Bow Thruster Control Circuitry

Birchwood33

Visit site
The controller introduces a 2 second delay switching between port/starboard. This is so you don't wreck the motor/gearbox by instantly switching directions.
The controller also introduces a timer. (10 mins.) This is so you don't leave the thing on and accidentally operate it.
Other than that it does nothing fancy. You can get rid of it completey if you wish because ultimately it is just connects 3 wires at the thruster end. A common in the middle that is connected to one of the other two wires. Which one depends upon port/starboard. The other wiring is just to power up the controller board.
We don't have a controller. Just two foot switches. One mounted either side of the Binnacle.
View attachment 35380
The controller introduces a 2 second delay switching between port/starboard. This is so you don't wreck the motor/gearbox by instantly switching directions.
The controller also introduces a timer. (10 mins.) This is so you don't leave the thing on and accidentally operate it.
Other than that it does nothing fancy. You can get rid of it completey if you wish because ultimately it is just connects 3 wires at the thruster end. A common in the middle that is connected to one of the other two wires. Which one depends upon port/starboard. The other wiring is just to power up the controller board.
We don't have a controller. Just two foot switches. One mounted either side of the Binnacle.
View attachment 35380
Hi Talulah, do you know the colour of the three wires? Be very grateful.
Michael

MarkP1

Visit site
Hi,
I wired out my control box a while ago and it works fine. I just have to remember not to switch directions instantly. It was a VP QL although I think a little larger.
My QL bowthruster ceased working about 2 years ago and I had been putting off playing with it as access is a bit of a nightmare. It involves squirming in as far as possible through the hole left in the front cabin bed when the drawer is removed. My ribs are still sore two days later.
On the web I found this excellent troubleshooting guide

https://www.great-water.com/PDF/files/service_notes/QL-Thruster-troubleshooting.pdf

This guide also gives all the wiring details.

After following this with the help of a friend who is very electrically knowledgable we determined that the control box was knackered. Getting to the connections with the control box in-situ was impossible but it could be removed by bending back the locator tabs either end and snipping the cable tie. Once removed access was possible.

To wire it out I used a chocolate box connector to connect:-
wire 1 pink, (the supply) to 5 brown (switch common feed)
wire 2 green (contactor) to 7 white (switch direction)
wire 3 blue (contactor) to 6 green (switch direction)
If you get 6 and 7 reversed the bow thruster will work in the opposite directions (as I found out so I then had to get in the hole again).

There are then 2 unused wires - a ground and the temp sensor which I taped over.

The bow thruster which had been out of action now works.

The control panel introduces a delay so it is now necessary to be aware to pause for 2 seconds when moving from one direction to the other. There is also now no temperature sensor but since I never use it for longer than a few seconds I don't think this is a problem.
I think it is possible that it could be the temp sensor which has failed.

The original control box is no longer available but I did come across some possible replacements but I wasn't sure they would work and they all shipped from abroad and were about £600 which I didn't think was worth spending on a 25 year old bow thruster.

I don't know if this will be exactly the same as yours.

Birchwood33

Visit site
Hi,
I wired out my control box a while ago and it works fine. I just have to remember not to switch directions instantly. It was a VP QL although I think a little larger.
My QL bowthruster ceased working about 2 years ago and I had been putting off playing with it as access is a bit of a nightmare. It involves squirming in as far as possible through the hole left in the front cabin bed when the drawer is removed. My ribs are still sore two days later.
On the web I found this excellent troubleshooting guide

https://www.great-water.com/PDF/files/service_notes/QL-Thruster-troubleshooting.pdf

This guide also gives all the wiring details.

After following this with the help of a friend who is very electrically knowledgable we determined that the control box was knackered. Getting to the connections with the control box in-situ was impossible but it could be removed by bending back the locator tabs either end and snipping the cable tie. Once removed access was possible.

To wire it out I used a chocolate box connector to connect:-
wire 1 pink, (the supply) to 5 brown (switch common feed)
wire 2 green (contactor) to 7 white (switch direction)
wire 3 blue (contactor) to 6 green (switch direction)
If you get 6 and 7 reversed the bow thruster will work in the opposite directions (as I found out so I then had to get in the hole again).

There are then 2 unused wires - a ground and the temp sensor which I taped over.

The bow thruster which had been out of action now works.

The control panel introduces a delay so it is now necessary to be aware to pause for 2 seconds when moving from one direction to the other. There is also now no temperature sensor but since I never use it for longer than a few seconds I don't think this is a problem.
I think it is possible that it could be the temp sensor which has failed.

The original control box is no longer available but I did come across some possible replacements but I wasn't sure they would work and they all shipped from abroad and were about £600 which I didn't think was worth spending on a 25 year old bow thruster.

I don't know if this will be exactly the same as yours.
Wow thanks, I understand it better now. So I have a working touch control and module, but I want to connect a thruster control on the flydeck. I bought a Vetus BpSE2 control unit with only 4 wires as in pic. Im guessing that red and black are power and gnd inputs, but there are only2 other wires, not enough for common, left and right direction.

Attachments

• A485109D-6F62-4E55-8152-CBA481E86D9E.png
    A485109D-6F62-4E55-8152-CBA481E86D9E.png
    974.9 KB · Views: 7

MarkP1

Visit site
Hi Plum,
The link does seem to have vanished as does the whole of Great Water. I have them printed out somewhere. I'll try to scan them in and upload the file.

st599

Visit site
It's very hard to reverse engineer a PCB without a photo but I'd guess there is a timer circuit in there so that if you are running the motor one way then quickly flip the joystick the other way it introduces a second or two of delay.

If this is your own boat, and you're careful, and want to save money, you could dispense with the time delay functionality and just switch the motor with a pair of relays. Usual disclaimers apply!

If you can see a shunt anywhere then parts of the board might also measure current and do something (I dunno what) with that data. Again, if you're careful and happy to take the risk, you could just jettison all that functionality
Presumably it may have an RC circuit to slow the initial spin up to reduce the inrush current.

MarkP1

Visit site
Troubleshooting guide attached with thanks to Great Water Marine Systems who don't appear to be around any more.

Attachments

• Bowthruster page one.pdf
    454.1 KB · Views: 16
  • bowthruster pages 2 and 3.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Wow thanks, I understand it better now. So I have a working touch control and module, but I want to connect a thruster control on the flydeck. I bought a Vetus BpSE2 control unit with only 4 wires as in pic. Im guessing that red and black are power and gnd inputs, but there are only2 other wires, not enough for common, left and right direction.

This will not work with your bow thruster. These controls use CAN bus

You can use some of the Side Power/Sleipner controls, this type should work:

Touch Panel Single - Kuranda UK Ltd