Burghee halyard.

sakura26

Visit site
What would be the optimum way to setup a separate burghee halyard, including line to use and method of securing flag to such halyard. Thanks in advance, I am thinking mainly of flying any courtesy flag as required.

dunedin

Visit site
Surely a burgee is normally at the masthead - which can be pretty problematic on most modern yachts due to the many lights, wind instruments etc at the masthead.
A courtesy flag on the other hand is generally flown at the starboard cross tree, so a simple eye on the underside of the cross tree and a bit of cheap nylon string does the job.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
As Dunedin suggests, eye (or small block) fixed to underside of spreaders, light line in a loop down to deck.

You can tie it off at deck level to a handrail, to a guard wire, using a rolling hitch on a shroud, or by buying one of those small plastic cleats that clamp to a shroud or to a guard wire stanchion.

You don't want to go too thin with your line. Copy the thickness of that on a similar sized boat nearby and see how you get on. Braided nylon line is fine, but the white stuff tends to soon look a bit grubby. Over the years I've had contrasting port and starboard red & green lines to remind the crew (and me!) of the colours for buoyage and other craft's lights, and one time bought dyneema or some other fancy line, but only because it was in the rope oddments bin and a rather jolly purple colour.

You can just tie on your flags, brogues or whatever each time, or buy small plastic or metal small Inglefield clips - ideally 2 on the line and 2 for each flag you use.

davidmh

Visit site
Easiest way to attach the halyard to the flag. Most flags have a loop in the cord at the top and a plain tail at the bottom. Put a bowline in one end of the halyard and leave the other end plain. Secure the plain end of the halyard to the loop on the top of the flag with a sheet bend and secure the end of the halyard with the bowline to the plain tail at the bottom of the flag with sheet bend. Hoist halyard and secure as mentioned elsewhere. To secure the halyard without the flags just use a sheet bend the through the bowline to make a loop then the halyard cannot unreeve itself. Rig two halyards one to the port spreader and one to the starboard spreader.

David MH

sakura26

Visit site
Thanks for such thorough and prompt replies. Had to Google inglefield clips, so I've definitely learnt something, will endeavour to acquire some this weekend. Something like 4mm dinghy line I'm guessing will be fine for actual halyard.

Wansworth

Visit site
In the merchant service or humble coaster we sent up flags rolled up tightly and held by a slip knot and on arriving at its position the pennant would fly out.Be sure to ensure the eyes are not rusted else the sharp tug will bring down the whole ensemble…

ithet

Visit site
Easiest way to attach the halyard to the flag. Most flags have a loop in the cord at the top and a plain tail at the bottom. Put a bowline in one end of the halyard and leave the other end plain. Secure the plain end of the halyard to the loop on the top of the flag with a sheet bend and secure the end of the halyard with the bowline to the plain tail at the bottom of the flag with sheet bend. Hoist halyard and secure as mentioned elsewhere. To secure the halyard without the flags just use a sheet bend the through the bowline to make a loop then the halyard cannot unreeve itself. Rig two halyards one to the port spreader and one to the starboard spreader.

David MH
So, way back in the scouts I was taught to tie flags onto the halyard line with a clove hitch around the the top toggle, and another clove hitch from the same line around the tail. That way the halyard remains a continuous entity and one will not loose the halyard if the flags break or come undone.

Boathook

Visit site
So, way back in the scouts I was taught to tie flags onto the halyard line with a clove hitch around the the top toggle, and another clove hitch from the same line around the tail. That way the halyard remains a continuous entity and one will not loose the halyard if the flags break or come undone.
I would have to replace my halyards to do that. A good idea though.

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Surely a burgee is normally at the masthead - which can be pretty problematic on most modern yachts due to the many lights, wind instruments etc at the masthead.
A courtesy flag on the other hand is generally flown at the starboard cross tree, so a simple eye on the underside of the cross tree and a bit of cheap nylon string does the job.
The main benefit of flying your burgee from the masthead is that it can be seen best from there. When other boats from your club arrive at an anchorage or a marina and see your burgee flying high above the mast, they will know whom they can raft with or scrounge a drink from. It also serves as a reliable wind indicator, and keeps the birds from messing on the anchor light.
As Dunedin says, it can be problematic to manage a masthead burgee with masthead instruments; however, it can be managed if you hoist the burgee fixed to a burgee staff to lift the burgee well above the masthead electrics. A permanent staff or crook could also be fixed to the masthead with a block for the burgee halyard at its tip (The Royal Thames has instructions on its website for how to do this ?),

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
In the merchant service or humble coaster we sent up flags rolled up tightly . . .
So, way back in the scouts I was taught to tie flags onto the halyard line . . .

That's reminded me that in the Sea Cadets I was taught, and was proud to master, how to pull a flag up hand over hand in such a way as it rose up the flagstaff very smoothly and continuously, and not at all jerkily, while keeping the upward going part of the halyard (below the flag) under control and light tension my one's little fingers.

I also learnt the correct way up for the Union Flag, and a host of other flag related stuff, most of which I've since forgotten, but at the time was inordinately chuffed with myself for the knowledge and skills I'd gained in this area, and for often being selected for doing various ceremonial or signalling flaggery.

Maybe I perhaps missed my true vocation doing something like obscure heraldic insignia, or guiding taxiing aircraft with table tennis bats. :D

Wansworth

Visit site
That's reminded me that in the Sea Cadets I was taught, and was proud to master, how to pull a flag up hand over hand in such a way as it rose up the flagstaff very smoothly and continuously, and not at all jerkily, while keeping the upward going part of the halyard (below the flag) under control and light tension my one's little fingers.

I also learnt the correct way up for the Union Flag, and a host of other flag related stuff, most of which I've since forgotten, but at the time was inordinately chuffed with myself for the knowledge and skills I'd gained in this area, and for often being selected for doing various ceremonial or signalling flaggery.

Maybe I perhaps missed my true vocation doing something like obscure heraldic insignia, or guiding taxiing aircraft with table tennis bats. :D
You can retrain?