Brittany ... no not her .. frogland

Sybarite

Visit site
Re: Ploumanach - Fete de Mer

The biggest festival of all is the Fête Interceltique de Lorient in the first week of August. The musicians often visit the other ports in Britanny afterwards.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Badger

Visit site
Re: Ploumanach - Fete de Mer

Well I was on that cruise between 8th -21st July but that was a few years ago. I have been trying everything on the search engine but come up with nothing so far.

Can anyone help ??

All I could find that was related was this:

Douarnenez 2004
16th-20th July

All the sailors

Between the 16th and 20th of July 2004 a festival for all sea lovers will take place in Douarnenez. Fishermen, rescuers, navy merchants, national navy or yachtsmen, all of those who have written the great pages of the maritime history of Brittany or any other country lulled by the waves, will be present.
Large or small boats, work boats or classic yachts, sail and oar gigs or tall-ships, representing all the regions, will celebrate together the sea and the solidarity of the seamen. A lively fleet that everyone will be able to appreciate through numerous regattas and manoeuvring contests.

<hr width=100% size=1>

charles_reed

Visit site
I've always found the N Breton coast spiky, difficult to discern and generally unwelcoming.
For me S Brittany is far more benign.

So, through le Four channel (I used to do it as a 5 day trip from N Wales), le Conquet, le Moulin Blanc, Morgat (if a little petit bourgeouis), Treboul/Douarnenez, through the Raz to the Odet, la Foret, les Glenans (out of season) and the day-ports down to L'Orient.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kdf

Visit site
Did South Brittany last year with the kids (6 and 2). Spent some time in La Trinite with the crowds and then out to the Islands - they loved Houat - great beach but mind the power cable running across to Hoedic. Glenan is also good as is Groix - nice anchorage on the South East if the weather is calm. Kids enjoyed the trip so much they did the passage back to Dublin and had a blast.

<hr width=100% size=1>

summerwind

Visit site
No one had mentioned Audierne, so I will. My son (12 at the time) and I sat out a bit of a blow there. There all the facilities you need, including nice sandy beaches, and quite confortable on the new pontoons.

You do need to be careful to get the leading marks right in the river and mid-tide flows are quite strong on the ebb. Nice place though.

The other place we both liked was Camaret. Again, good beaches, all facilities and plenty to see and do.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
I was once crewing a boat that called into L'Aber W'rach because it was a tad windy. There was a pleasant wee bar that served Pernod by the pint. I regaled them with a rather full blooded version of 'Scots wha hae' and became adopted by the wife of the man who ran the sailing school.... it all got a bit tricky after that.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

kdf

Visit site
Its in the western 3rd of the bay (if you know what I mean). The transit I had was a building back from the beach (only one there) and the bright yellow channel maker over on Hoedic. My advice is either go well west or stay well over in the east.

I had to help an old frend guy who got caught up on it by diving down about 10/15 feet with a grapnel and rope to take the load off his main anchor. Great fun.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kdf

Visit site
Its in the western 3rd of the bay (if you know what I mean). The transit I had was a building back from the beach (only one there) and the bright yellow channel maker over on Hoedic. My advice is either go well west or stay well over in the east.

I had to help an old french guy who got caught up on it by diving down about 10/15 feet with a grapnel and rope to take the load off his main anchor. Great fun.

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
Re: Paimpol

And the steam train ride up the valley past Lezardrieux to Pontrieux is a fun day out. Book the train in advance as people come from all corneres of france specifically to ride on it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
They even served me mine in a dimple mug. I vaguely recall feeling a bit tired and emotional as the evening wore on - but the ferry seemed to stop at each boat, until it was drunk dry, maybe that was the cause.

Perhaps I should also have stopped after the first pint...

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
I've not seen any transits when we were there (we called in on the way back from La Rochell last year).

Waking up on a calm morning in that anchorage (Treach ar Selous) is just wonderful - even with 100 other boats. Do be aware of the vent solaire - I've been rolled out of my bunk by it in other years - last year the weather wasnt hot enough for it to be an issue. We've always found Hoedic just a bit exposed - maybe we've been unlucky with the weather (and we have to lay quite a long way offshore with 2.7 draft). As others say Sauzon on Belle Ile is delightful - but avoid Le Pallais at all costs - it's unpleasantly (if not dangerously) crowded - the avant port with the ferries is vile, and the town is overrun with budget conscious teenage campers, and facilities to match. The Odet is lovely, anchor at the mouth by the SNO, or just up river from the bridge (we cant get under reliably, but most can). Look out for Tabarlay's Pen Duick further up river, and there are often a couple of Open 60's in the Marina (Mich Desjoyeux and Bernard Stamm were there last year - or maybe its was the year before).

Morgat is delightful if you arent too big - the anchorage can be surprisingly rolly, as can Camaret. Douarnenez has a fascinating museum, and very few visitors berths. Brest is a surprisingly long sail from the sea - but a great area if the weather is fresh - avoind the French nuke subs on Ile Longue - they get very upset if you stray too close. If the weather is really vile, wander up the river to Chateaulun - it's always strange to pass cows when on a boat. If you're at Moulin Blanc (Brest) Olivier de Kersauson runs (when hes not trying to break records) a surprisingly good restaurant (Au Bout ddu Monde if I recall), with a great atmosphere. Even the locals eat there, as does the patron quiet frequently.

If you get to La Trinite (bland in my view, but great facilities) take a moment to look at Christian Fevriers photos - he's based close to the marina.

A real favourite of mine is Ushant if the weather allows - the anchorage (actually there are a few moorings) at the southern end is well sheltered in most wind directions, but dont stay if the weather is forecast to go SSW. Grab some bikes and explore - it really is fascinating place.

<hr width=100% size=1>

roger

Overwinter in Sweden, sail in Northern Baltic, liv
Visit site
Re: Further thoughts...

I did - just after passing La Corne. It proved to me thae advisability of having waymarks all the way up to Treguier!
Actually we mosied off into the shallows and had breakfast. Luckily the fog lightened enough for us to find the channel again before the tide dropped too much.

<hr width=100% size=1>Roger

claymore

Visit site
No we got past that - Definately 'Now's the Day and Nows the Hour....'- Mrs Thatcher was on the throne at the time and I think I'd managed to link her to Edward Longshanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

tcm

Visit site
Re: maellus hiberniae

a very easy link i think. Edward 1st (1272-1307) Longshanks was The Hammer of the Scots, and Mrs Thatcher (1979-1990) often got hammered on scotch.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Re: maellus hiberniae

Ach .. Maggie wiz ra Sledgehammer of Industry .. whether it wiz Scotland,Northumberland,Cumbria,Yorkshire,Lancashire,Midlands,Wales,South West ... where have I missed ... oh the South East .. 'nuff said!

<hr width=100% size=1>
sailboat_e0.gif

tcm

Visit site
Re: Provincial Legends

indeed. The country was in a wonderful condition in 1979, whereas by 1990 everyone was skint! Not. These days everyone seems to own a boat, or a house abroad, or another house, especially those in the labour party.

<hr width=100% size=1>