British Classic Regatta Cowes, July 18-25th

PhillM

Visit site
I will be at the one next door - http://www.cowesclassicsweek.org/

I have been to it 3 times and really enjoyed it. This year there are three classes for classic cruisers with two based on handicap and the third is non-spinnaker class for those of us who don't really race but like to go out and take part.

Handicap is based on KLR and is free, which is another advantage. No need for IRC.

Also I think you will find it a LOT cheaper than the BYC who have a reputation for being for the big spenders. To be clear that prejudice is not based on real fact, just hearsay and might be partly because they didn't reply to me when I asked about membership :)

DoubleEnder

Visit site
There seems to a big overlap in types of entry. My boat is 34' 1952 fractional sloop, sporty but not a race yacht. What do you think would be the 'better' event? Is the Panerai very very upscale?

PhillM

Visit site
There seems to a big overlap in types of entry. My boat is 34' 1952 fractional sloop, sporty but not a race yacht. What do you think would be the 'better' event? Is the Panerai very very upscale?

You would certainly fit in the Cowes Classics week. Some of the racers are very competitive but some are not, and don't wabt to be. I'd suggest that CCW is a broader spectrum. You don't need IRC rating and all the compititors are amatur.

That said I've never been to a Panerai event but I believe that some of the boats have professional skippers and the fact that the have race videos taken from helicopters tells me it's more upmarket.

Horses for courses. Why not call Jill at RLSC,metal her what you are looking for racing wise and ask her opinion?

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
You would certainly fit in the Cowes Classics week. Some of the racers are very competitive but some are not, and don't wabt to be. I'd suggest that CCW is a broader spectrum. You don't need IRC rating and all the compititors are amatur.

That said I've never been to a Panerai event but I believe that some of the boats have professional skippers and the fact that the have race videos taken from helicopters tells me it's more upmarket.

Horses for courses. Why not call Jill at RLSC,metal her what you are looking for racing wise and ask her opinion?

Some of the boat have professional skippers!?maybe about 5 of them, this would be the Metre boats at a guess. The rest of us normal people sail our own boats. Some are very competitive and some of us are not!

It is upmarket to the extent that Pamerai sponsor us and do the filming, th express boat and provide the free coffee,snacks and wine. They also do the hospitality tent. It's a great week, and if you don't race, you can join the cruising class and laze around the Solent for the week while enjoying the hospitality!

Mind you I think it's cheaper to join the BCYC and then do the regatta than enter as a non-member.
I've been about 6 times, an raced half of them. The racing has got better in he last couple of years and includes an RTI, but clockwise.

If you are about come and say hello to me!

Last edited:

PhillM

Visit site
You guys may also be interested in this one - I got an email about it yesterday. If you are, pm me your email address and I will forward the NOR and Social documents over to you.

The Royal London Yacht Club invites International 6 metre, 8 metre, Spirits of Tradition and IRC Classic Cruisers to enter the Cowes Classics "Tuning Fork" Regatta.
A new event in the yachting calendar for classic yachts designed pre 1970, with a hull material of wood or metal, and a minimum length on deck of 24ft (7.32m), and Spirit of Tradition yachts provided they are to a classic design.

Six races are scheduled from a Committee Boat in the Central Solent, with a full shore-side programme, including watching the RYS Bi-Centenary Beat Retreat with the Band of the Royal Marines from the Club Balconies/The Parade, and an appropriately themed Club Supper on Friday night, and a Summer Spit Roast on Saturday night.
Moorings have been reserved in Cowes Yacht Haven.

Expressions of interest by 30th April, with entries closing on 29th May.

The Royal London Yacht Club will maintain a list of owners seeking crew and crew availability.

I attach the NOR, Entry Form, and social event information.

Jill

DoubleEnder

Visit site
You guys may also be interested in this one - I got an email about it yesterday. If you are, pm me your email address and I will forward the NOR and Social documents over to you.

The Royal London Yacht Club invites International 6 metre, 8 metre, Spirits of Tradition and IRC Classic Cruisers to enter the Cowes Classics "Tuning Fork" Regatta.
A new event in the yachting calendar for classic yachts designed pre 1970, with a hull material of wood or metal, and a minimum length on deck of 24ft (7.32m), and Spirit of Tradition yachts provided they are to a classic design.

Six races are scheduled from a Committee Boat in the Central Solent, with a full shore-side programme, including watching the RYS Bi-Centenary Beat Retreat with the Band of the Royal Marines from the Club Balconies/The Parade, and an appropriately themed Club Supper on Friday night, and a Summer Spit Roast on Saturday night.
Moorings have been reserved in Cowes Yacht Haven.

Expressions of interest by 30th April, with entries closing on 29th May.

The Royal London Yacht Club will maintain a list of owners seeking crew and crew availability.

I attach the NOR, Entry Form, and social event information.

Jill

When is it?