Bow thrusters

doris

Visit site
Does anyone have first hand experience of JetThruster bow thrusters. The theory looks great but in practice ????

stuartwineberg

Visit site
My pal had one, very powerful but it took up loads of room internally and he had problems with corrosion and fractures. Seemed to me not to be a fully developed technology

Bodach na mara

Visit site
In theory it has always attracted me. A simple experiment with a hose demonstrates that the thrust when the outlet is clear of the water is much greater than when the outlet is immersed. Then I wondered how it would operate in a marina for example. I imagine that a high velocity jet of water may just create problems for people on other boats!

stuartwineberg

Visit site
In theory it has always attracted me. A simple experiment with a hose demonstrates that the thrust when the outlet is clear of the water is much greater than when the outlet is immersed. Then I wondered how it would operate in a marina for example. I imagine that a high velocity jet of water may just create problems for people on other boats!
Yep, if he used it to push off from a pontoon it created a fountain that you wouldn’t want to be near, they are powerful

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The theory looks fine but in practice the force that is generated by a high pressure low flow jet is much less that a low pressure high flow type unit.

So a low pressure and high flow has much better efficiency as is a conventional bow thruster

You need to look at the fluid mechanics theory of axial flow pumps