Bramble Bank

PeterV

Visit site
I noticed today seemed to be the lowest tide of the year (0.2m at 1729) so we sailed there this afternoon and anchored by the Bramble Beacon in 5m. The bank appeared at about 1645. We dinghied ashore and were joined by 3 kayakers who had come from Warsash. By 1800 the bank was covered again and we had a gentle sail back to Gosport in a dying breeze. Ticked off something I’ve wanted to do for a long time.

Attachments

• IMG-20240311-WA0011_Original.jpeg
    IMG-20240311-WA0011_Original.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 140

dancrane

Visit site
There really ought to be a Youtube video of someone with a garden roller on the Bramble bank, preparing the pitch for the annual cricket match.

Stemar

Visit site
I noticed today seemed to be the lowest tide of the year (0.2m at 1729) so we sailed there this afternoon and anchored by the Bramble Beacon in 5m. The bank appeared at about 1645. We dinghied ashore and were joined by 3 kayakers who had come from Warsash. By 1800 the bank was covered again and we had a gentle sail back to Gosport in a dying breeze. Ticked off something I’ve wanted to do for a long time.
Nothing unusual about that - Sunsailers park there all the time ;)

Neeves

Visit site
I'm a colonialist - so had to read this as I did not understand ...

Brambles here are a noxious weed, grubbed out and/or poisoned. Conversely - having left the 'Mother Country' we retain fond memories and when in season pick those that escaped and make desserts.

Funny world.

Jonathan

Stemar

Visit site
Until a few ships go past just as you are starting to settle or lift.
I'm not sure if a fin is any better. I once watched a yacht that got it wrong going past Ryde sands. They were laying right over on their side and were just starting to lift when a series of cruise liners came out of Southampton. They were getting seriously bounced, badly enough that I called the Coastguard, who were aware and in contact with the boat.

capnsensible

Visit site
I went aground once on Bramble Bank. Fin keel Sadler 34. Was a dark and wet winters evening and I was pushing my luck going from Cowes to Gosport, all of us wanting to get back quickly as had overstayed an afternoon for a few beers in The Vectis. We all learned how a trip can actually take two hours longer if you don't pay attention!

Main thing I remember though was making a link call (remember them) on vhf via Niton Radio (iirc) to a land line telephone number.

Stemar

Visit site
My first thought was to wonder what you were doing that far north on your way to Gosport, but I remembered the time our engine decided it had had enough going up to Newport, and, like it or not, we had to sail back to Gosport. Between the wind and the tide, our first tack out of the Medina took us west of Bramble and the second along the N Passage. Snapdragons are lovely little boats, but they're best treated as motorsailers when the wind is being unhelpful

STATUE

Visit site

PeterV

Visit site
I wonder if that will be possible this year. I can’t see any particularly low tides later in the year.

NPMR

Visit site
Many moons ago, we left Cherbourg in a Cutlass 27. Decca Dinghy position device, advised position "suspect" about 6 miles out as the fog came down. Thereafter we groped our way back to UK aiming for Yarmouth.

First sight of land was the beach huts, close up, west of Hurst Castle. We'd sailed straight over Bramble Bank without knowing it! Never gave it a thought!

Turned right and followed the beach in to the Solent and set a compass course into Lymington, as visibility was so poor.

Prefer GPS these days.

xcw

Visit site
Many moons ago, we left Cherbourg in a Cutlass 27. Decca Dinghy position device, advised position "suspect" about 6 miles out as the fog came down. Thereafter we groped our way back to UK aiming for Yarmouth.

First sight of land was the beach huts, close up, west of Hurst Castle. We'd sailed straight over Bramble Bank without knowing it! Never gave it a thought!

Turned right and followed the beach in to the Solent and set a compass course into Lymington, as visibility was so poor.

Prefer GPS these days.
Gosh, if you were coming in via the Needles your navigation was a long way out; Bramble Bank is just off Cowes not Hurst :ROFLMAO:

NPMR

Visit site
Put it down to being addled!

Of course it was Shingles Bank.

That's what really is thread 'drift'! Apologies.

PS it was some 40 years ago and I may not be in my first flush of youth.