Brackets to hold coax off insulated backstay

robmcg

Visit site
Anyone know where to source some brackets to offset the coax cable from an insulated backstay? Hoping to recommission the hf radio aboard and use the existing insulated backstay.

MM5AHO

Visit site
I use 10mm diameter plastic tubes about 75mm long. A long cable tie goes twice though it and at one end wraps around the stay, and the other end ties round the coax. The tie sort of forms a figure 8. The length of tube can be varies to set the offset, and if you don't have cable ties long enough, use two end to end.

Martin_J

Visit site
And I've done the same as MM5AHO but used the oval/flat type of trunking that you'd run wires in and bury under plaster.

Since then though I've removed them and now use a 21ft vertical whip.

Martin_J

Visit site
BobSmith at YachtCom has this photo showing what we're trying to describe..

backstay standoffs.png

It also clearly shows the feed wire taking a 180 degree turn at the top so that any water ingress doesn't head directly down within it..

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I use 10mm diameter plastic tubes about 75mm long. A long cable tie goes twice though it and at one end wraps around the stay, and the other end ties round the coax. The tie sort of forms a figure 8. The length of tube can be varies to set the offset, and if you don't have cable ties long enough, use two end to end.
Exactly what I do. Works very well but the cable ties need replacement periodically as they get UV damage.

Neeves

Visit site
We have done as suggested by Martin_J, and others, ours is a slight variant. We used a fibreglass tube used as a sail batten 10mm ID and black cable ties. Black is reputed to be more UV resistant - I cannot validate that. Our HF radio and aerial has been in use for over 20 years - aerial works perfectly. We carry lots of spare heavy duty black cable ties and I replace as needed. Our cable ties are about 8mm wide - the widest we can easily source.

It is inevitable that someone will use the stay as a hand hold at some stage - make sure your arrangement is robust.

You may be able to source an old VHF whip aerial in a fibre glass tube in a marina skip , it would make an excellent tube for the SSB aerial.

The tube needs to be long enough you cannot touch the top where the wire exits, or enters.

SSB is seen by most as old fashioned - but if you can source one cheaply - is free to use (though you may need a 'station' licence (the yacht) and an operators licence). Though whether either is policed - don't know. We have never been asked, but we have both licences.

Jonathan

William_H

Visit site
Anyone know where to source some brackets to offset the coax cable from an insulated backstay? Hoping to recommission the hf radio aboard and use the existing insulated backstay.
I would think it is not actually coaxial cabler the OP is using to connect antenna coupler to back stay. You can use the centre of RG8U coax but remove the outer screen. Any screen that is earthed will add a lot of capacitance and confuse the antenna coupler. As I understand it. ol'will

Martin_J

Visit site
The things I find when I clear out the drawer under my desk at work...

20230601_172157.jpg

A whole pile of short tubes that I'd used for that very purpose..

There were more but this was the first handful!!