backup. The original 500 and a bit wh batteries from both are toast, but the 900 odd battery we bought in 2017 is still going strong. It’s a gamble but if the price is right, a worthwhile one I think.

Supertramp

Visit site
Interesting write-up, thanks.
I do already have a trolling motor with a lithium battery to power it, but the motor gradually fell apart and I never got around to making a waterproof case for the battery with suitable connectors. I've had to keep replacing the crimped ends due to corrosion, and chop off a few inches of cable each time.
The battery is also a black box so you never know how much power you have left.
Power wise it was ok, definitely not as powerful as our 3.5hp 2 stroke. I found that it fell in to a bit of a niche- if I'm not in a hurry, short distances, etc, I row. And otherwise, I use the 2 stroke. Rarely does the trolling motor seem like the best option.
Exactly my concerns with the trolling option. A voltmeter and decent connectors a must, plus waterproofing battery and connections. Almost means building a DIY torqeedo. Nothing is simple......

Poignard

Visit site
Pity the 'For Sale' forum limit is so low (£400)

You never know, there just might be someone who has an unused Torqeedo to sell at substantial discount but doesn't fancy the hassle of selling it on eBay ........... ;)

I suppose if somebody wanted one he could always let it be known via the 'Wanted' forum

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
What price a 5year old version ? 300? Curious to know who sells these though?

A recent little used as-new condition small petrol outboard seems to go for about half the price of a new item, so I'd expect an electric one to be similar. They are much more expensive new though. For example, a new Torqeedo 1103 CS with the bag set and a spares kit is about £2200.

Maybe someone has inherited one with a newly bought boat but finds it too big for their use and wants to sell it. Who knows?

Last edited:

fredrussell

Visit site
I’ve got one of the ancient T800 models. I love it but they were still learning back then and I’ve had to do numerous things to keep mine going, mainly in the waterproofing department. I re-celled mine. This needn’t be ruinously expensive and is a pretty straightforward task. When mine dies I shall buy another, no question.

gregcope

Visit site
I have a near 10 year old one.

They changed the batteries to larger 900Wh ones in 2016? So check the battery capacity. Its marked on the label that has the serial number etc..

Mine has mild ali corrosion around some bolts. Cosmetic unless its really bad. I service mine by greasing pins/hindes etc.. and contact clean the electrical connections. No impeller, gearbox or engine oil to service/ replace.

Make sure it charges and ideally fully charge it and see what run time / range it shows. They are not supposed to be stored fully charged.

Some of the older ones had seal issues on the power unit. Would result in errors/issues. If it has lasted this far then it should be fine. Mine is!

You will need the 230V charger. Does it have the 12V charger as well. Will also need the "kill cord" and longer key that secures the battery to the motor unit. The bags are very expensive so good to have. Extra battery or accessories pack (spare lock/kill cord) also good to have.

Check the cables and connectors (both male and female ends) for any damage or corrosion. If these are not in good condition you get random errors that are related to the connection.

Love ours. Would get another, althogh they are not cheap. We charge ours off solar on the boat, so bar the depreciation, cheap running costs. The new ones with the bigger capacity batteries seem even better. Range has never been an issue with ours although its just used to get to the beach or mooring.

oldbloke

Visit site
My bike battery died after being left uncharged all winter. I got it recelled by someone in Torquay for half the price of a new one and the more modern cells increase the capacity by a third. I imagine they would do a torqueedo. I know people on here have done it themselves but for the price I didn't feel it was worth the risk of cooking it up.

Fimacca

Visit site
I just bought a 2nd hand 2022 one. I know the boat and it was little used. Not cheap but half the price of new. Has a 1000 and something watt battery.
Give it a good run up if you can - even in a bucket - the lcd will tell you its charge and range usually, unless too old a model. Use your ears - it should make no noise apart from a faint whirrrrrrr
(I still think it is not working - and it is !)
The only heavy bit is the leg - I love you can assemble on the dinghy in bits without falling over into the sea with a wobbly 4 stroke on the stern

gregcope

Visit site
Where was that info from greg ? I certainly would not leave it charging if not aboard - but why not fully charged?

In my manual it has several references like this;

"Make sure the state of charge always remains ~ 50 % during storage."

For <12months they suggest 50% for >12months 100%

Search here if this is your model or are interested;

https://media.torqeedo.com/downloads/manuals/torqeedo-Travel-manual-DE-EN.pdf

LifePO4 as a chemistry prefers to be kept around 50% SOC for longevity.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
According to Off Grid Garage the not 100% storage is a hangover from Lithium Ion batteries where something gets expanded at full charge. LiFePO4, apparently, don't do that so it's not a problem for them. Ours is several years old with no apparent issues🙂